Default Android Music Player no longer available after Rocket Player uninstall

nitrosport_5

Reaction score
I have been using the default android music player ever since i have had an android phone. I had an .m4a song that i wanted to listen to and the default player would not play it. I downloaded rocket player, and it played just fine. BUT i did not like the layout of rocket player as much as what i was used to so i deleted it thinking i could just go back to the default music player..well i was mistaken. Now there is no music player on my phone. The default one is gone. There is still the Google play music app but i have had it disabled for quite some time. So now if i try and open even a simple .mp3, my phone has no idea what to do with it. What i am looking for is the default simple music player back. Is there any way to fix this issue? or do i need to do a factory reset. There is an "android music player" on the play store but funny enough it is on there by the same people that make rocket player, and every time you launch that app it tells you about rocket player.....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
BUMP anybody>

When you deleted rocket player, did you do an uninstall? I might suggest reinstalling and then uninstalling it again. You may also try installing it and then clearing the default before uninstalling again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
nitrosport_5

nitrosport_5

Reaction score
When you deleted rocket player, did you do an uninstall? I might suggest reinstalling and then uninstalling it again. You may also try installing it and then clearing the default before uninstalling again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. I have tried both of those things and that does not seem to help. When i have only rocket player installed, there are "no defaults set". If i install a second music player as well it will alow me to make rocket player default, and then i am able to clear it.

where is the original .apk for the music app located in the directories? I am 99% sure there was an icon in my apps that said "music" or similar that launched the default app. Now, even when i am in the file browser looking through my mp3s, if i want totry and play one it says "Unable to open this type of file" unless i have Rocket player, winamp or any other music app installed. I wouldnt think installing an ap from the play store would have the privileges to delete a default application. my phone is just a stock droid bionic on unrooted Android 4.1.2

JRTStudio

Reaction score
Hello from JRT Studio,

I can confirm that Rocket Player doesn't do anything to delete any other music players on your device. It doesn't have the permission to do such an action. Plus, we aren't that mean. :)

If you have an older phone, sometimes you can "Uninstall Updates" from Google Play to get the original "Music" application back. Google installs "Play Music" over top of the "Music" app, which is part of the reason that we created the "Android Music Player" you are referring to.

Also, your shouldn't be getting told about Rocket Player every time you launch Android Music Player. Just press "Cancel" instead of back to disable this message from now on.

Lastly, feel free to tell us what you don't like about Rocket Player. I can't fix "I don't like the layout". :)

-Justin

Vasiliy.zhukov

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have tried both of those things and that does not seem to help. When i have only rocket player installed, there are "no defaults set". If i install a second music player as well it will alow me to make rocket player default, and then i am able to clear it.

where is the original .apk for the music app located in the directories? I am 99% sure there was an icon in my apps that said "music" or similar that launched the default app. Now, even when i am in the file browser looking through my mp3s, if i want totry and play one it says "Unable to open this type of file" unless i have Rocket player, winamp or any other music app installed. I wouldnt think installing an ap from the play store would have the privileges to delete a default application. my phone is just a stock droid bionic on unrooted Android 4.1.2

You are not the first who has troubles with the default player after uninstalling the third party player.
I think there are two ways of solution:
1) make a backup of your device and then hard reset and after that restore all your data.
2) install and use the third party player you like

There are planty of them which are better than the stock player. I like Astro Player for audiobooks and podcasts and Internet radio. CityGlo Music Player with nice UI. MX Player for video.

jacob374

Reaction score
I might suggest reinstalling and then uninstalling it again. You may also try installing it and then clearing the default before uninstalling again.