1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Static IP

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by T6D16C84, Jun 18, 2010.

1. T6D16C84

T6D16C84 New Member

I am going to be traveling here soon and have the 2.2 rooted rom on my phone and thus will be tethering to my lappy. I just wonder if the IP adress the phone uses remains static no matter what tower I am pulling service from or if it changes based on area. I don't really much have a reason to know, its just one of those curiousity killed the cat kinda things.

thanks
  2. mgrover1

mgrover1 New Member

you can periodically check your ip with my ip from the market during your trip
  3. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

If you're constantly moving and switching towers, I believe your IP address can change. It's been awhile since I've did that though, and since I'm overseas right now, I have no way to check it myself.

However, I do know this: If you stay put, and your signal isn't being passed from tower to tower, you will retain the same IP address. For how long, I don't know exactly. But it won't change with every page you load or anything.

To force a new IP, simply put your phone into airplane mode. Wait for the radios to be turned off. As soon as they're off and the airplane mode icon appears, enable the radios again. New IP address.

Although, perhaps "different" is a better word than "new," as, of course, Verizon does have a finite number of IP addresses. However, I tethered my phone to my PC when I needed a bunch of IP addresses for a certain website. I went through 600+ IPs without a single duplicate. They all returned to somewhere in Ohio, so I'm guessing the IP addresses you will be assigned are regional. Would make sense, speed-wise.
  4. hobbes105

hobbes105 New Member

You can try downloading IP Address Widget from the market. It will show your current IP when connected to 3G or a wireless network. I have it on my home screen.

I can tell you that the IP will change if you lose signal then re-connect or go from 3G to 1X service, but I'm not sure if it changes from tower to tower. I have spotty 3G coverage where I am, so it is always going from 1X to 3G and the IP constantly changes.

Attached Files:

5. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Well, you definitely don't have a static IP. It's impractical to give every device a static IP.
Search tags for this page

android 3g static ip

android get static ip address 3g
droid 3 static ip
droid 4 static ip
how to set 3g static ip in android 4.0
how to set fixed ip for 3g for android
how to set static ip for 3g for android
motorola droid has static ip but no internet
motorola droid x static ip
set static ip on android 3g
static ip android 3g