State Your Droid PRO'S & CON'S

alm0614

Reaction score
The cons for me are:

Keyboard - My right thumb naturally wants to settle in around the "L", so typing is a stretch. Space bar is hard to hit. I find holding the device with my right hand and just single finger typing with my left is much easier for me.

Camera - Slow to get a picture. Quality is not bad, but for a 5 meg camera, they are awfuly grainy.

Auto Dimming - Too sensitive and always going in and out.

Vibrate - Could be stronger

Screen - Sometimes too sensitive. I find myself barely touching a button and end up on a screen I don't want to be on.

Screen - Sometimes not sensitive enough. It can take several touches to get it to do what I want.

Battery Life - I can kill it in about 6 hours of playing and in about 12 hours of just letting it sit doing nothing

Pros:

Loud Speaker - When it rings, you know it

Wi-Fi - No data reception out here. WiFi helps let me use it!

Screen Res - Nice. Sometimes too sensitive, sometimes not sensitive enough.

download SMS popup and you can change the vibrating settings which i think help alot..

wifi definitely uses your battery faster

camera will be fixed in next update

BMWAP

Reaction score
Someone mentioned the default number isn't dial. Found this.
Go to Contacts. Tap the pitcure icon and a small window opens for Call, SMS, Email or View Contact information. When you hit call there is a check button to use as default. Two problems, I don't see a way to change it afterwards. You'll have to view the contact info to change thereafter and its not automatic.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I hate to gripe about a new (and expensive!) phone, but I can see myself becoming royally frustrated in the future about the fact there are no Call/End buttons on the device, it's all on the touch screen.
But, a pro: it beats the pants off my old phone - a 3 year old RAZR!

Isn't that sort of like complaining that the call/end buttons on a non touchscreen are on the device itself and not on the screen?

Too funny, I grabbed my wife's Razr(her Free Droid Eris arrives Monday!!) today and I kept tapping the screen to make it work..and I have only had my Droid for less than 10 days and I am already "programmed". :)

bradleyls103

Reaction score
I don't care about other speed dial options. I tried and still don't like them. I want the old school hold a number button down speed dial. It is also too easy to accidentally bump to volume botton. Love it besides that.

Brad

Seawolf

Reaction score
I'm new to the droid and for that matter smart phones so I don't have a lot of tech experience with them. As a simple first time user if I could change one thing about the Droid it would be to get rid of the D pad on the querty keyboard and use that space to make the keyboard larger.

I have big fingers and while I understand wanting to make everyone happy by putting a D pad on there it would have made more sense to use that space for larger keys. It is after all a touch screen so if you need to scan a web page or move the screen just use your finger on the screen.

Other than that I love the thing!

Krish

Reaction score
Pros:
Pretty Fast
Handles a lot of tasks without slowing down
physical keyboard, yet touchscreen one is great
Voice search is amazing
Screen big and bright also very durable

Cons:
Only standard android OS
Home screen laggy not as smooth as Sense UI at the moment ( Haven't gotten 2.0.1 not sure if its better)
constant need to kill random apps that keep turning on
Vibrate is weak alarms never wake me up

boatman2220

Reaction score
Pros = Finding out new things this thing can and will do. Cons = I can pull up my banking website but can't go to the log in screen. There's a learning curve and being a new device, there will be some things to be corrected. I knew this when I got it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pros:
Pretty Fast
Voice search is amazing

Cons:
Only standard android OS
Home screen laggy not as smooth as Sense UI at the moment ( Haven't gotten 2.0.1 not sure if its better)

You don't NEED to kill apps... Android manages it's memory well. It runs every program in it's own JVM so when it's open it's not affecting any other program... if a running program needs more memory and there's one open that's not 'running' the OS will reclaim that memory.

Krish

Reaction score
Pros:
Pretty Fast
Voice search is amazing

Cons:
Only standard android OS

You don't NEED to kill apps... Android manages it's memory well. It runs every program in it's own JVM so when it's open it's not affecting any other program... if a running program needs more memory and there's one open that's not 'running' the OS will reclaim that memory.

:icon_eek: but yea i read up on that post about apps not needing to be killed, its just that seeing them randomly start up and show up on the task and take some memory made me want to stop it. thanks for the heads up.

had2

Reaction score
Pro's: battery lasts for a longer period vs the imagio I returned to get the moto droid, also the battery recharge is very fast (last night it went from 15%-90% in about 40 minutes

Cons: keyboard is a tight for space especially along the top row of keys.
No speeddial especially for voicemail access.
No manual included, had to find on internet to download to PC
Not having a cool weather app like htc has on their phones (hopefully there will be a hack for that!)
Other than that it is a cool phone so far.:D
Speed dial: From homescreen, touch menu, touch Add, touch shortcuts, touch Direct Dial (or Contact), select the person you want to speed dial.

Weather: go to Market and download AccuWeather, the Weather Channel or any of a number of apps

davidbehrns

Reaction score
"No speeddial especially for voicemail access."

Actually if you hold down the "1" key it will call your VM.

Token

Reaction score
You can download manual straight to Droid from vzw site. Quick office on Droid does the work, of course a PDF. I use astro to get back to UT quickly