Steve Jobs Response to Adobe (Flash)

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Mixist, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Mixist

Mixist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love it or hate it:

Thoughts on Flash

Interesting about H264 (a codec I love btw) vs Flash in regards to battery life.

2. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Umm... You did notice some of his bullet points? My favorite is the first one where he complains that it is NOT open. Open? Really like the DRM'd songs from iTunes, inability to play FLAC encoded files on an iPhad device. How about the walled garden he calls an App Store? Let's not forget the new SDK that closes development to C, C++ and Objective C only. Now that there is what I call open, not. Then my second favorite one where Flash is not touch friendly. Obviously the prescription on his glasses are bad because if they were good he would have seen how well touch works on Flash on the Android platform.

Seems to me he is being his typical tyrannical, megalomaniacal self and justifying his stupidity. Nothing new. I just attribute it to age plus cancer drugs, pain treatments and dementia. He is an ass, always has been and always will be.

3. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You really should try to control your antipathy toward Mr. Jobs.

"...Apple has many proprietary products too. Though the operating system for the iPhone, iPod and iPad is proprietary, we strongly believe that all standards pertaining to the web should be open. Rather than use Flash, Apple has adopted HTML5, CSS and JavaScript – all open standards. Apple’s mobile devices all ship with high performance, low power implementations of these open standards. HTML5, the new web standard that has been adopted by Apple, Google and many others, lets web developers create advanced graphics, typography, animations and transitions without relying on third party browser plug-ins (like Flash). HTML5 is completely open and controlled by a standards committee, of which Apple is a member..."

I'm not especially a fan of Steve Jobs. He's a canny businessman who has managed to create a very successful firm (with the help of many others) and his first commitment is to his shareholders and his firm. That's hardly reprehensible or unusual.

Calling him "stupid" says much more about your judgment than his intelligence.

4. td854

td854 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hate apple just as any other guy, but I have to say I'm 100% in favor of ridding the world of flash. Flash scales terribly with CPU speed and Adobe doesn't seem like they want to do anything about it. People have made some pretty impressive little flash games for a number of varying genre, but most are nearly unplayable if the screen gets busy at all thanks to a poorly optimized system.

That said, before flash video there were companies that used numerous codecs which caused problems for computer-stupid people in watching pretty much anything. This combined with a near-useless automated codec download system from Microsoft, and a simple (read: lazy developers) system of deployment through flash is what made everyone jump on the flash video bandwagon. Regardless of the fact that h264 was originally developed by apple (I think,) it is still a very good video compression system and there are numerous hardware applications out there that support it.

5. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't even care anymore, I just want to watch videos online. Settle on a standard and let's get this thing moving.

6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    100% agree - tired of all of it...

7. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't care for Steve Jobs much, but he is right on about Flash being wrong for the future. In the last number of years, everything Adobe touches becomes poorly written bloatware. Any tools that Adobe creates for HTML5 will also be poorly written bloatware.

Everyone wants Flash so bad for their Droid, wait until your phone slows to a crawl or randomly reboots, and you'll think twice about Flash. I like the fact that all this Flash bashing will hurry up the widespread implementation of HTML5 and H.264.

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off it really doesn't matter if Flash scales well with CPU anymore as Flash is now accelerated by the GPU and is not very CPU intensive at all. Secondly I never called him stupid. Demented, megalomaniac, tyrannical... yeah I have and always will continue to call him that. I used stupidity. This is because of the ass backwards, stupid, business move he made to not support Flash. Personally the man is a great snake oil salesman nothing more, nothing less. He doublespeaks and back peddles on everything he has ever said publicly. Flash will be no different.

Examples of a senile old man:

1. DRM Good! DRM Bad! Now... DRM Good again.
    2. Apps will always be web based. Jailbroken iPhone and one Cydia store later. Apple introduces an App. store and pushes it like a crack dealer.
    3. Open Source, BAD. Approx. 2 years later OS X based off of an open source BSD Kernel.
    4. 3G speeds aren't important. Stated when the iPhone 2G was released. Then came the iPhone 3G.

The man is a ****ing clown. Plain english. The problem is all the toe walking, mouth breathing simpletons that follow him. Apple produces sub-standard, feature locked or gimped products, both hardware and software, and charge a premium for them because they are MAGICAL. They have been doing this since the first Mac and haven't stopped since.

9. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I design websites, and I love flash... its easy and well... flashy...

10. td854

td854 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Only flash video is accelerated by GPU, not all of flash, I was speaking in a more generalized term of flash and not just video.

11. Mixist

Mixist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sub standard? I wouldn't say that at all. I work in the entertainment industry as a sound mixer. Most of the records made these days are digitally recorded into a Mac running Pro Tools or another DAW. I haven't seen a PC in a PRO studio in a very long time. I know the same goes for the Magazine biz. So they ARE the standard for some industries, just maybe not the one you're in Darkseider.

12. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I work at a magazine and all we use are Macs. I can still enjoy Mac computers while despising Steve Jobs, right?