Stock email app redownloads msgs...any other email apps reccommended?

djdelirius

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here as I'm a new droid owner...had it about a week and like it so far except for the stock email app(not the gmail email but reg email app) that comes with the verizon phone. I have it set up on with my pop3/stmp email account and there is one of the many problems I'm having with it that is extremely annoying, everytime I delete new messages it sends old messages to me to fill the 25 mail limit and says they're new messages when they've alredy been downloaded to the app before(like 70 times). I've had a slew of other smartphones and I've never had this problem before, with my iphone it would actually save the already downloaded messages so you wouldn't receive them more than once. Is there anyway to fix this problem with the droid app or are there any other email apps out there that have actually been developed and not thrown together? Thanks for any help guys, David

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
In the settings of the app make sure to check delete a copy of message off server. Another app that might work is K-9 mail.

OP
D

djdelirius

Reaction score
In the settings of the app make sure to check delete a copy of message off server.

thebowers. I have the delete messages on server enabled. But for example, the email app holds 25 emails by default. It downloads the newest 25 messages on the server so lets say I have 10 unread emails and 15 read emails, if I read and delete those 10 unread emails then the app fills those available 10 spots with emails on my server that I've already read but because it doesn't save any emails past the 25 it says that I have 10 new emails when I've already download them through the app like 50 times. It just gets very annoying after 5 or so times. Thanks though.

OP
D

djdelirius

Reaction score
UPDATE/SOLUTION TO PROBS:
For any readers with the same prob, here is the solution.

...Another app that might work is K-9 mail.

thebowers, THANK YOU!!! That app is great. I searched for other email apps before I posted on here and all I found were proprietary apps, didn't find or overlooked this great opensource app. To all others with email probs on stock moto droid email app, try K-9! K-9 has a lot of settings so you can customize it to your taste a lot better than stock email app. For example, you can choose how many emails the app displays when it's opened at 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, and 1000 emails(where stock app only goes up to 100. Another thing, when you close out of the stock app and haven't opened it for a while or restart your phone then the app automatically clears your cache and only shows you 25 emails which means all the old emails show up as unread emails, k-9 actually stores all the emails on your phone so you never get an "unread" email 50 times, which isn't so with k-9. Right now I have around 500 emails downloaded on my phone with k-9(I have the settings at 1000 emails) and it takes maybe .5 to .75 of a second to load because it is a larger cache but no problems so far.

What if it's IMAP?

anewday, k-9 DOES support IMAP. Install it and have a look around at the help and info, it will explain how to setup.

Thanks again guy, David

Sleeve

Reaction score
It took me a long time to get out of the habit of deleting email in the stock email app for the OP's reason. Not ideal, but it stops the chronic notifications if you leave email in your inbox to be picked up by a specific computer.

Craiger22

Reaction score
I live k9. I originally switched because of issues with the stock app, I am really glad I did. My favorite feature of k9 is the ability to have signatures for each account.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk