StrikeBase HD Charger: OK for the Turbo??

Remmy700P

Reaction score
Website
www.pesisolar.com
Current Phone Model
DROID Turbo
This charger solution boasts a couple of things. One, its MicroUSB plug can be inserted in either direction, so no having to flip it around or risk breaking off the connector pins 'cause you tried to jam it in the wrong way. Second, it charges at 12W/2.4A, so charging power is right up there for tablets.

Any opinions on the usability of this charging power/rate on the Turbo?

StrikeBase™ HD Kit | by Scosche

Thanks friends!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Looks like a nice charger for sure but it doesn't adhere to the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 standard so even though it will charge quickly it won't match the performance of a 2.0 standardized charger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Remmy700P

Remmy700P

Reaction score
Website
www.pesisolar.com
Current Phone Model
DROID Turbo
In what way does it not adhere to QC 2.0? The "2.0 Class A" specification within the Turbo manages charge rates up to 36W/3.0A, yes?

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
QC 2.0 changes voltage as well. Power=Voltage x Current, thus 12W=5V x 2.4A, while 36W=12V x 3A.

To get 36W at 5V you would need 7.2A, which is totally insane on a uUSB connector (not to mention the voltage drop on the cable at that current).

A regular phone cannot withstand more than the typical 5V coming from a standard USB port.

Phone with QC 2.0 have special charging ICs that can handle higher voltage.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I am referring to the StrikeBase charger, not the one that comes with the Turbo. 12W at 2.4A means it is a standard 5V charger. Yes, with 2.4A will charge quicker than other 5V chargers with 1A or less, but not as fast as a QC 2.0 charger. I do not recall the exact specs of the Turbo charger, but if it is 36W it is obviously three times the power of the StrikeBase.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I guess we must be talking about two different thing, because at the page you linked in your post I see written: "The superCUBE features a Perfect Charge USB port that boasts up to 12W/2.4A of power"

and

"this compact 12 Watt USB Wall charger gets even smaller, making it the best phone charger on the market."

I do not see 36W or QC 2.0 mentioned anywhere.

You could certainly use it with the Turbo and it seems a well built charger. The reversible plug is a smart idea.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
In what way does it not adhere to QC 2.0? The "2.0 Class A" specification within the Turbo manages charge rates up to 36W/3.0A, yes?
In order to use the Quick Charge 2.0 certification it must follow the charging process exactly as specified my Qualcomm. Just because it can supply 36 Watts or 3 Amps doesn't mean that the charging circuitry in the phone will utilize the full power capabilities. The Quick Charge 2.0 technology utilizes three different voltages and wattages (see image below), in combination to moderate the charging rate in order to most efficiently charge at the highest power possible while not causing significant damage to the battery's lifespan.

Unless the phone recognizes the charger as having all the necessary voltages and current levels, 5V @ 2.85A, 9V @ 2.85A, & 12V @ 2.15A it will only utilize the 5 Volt source and at a maximum of 2 Amps. It will certainly charge faster than regular chargers but not nearly as quickly as a 2.0 or 3.0 charger will.

7dbe56647e9cc887e340e98ec3d17843.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: