Stop me from jumping....

WizeGuyDezignz

Reaction score
I just sold my HTC Rezound and got my Razr Maxx from someone locally only about 5 days ago. In short, I miss my Rezound.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, let me explain. I am basing this solely off my experience at work where I spend 40+ hours of my week. Other than that, I really like this phone and want it to work out for me.

In my office here at work, I have always had bad reception with Verizon, regardless of the phone. It's just the way that this building is and the fact that there isn't a Verizon tower close enough to get good reception. Supposedly they are going to install a Verizon tower in our parking lot, but who knows when or if that will really happen.

With that being said, my Rezound held 4G for most of the day, albeit barely. But it did for most of my day and when it dropped 4G, the transition to 3G was pretty seamless.

With my Maxx, I am having major problems holding 4G or connectivity at all several times throughout my work day. If I open the Play Store or apps like Facebook, it will say no connection even when the 4G icon is visible. Then it will turn white at times too.

To its credit, I get good reception outside of work and at home which is true for every Verizon phone that I have owned (Incredible, Thunderbolt, Charge, Rezound).

So what gives? Without going back to a Rezound, what are my other options? The Nexus is much worse in this department correct?

Any advice would help, thanks!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Couple things I would consider are.

1) How is your connection on 3G? If you are at work presumably near a computer and only checking FB is 4G really necessary for that? If your 3G connection is good then switch to CDMA only and be nice and happy.

2) If your 3G signal is no good either, what about getting one of those network extenders for your office? That would give everyone with a Verizon phone full signal (depending on the size of your office of course) since it is like having a little tower inside your office.

OP
W

WizeGuyDezignz

Reaction score
Couple things I would consider are.

1) How is your connection on 3G? If you are at work presumably near a computer and only checking FB is 4G really necessary for that? If your 3G connection is good then switch to CDMA only and be nice and happy.

2) If your 3G signal is no good either, what about getting one of those network extenders for your office? That would give everyone with a Verizon phone full signal (depending on the size of your office of course) since it is like having a little tower inside your office.

It's funny, I actually just put my phone into CDMA only mode to see how it goes. I will report back on that one, thanks!

As for the network extender, how do they work and where can I get one?

Thanks!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You can get them on the Verizon website. I called customer service and explained that I had terrible service and I was unsatisfied at my house because my apartment complex was blocking the signal and they gave me it for half off.

What you do is hook it up to your network and run a GPS cord from the device near a window somewhere. From there you can set restrictions on it to allow only certain numbers or open it up for everyone.

OP
W

WizeGuyDezignz

Reaction score
You can get them on the Verizon website. I called customer service and explained that I had terrible service and I was unsatisfied at my house because my apartment complex was blocking the signal and they gave me it for half off.

What you do is hook it up to your network and run a GPS cord from the device near a window somewhere. From there you can set restrictions on it to allow only certain numbers or open it up for everyone.

Oh ok, sounds like a great idea! Now just to get our IT department to sign off on it. I have major doubts with them.

On the other hand, reception is embarrassingly bad today. I can't hold any data connection to save my life today. My Rezound always held some sort of connection at all times. This is very disheartening.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It could also be other factors as well. My son has a Rezound and our data reception is very similar... if I have problems, he does also and vice versa. We live very rural so no 4g but even 3g can be hit or miss.

Also, it seems that recently many people have been reporting dropping data where they didn't have problems before and the speculation is that Verizon is up to something (a Verizon problem as opposed to a phone problem).

There are a few apps that might give you more information or help with your connection.

You could try Motorola restore connectivity app, fresh network app, fcc test and open signal apps. The first two apps are supposed to give you a better connection. The second two apps give you information about the towers you are connecting two and the towers that are available.

Don't give up. It is a great phone!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It could also be other factors as well. My son has a Rezound and our data reception is very similar... if I have problems, he does also and vice versa. We live very rural so no 4g but even 3g can be hit or miss.

Also, it seems that recently many people have been reporting dropping data where they didn't have problems before and the speculation is that Verizon is up to something (a Verizon problem as opposed to a phone problem).

There are a few apps that might give you more information or help with your connection.

You could try Motorola restore connectivity app, fresh network app, fcc test and open signal apps. The first two apps are supposed to give you a better connection. The second two apps give you information about the towers you are connecting two and the towers that are available.

Don't give up. It is a great phone!

I'll second this information...and add a tiny bit. The additional thing I will mention is Data Enabler Widget, which I find extremely helpful when Verizon is "having connectivity issues", though it seem to happen in some areas at one time and then in other areas in another. If you see the service has dropped off, click the widget and the green light will go out...then click again and the green light will go on. In a few seconds you should see full connectivity again.

This could all be part of their "network balancing" algorithms, which both run constantly and then sometimes get "tweaked" which causes things to kind of come un-settled for a bit. Think of it this way...if they can tweak the power outputs or aim of three or four cell sites and antennas in an area, and save just tiny bit of power, yet still get comparable coverage that they are getting right now with one tower that's putting out lots of power, then multiply that by the then's or hundreds of thousands of cell sites nationwide, the cost savings could be monumental.

For you, I believe the problem will eventually resolve itself. You may be disappointed with reception in your immediate area for a time, but eventually we'll all be so deeply bathed in the 4G that we'll all be glowing when looked at by Green Flies! :blink:

Reaction score
I always had a full 3g signal in my apt untill we had the 2nd big sunflare this year. now i loose signal. usualy it will say i have a full 3g signal but when i make a call it drops to 1 bar no 3g no 1x just 1 bar. there is no 4g here

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I am not 100% sure but I think 3g is not supposed to work while using the phone. I know who knows the answer...

FoxKat, where are you?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
As usual, TisMyDroid, you're right. With 3G and while on a call, you have only texting data available. If you are on a 4G network however, you can talk, text, video-chat and surf. Now, I understand that the forbidden fruit is supposed to be announcing a way that they can "facetime" with a 3G network, but that's no big deal since Tango and other apps out there can do it already.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you are on 3g only (Wi-Fi and 4g off), while talking on the phone you are able to navigate a website or open an internet necessary app? I always thought that was one of the limitations of 3g. I wonder if that is possible on my Razr or if it is only some phones that are capable?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No love for Razr Maxx on this one. On 3g only, it will not connect while on a phone call. I thought that was a limitation of 3g compared to 4g but must be a phone specific limitation.

born2golf

Reaction score
I believe you mentioned you were in an office?? Is there no wifi in your office? That sounds like a much simpler way to go than getting your IT to signoff on a verizon signal extender. Generally speaking I recommend everyone connect via WiFi when it is available, mostly because it uses less power, and is faster than 3g. and you can make calls at the same time.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If you are on 3g only (Wi-Fi and 4g off), while talking on the phone you are able to navigate a website or open an internet necessary app? I always thought that was one of the limitations of 3g. I wonder if that is possible on my Razr or if it is only some phones that are capable?

The Rezound, like the Thunderbolt, supports SVDO - simultaneous voice and data over 3G on CDMA networks. Since it requires some additional hardware, it's something that the manufacturer has to choose to include, and so far I believe only HTC has been doing it on Verizon. It's not a completely stable feature, which is why Verizon doesn't advertise it at all (plus the fact that not all of their phones do it, which would confuse many customers). Motorola hasn't included it in any of their devices, but it would be nice if they did.