Steve Jobs Response to Adobe (Flash)

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Hahaha , the man is a genius , after he convinced the world that it needs a iPad now he got everybody to believe that Flash is the devil just to cover his ass and his poorly optimized OS . All the articles and tests that I saw clearly indicates that Flash is running better than HTML5 on any Windows or Linux platform and HTML5 is running better on Safari on a MAC , now do you really want every site to be converted to HTML5 just so Steve Jobs can run Flash on his platform because he is not willing to optimize it for Flash ?
Here are some of the articles
Does HTML5 Really Beat Flash? The Surprising Results of New Tests

HTML5 vs. Flash comparison finds a few surprises, settles few debates -- Engadget

nolanandy

Reaction score
Love it or hate it:

Thoughts on Flash

Interesting about H264 (a codec I love btw) vs Flash in regards to battery life.

Umm... You did notice some of his bullet points? My favorite is the first one where he complains that it is NOT open. Open? Really like the DRM'd songs from iTunes, inability to play FLAC encoded files on an iPhad device. How about the walled garden he calls an App Store? Let's not forget the new SDK that closes development to C, C++ and Objective C only. Now that there is what I call open, not. Then my second favorite one where Flash is not touch friendly. Obviously the prescription on his glasses are bad because if they were good he would have seen how well touch works on Flash on the Android platform.

Seems to me he is being his typical tyrannical, megalomaniacal self and justifying his stupidity. Nothing new. I just attribute it to age plus cancer drugs, pain treatments and dementia. He is an ass, always has been and always will be.

You really should try to control your antipathy toward Mr. Jobs.

"...Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member..."

I'm not especially a fan of Steve Jobs. He's a canny businessman who has managed to create a very successful firm (with the help of many others) and his first commitment is to his shareholders and his firm. That's hardly reprehensible or unusual.

Calling him "stupid" says much more about your judgment than his intelligence.

yeah, Steve might be an ass@#$ but he is not stupid.

iPirate

Reaction score
Someone want to post a summary? I have a hard time reading more than a sentence this nut job says. :p

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Oh , and if somebody thinks that maybe we should all move to Mac systems , just one thought . I have a Macbook Pro OS X Snow Leopard , didn't pay for it because I would never buy something like that , got it from a friend . With a fresh installed OS after a couple of days I have to reboot it every couple of hours or days because it starts to have issues , freezing programs , not opening windows etc.
On the other hand my Windows 7 PC had his last uptime 78 days and didn't rebooted because it froze , but because the update notification required a reboot and became annoying , and it wasn't in stand by either , I have use it in those 78 days for video and photo editing , webdesign , programming , virtual machines , VNC ,removed and added drivers , SDK tools etc. and all that without one reboot , oh and I also watched a lot of Flash sites :)

GiantDroid

Reaction score
Summary

Someone want to post a summary? I have a hard time reading more than a sentence this nut job says. :p

Summary:

Steven Jobs: Evil Genius who is leading phanboys to hell with HTML5 and the iPhad.
Flash: Poorly written Adobe bloatware which is leading everyone else to hell.
Micro$oft: Preparing the table for everyone on the way.
Google: Too busy selling advertising space on the billboards lighting the path to hell to care about privacy.

Now, who wants cake?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Summary:

Steven Jobs: Evil Genius who is leading phanboys to hell with HTML5 and the iPhad.
Flash: Poorly written Adobe bloatware which is leading everyone else to hell.
Micro$oft: Preparing the table for everyone on the way.
Google: Too busy selling advertising space on the billboards lighting the path to hell to care about privacy.

Now, who wants cake?

You forgot HP, who will buy palm and inflate that OS to major bloatware status, then run when it crashes. What a joke! :)

I don't like Apple, either, and not really going to get into this, but I also don't see Flash as the answer. Short term? Perhaps, but it is not something long term, I agree with earlier posters with the comments about bloat, and security risks associated with it.

I repeat that I hope that Flash itself is not foisted upon us without the ability to turn it off when desired.

GiantDroid

Reaction score
First off it really doesn't matter if Flash scales well with CPU anymore as Flash is now accelerated by the GPU and is not very CPU intensive at all.

Only flash video is accelerated by GPU, not all of flash, I was speaking in a more generalized term of flash and not just video.

Flash can only use hardware acceleration (GPU) on Windows platforms. Mac and Linux don't expose the API necessary for Flash to access the hardware. They *could*, but haven't yet.

darreno1

Reaction score
All I care is that flash comes to Android asap. Possible crashing, battery issues? I'll cross that bridge when/if that happens. I really could care less about what that arrogant douche, Steve Jobs has to say. As far as I'm concerned his products suck just as much as he does.

bassjason

Reaction score
I'm fine with HTML5 being the future...but Flash is the present and and I expect to be able to decide for myself whether or not I use present/past technology on my devices.

darreno1

Reaction score
^^ Nicely said and I agree. Give me flash or at least the option and let me decide. If it sucks, I'll reject it. Seems simple enough. But no, Jobs has to treat his fans like children, well it sucks to be them.

And Microsoft backing html5 is nothing new. I've been hearing about it for a while now. However until it becomes the standard, whenever that may be, it's just hot air. And they also rightly said that flash is important to the web today so even they were level headed enough to admit that.

nolanandy

Reaction score
I'm fine with HTML5 being the future...but Flash is the present and and I expect to be able to decide for myself whether or not I use present/past technology on my devices.

exactly, give us flash now. we will pick up HTML5 next year if there is one.

Riddick

Reaction score

Bingo. All of those whining about flash in this thread are full of it. What kind of garbage machines are you guys ruinning where flash is giving you so many problems?

Remember all of the codec crap and other issues that people had to go through to watch a video on the web before flash became popular? What about flash games, there are hundreds of thousands of free flash games available on the 'web that are superior to 99% of the games available so far on the Droid. We shouldn't have access to this on our phones?

Flash is not the future but it is a HUGE part of the web right now. Just allow us the ability to turn it off or on and make our own decisions on whether oir not we'll use it. I don't need Steve Jobs or anyone else telling me what I can or can't put on my phone. The only reason Apple is against Flash on their devices is because it would cut into their revenue, all of his other excuses are lies.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
Main reason Flash would come to Android = video like Job's said, and Farmville / facebook apps... Otherwise, why do you need flash?? OK, also for snazzy websites with flash intros, but does anyone even watch those from their phone? I just want to skip them...