State Your Droid PRO'S & CON'S

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by ThePhoneGuy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy New Member

I hope battery technology catches up to Droids work load. the other part to this CON is a PRO, which is the battery can be switch with a full charged battery, iPhone can't.

Goggle search by voice command is awesome.

I would of like verizon's GPS technology instead of goggles

Cut and paste text, about time this was available.

This thread is young, i'm sure as time goes on with usage people like and dislike certain things.
  2. searayman

searayman New Member

cut and paste is already in the droid do a long hold on the screen
  3. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy New Member

I know... that's why i said it was about time its available, maybe i should of said... its about time it became available.
  4. BryAnDROID

BryAnDROID New Member

PROS: Fast, Bright screen, Google GPS, Customizable, Loud speakers (real head turner when i get a message and u hear "DROID" i love that!), good Apps (I know apple has more, but droid has everything I need and then some), Great Touchscreen keyboard (although i've been using the Hardware keys, and they arent so bad either), Web pages with video players are supported. Flash 10 support in 2010.

CONS: Camera, the constant need to Kill Apps, no PUSH support for POP3/IMAP, phone sometimes acts wonky when trying to sync a contact from facebook, media player isnt that great, only 3 home screens

Overall though, I love this phone. The issues that I have with it can hopefully be ironed out via software updates. The phone has crashed on me one time [android.process=acore failed?], and my wife's droid randomly turned off by itself last night (we are bringing it back to vzw later today) Other then that, as previously stated, I am a believer that the Droid is a wonderful phone with many potentials to be a great one, in due time we shall see. :greendroid:
  5. Droidforums

Droidforums New Member

Cons: Music player seems to not support AVRCP which I NEED!
    PROS: Battery life! I get awsome battery life.
  6. denlem

denlem New Member

The cons for me are:

Keyboard - My right thumb naturally wants to settle in around the "L", so typing is a stretch. Space bar is hard to hit. I find holding the device with my right hand and just single finger typing with my left is much easier for me.

Camera - Slow to get a picture. Quality is not bad, but for a 5 meg camera, they are awfuly grainy.

Auto Dimming - Too sensitive and always going in and out.

Vibrate - Could be stronger

Screen - Sometimes too sensitive. I find myself barely touching a button and end up on a screen I don't want to be on.

Screen - Sometimes not sensitive enough. It can take several touches to get it to do what I want.

Battery Life - I can kill it in about 6 hours of playing and in about 12 hours of just letting it sit doing nothing

Pros:

Loud Speaker - When it rings, you know it

Wi-Fi - No data reception out here. WiFi helps let me use it!

Screen Res - Nice. Sometimes too sensitive, sometimes not sensitive enough.
  7. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

Pros:
    1. Overall "fluidity" of the OS (Coming from a Storm)
    2. Google voice search is incredible.
    3. Touch screen is amazing. (Again, coming from a Storm)
    4. Speed
    5. Browser
    6. Contrary to popular opinion, I think that It's a great looking phone.

Cons:
    1. Camera (for obvious reasons)
    2. Keyboard is just ok.
  8. dajakal

dajakal New Member

I hate to gripe about a new (and expensive!) phone, but I can see myself becoming royally frustrated in the future about the fact there are no Call/End buttons on the device, it's all on the touch screen.
    But, a pro: it beats the pants off my old phone - a 3 year old RAZR!
  9. Steve

Steve New Member

Pro's: battery lasts for a longer period vs the imagio I returned to get the moto droid, also the battery recharge is very fast (last night it went from 15%-90% in about 40 minutes

Cons: keyboard is a tight for space especially along the top row of keys.
    No speeddial especially for voicemail access.
    No manual included, had to find on internet to download to PC
    Not having a cool weather app like htc has on their phones (hopefully there will be a hack for that!)
    Other than that it is a cool phone so far.:D
  10. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Isn't that sort of like complaining that the call/end buttons on a non touchscreen are on the device itself and not on the screen?
  11. ThePhoneGuy

ThePhoneGuy New Member

I didn't want anyone to complain about Droid, its only been out for 3 days, but a phone like this just has Pro's and Con's, what they are might depend on individual needs.
  12. dajakal

dajakal New Member

Don't understand this comment.
    All the other Android phones (and every cell phone/blackberry I've ever seen) have dedicated call and end buttons. I don't think I'm the only one that will miss them here.
  13. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Honestly I can only think of 3 cons which are all minor:

One is the keyboards backlight. It looks great when its on but it times out so fast and I couldn't find an option to make it longer! This seems like it could be worked around somehow.

The second is the camera of course. Unlike many others I don't hate it or think its a piece of crap, but it does need a little tweaking with focus and speed.

The third is the icon grid on the homescreens. It is 4x4... I know they could have fit more than that. However I do know WHY they did it this way. When you go from portrait to landscape, the icons all rotate so the grid needs to be a square. Otherwise, if it were 6x4 or something, when it rotated it would have to try and cram 6 icons into the short side of the screen. So yeah this is a minor con because its very understandable and doesn't cause me any trouble, it would just be nice to fit more on the screen.

