Stock music player.. can I uninstall it

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Without it screwing up my phone? I have a music player I like and it works great. The stock one likes to just randomly play whenever it feels like it.

The reason I ask about deleting it is that I never setup a plylist with the stock one, only with the one I downloaded. Yet, the stock one now has that same playlist. My mind now thinks they are integrated. Like how Handcent uses the stock messenger.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
If you are rooted you can remove it. Mine is removed and I use Cubed (3) Music Player. It is loads better and even has an album art search.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
excellent. thanks keith. Off to delete it now.

Edit: Easy stuff. Should have asked about this awhile ago. :)

Last edited:

TheRandom1

Reaction score
I'm trying to delete it on mine too but cannot figure it out. How did you do it?

keithsmith22

Reaction score
This is off of the Bugless 0.4 Forum. Are you familiar with his scripts? If so, run the script "switchmusic". Read the bold portion before running the script, it should work nicely. I personally use Sapphire 1.1.1 and it has a Remove Music script that go rid of it for me. This script will just replace the stock one with the one you want therefore removing the stock one.

Script - switchmusic

To use "switch" scripts:
1. Download desired file
2. Place on sdcard
3. Run script

TheRandom1

Reaction score
I am somewhat familiar with the scripts, but I do not want to replace the app with another one, I was hoping to hide the stock one. I stream all of my music via subsonic, so I don't have a need to put music on the phone, so if the app is gone, I'm happy.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
OK. If you have Root Explorer you can go to the /system/app folder and rename it or if you are familiar with Terminal Emulator you can go in and rename it that way. If neither of those float your boat and you happen to be using Launcher Pro I know you can hide apps from the Launcher in there. It doesn't alter the file just hide it from the apps that are showing.