Static IP for S4 with use of home router?

Anomander

Reaction score
Well for whatever reason my S4 and my router (Zyxel P-663HN-S1) are not playing nice together. When I am on my wifi at home I always see my S4 disconnect and reconnect throughout the house. On my old Bionic I never had this problem. Not sure what I should try, but I know there is the advanced option to set a Static IP for the phone. Has anyone done that and had any good success?

reybie

Reaction score
Not sure if a static IP would fix the connect/reconnect loop but it's worth a try. I would also reboot the router if you have not done so yet. Is it only at home where your S4 drops and reconnects WiFi connection?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Rezound would do the not play nice with my Belkin router. Tried every conceivable solution to no avail. Went back to older Linksys router. Not an issue since switching routers and the Rezound is Wi-Fi trouble free.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
I have some other suggestion for WiFi fixes in a link below but also try using WPA TKIP.
I use WPA2-PSK but was on AES. Switched over to TKIP and will run with that for a few days and see how that goes. So far so good though...

harrellj

Reaction score
One thought as well, most routers let you decide what IP to give a particular device. Its static IP but the device won't know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

reybie

Reaction score
The device would know because you will put in that specific IP in the config instead of it asking the DHCP server for an allocation, but that's another story. Hopefully the different flavors of security will make the phone play nice with his router.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Ok, was playing some candy crush this morning after getting home from work and after I lost my round (level 104) when it went back to the map screen I got the little pop up up that said "Connected to Arrakis" I got to thinking maybe I am not loosing my connection afterall, but just getting a popup notifying me what wifi network I am on?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, was playing some candy crush this morning after getting home from work and after I lost my round (level 104) when it went back to the map screen I got the little pop up up that said "Connected to Arrakis" I got to thinking maybe I am not loosing my connection afterall, but just getting a popup notifying me what wifi network I am on?

That sounds more like a notification that you have reconnected, meaning your connection dropped at some point.
On my old ipad the tablet/router would get a problem where the iPad would ask for a lease renewal, the router would ignore the request because it was set to infinite for lease renewal time, and the connection would drop. Once I set it to static the iPad stopped asking the router for a lease renewal.
Someone above mentioned setting static for your device at the router side of things. I wonder if that would possibly solve the problem if setting one up on the device doesn't.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

harrellj

Reaction score
The device would know because you will put in that specific IP in the config instead of it asking the DHCP server for an allocation, but that's another story. Hopefully the different flavors of security will make the phone play nice with his router.

The way I'm suggesting it, you're telling the DHCP server to always give the same IP to a particular device. The device is not set to static IPs and any other network would do whatever.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The way I'm suggesting it, you're telling the DHCP server to always give the same IP to a particular device. The device is not set to static IPs and any other network would do whatever.

Gotcha. On my Belkin router I told the router to use the same ip address every time for my Rezound but I still got the same problems as the op. Setting the phone to static would work a couple of days on the Rezound, then go back to the refusal to connect until I rebooted the router. It did solve the drops after connection but if I left my router range it wouldn't reconnect. I gave up trying to find the cause/solution and went back to my old Linksys router and haven't had a glitch in over a month.
Not trying to jack the thread, just stating a different router was the only solution that worked for me in my phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

harrellj

Reaction score
Gotcha. On my Belkin router I told the router to use the same ip address every time for my Rezound but I still got the same problems as the op. Setting the phone to static would work a couple of days on the Rezound, then go back to the refusal to connect until I rebooted the router. It did solve the drops after connection but if I left my router range it wouldn't reconnect. I gave up trying to find the cause/solution and went back to my old Linksys router and haven't had a glitch in over a month.
Not trying to jack the thread, just stating a different router was the only solution that worked for me in my phone.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Makes me wonder something then. If you and the OP both live in apartments, could y'all be on crowded channels? A WiFi analyzer app could answer that question.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder something then. If you and the OP both live in apartments, could y'all be on crowded channels? A WiFi analyzer app could answer that question.

I don't live in an apartment and there aren't any things like portable phones, fluorescent lighting, microwave ovens, etc throwing out 2.4 interference. I just chalked mine up to Belkin and Android don't like each other. Taking steps in Leeshors signature got my Android tablets and daughters Android phone working right but my Rezound didn't work for long. The Linksys is setup from the box with no special this or that , other than changing the network name and password upon setting up the network, and works fine. If used the Linksys trouble free since 09 but Verizon home sent me a new router (the Belkin) for free so I tried it for a while with nothing but problems. "Johnny" at Verizon tech support over in India was about as helpful as a postage stamp in solving the problem but he did try his best.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
ok, TKIP not playing nice now with the laptop (Wife's) and mine. Switchin it over to TKIP+AES and see how that goes. In all honesty I am not to sure if it is such a big deal on my S4 or not. It does reconnect right away and I am not doing any video calling or anything like that (yet) where it kills it. I'll do some experimenting and see how it goes.