Honestly everything else about this phone I love! The screen is amazing, the sound quality for music is great, if I get tired of the stock mp3 player app, there are a few others that offer different features. The keyboard on/off screen is great in my opinion and I can even download a different onscreen keyboard if I want. The onscreen call/end buttons don't bother me. Look at the iPhone, it has ONE button haha. As far as looks I think it screams "I am a badass phone and I'll beat your phones ass" (pardon mah french). The phone is fast, battery is great, especially if I plug it in when its just sitting on my desk or in the car, it will NEVER die on me. The selection of apps is great and will just grow bigger.

So yeah I love this phone.
  14. gardobus

gardobus New Member

[​IMG]
  15. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

Just curious, why does that bother you so much? It's a non-issue for me.
  16. thedefectkid

thedefectkid New Member

If you look in the app store there is one its called htc something lol you'll find it.

PROS:
    Fast internet speed
    Nice Apps
    Widgets
    Speed of the device

Cons:
    Battery (Sometimes)
    Camera (Grainy)
  17. dajakal

dajakal New Member

Because I'm used to having a dedicated call/end button. Makes for some good shortcuts - in other phones, if I wanted to re-dial someone, I'd just press call to bring up the recently dialed list. And I could do it no matter what app/setting/etc. I was running. iPhone aside, I think they're useful buttons. And I'm not alone on this! From CNet:
  18. richie1378

richie1378 New Member

Pros: Great screen, loud speaker phone, fast OS, comparable to Iphone

Cons: What were they thinking about that keyboard?! Slow as Molasses camera,
  19. performancedesign

performancedesign New Member

I'll preface - been waiting 2 years beyond my contract being up, nursing a treo 650 waiting for a phone with specs like this to come out. Exchange was a must have deal killer as it is a major part of my business and communications. The treo died before this came out so borrowed someone's Blackberry 8830 and became pretty familiar with it (although couldn't get it to sync wirelessly or through computer).

CONS
    1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lost entire email and calendar after one day. Account was still there but couldn’t get into settings, had to reset it up (but for some reason it kept all contacts).
    2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]It doesn’t push calendar – must hit refresh. Entered something on computer – after 10 – 15 minutes still hadn’t updated on Droid. No setting options to change on this.

3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Can’t save .jpg attachments from email - just says "Fetching attachment photo.jpg" for 5 minutes. I cancelled it. Photo was only 164kb.

4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Email – can’t put a signature in. Can’t select to delete only from handheld (this isn't as big)

5)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Can’t file an email into another folder

6)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Can’t keep more than a month of email, can’t mark an email to save on Droid indefinitely (if you need for reference for example)

7)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Can’t change display style of contacts (last, first)
    8)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]After ending a call, can’t easily pull up contact’s alternate phone numbers (my old Palm Treo 650 was awesome - hit end and it goes directly back to the contact entry and one down click and enter and it dials the contact's next number). Perhaps there is another way? Haven't actually played with this too much.

9)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NO TASK LIST application native????? Obviously doesn’t sync with exchange. There are apps you can download – but not sync natively with built in EAS in Google.
    10)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NO MEMO/NOTE application native???? Same as task list – there are apps, but not to sync natively with EAS. To sync tasks/notes, appears to require two separate apps, not use built-in EAS and they may conflict – haven’t tried it.
    11)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Camera is so slow to take a picture it is almost useless, picture quality – fair at best indoors (if the business end of exchange active sync actually worked I wouldn't care much about this)

12)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Screen protectors are impossible to get on without dust entrapped – almost a dozen other phone/camera screens and I have never had a problem before – went through all 3 and last was best but still had a spec caught. My suggestion is find some 3rd party offering before buying the Verizon offering.

How can you classify anything as a business oriented smart phone without a task list???? And one that syncs so you don’t have to maintain two task lists separately.

PROS
    *Mapping – overlaid with satellite is fast and beautiful.

*Voice search

*Marketplace seems pretty robust with more than one option for everything I searched for, sometime ridiculous number of options.
    *Fluidity - although I had to remove a calculator app that slowed it to a crawl.

*Vertical on-screen keyboard - I am shocked how well I can type on it. I have tried on many an iphone and couldn't get much right. This seems pretty good.
    *I agree with another post - I think it is awesome design and all business.
    *hard keyboard better than I initially thought - in store I couldn't spell a single word right (was hoping I would get used to it). Quickly learned I had to use my thumbnails and do much better.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    If someone has solutions for my cons above I would love to hear them. I am shocked at the lack of options and settings - I guess typical of Google. My 4 year old Treo could sync better, had more options to save, delete, add signatures, etc. To be an iphone competitor they better up the game on the options as it severely limits the "experience".
  20. mishadancer

mishadancer New Member

I'm very new to the phone - just got the DROID today. So far a CON I have encountered is the inability to delete individual calls from the call log. The only option is to delete the entire log? That doesn't seem right - I must be missing something.
Search tags for this page
do droids support in and out of holster notifications

droid pros

droid pros and cons from verizon

pros and cons of droids
pros on droids