State Your Droid PRO'S & CON'S

cbushnell

Reaction score
well now that i've had my droid for over 10 days which gave me plenty of time to figure things out....(adding my audible books yeehaw!:icon_ banana:) i have no cons!! sounds to me like there's alot of ppl that need to get a mini laptop! good grief!! :icon_eek: or go back to your beloved old phone ffs
Corinacakes.... What, help... adding my Audible books, where how??? Exactly what I've been searching for YIPPEE!!!

BLCain

Reaction score
PROS: Fun phone to use. More apps than anyone can use. Really get a kick out of Google Sky Map.
CONS: NO auto answer or voice dial. Worthless while driving. Have to fiddle with the phone to answer on my bluetooth.
Other thoughts: Have returned phone. Will wait for a fix on the bluetooth problem.

hazydave

Reaction score
Don't understand this comment.
All the other Android phones (and every cell phone/blackberry I've ever seen) have dedicated call and end buttons. I don't think I'm the only one that will miss them here.

Here's the thing.. this isn't a cell phone. It's a pocket computer with, oh-by-the-way, a voice function. I'm glad they didn't put in buttons only useful for one out of hundreds of potential applications.

I actually hated the "phone call" button on my Treo, as it was always getting bumped, and thus, pulling me out of my current application and into the phone. Ok, not a problem with Android anyway (that app will still be running, most likely), but still.. this is exactly what I expect in this kind of device. Like the iPhone, only better... at least the BACK, MENU, and HOME button work very nicely with the OS. Not sure about the SEARCH button yet.. I find myself using voice search more often. This is the first device of any sort I've used that seems to have voice recognition working correctly.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I don't like that I have to press the top on/off button in order to then unlock the phone. I understand the concept of this however its rather annoying.

SO DO I.

Apparently, it is semantics...

You unlock the phone with the power button. The swipe is called keyguard.

There is an app called Keyguard Disable. Works like a charm. Still swipe to answer, but the the power button (or volume or camera) will bring up the home page directly. Love it.
ugh if only it was free =[..does anyone have the app setup file lol that is willing to give me it free...will trade for a google voice invite lol =]

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
well now that i've had my droid for over 10 days which gave me plenty of time to figure things out....(adding my audible books yeehaw!:icon_ banana:) i have no cons!! sounds to me like there's alot of ppl that need to get a mini laptop! good grief!! :icon_eek: or go back to your beloved old phone ffs
Corinacakes.... What, help... adding my Audible books, where how??? Exactly what I've been searching for YIPPEE!!!
I learned from someone in this forum about SoundTaxi Media Suite!! it changes yur aa file to one you can play anywhere and it rocks!! i tried using the emusic for books and i hated it:( get it you'll be in luv with soundtaxi:)

mack38

Reaction score
I Love, love, love this phone!!

However there are some Cons:

-Browser doesn't allow access to facebook's non-mobile website and so I can't watch FB videos or see posted links. This is kind of a big deal to me coming from a Samsung i760 & being able to watch EVERYTHING (except hulu) on my phone. So I am a little sad about that.

-Default music player doesn't have a tag function

-Default wall charger that came with phone is painfully short. It just barely reaches my desk from being plugged into a surge outlet.

Everything else is amazing!

TheShaz

Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday :icon_ banana:
I reserve the right to amend my comments :icon_eek:

PROS:

• Beautifull Screen.
  • Voice Search.
  • Loud Speaker.
  • Wonderfull Free App selection, have yet to buy one, but I have my eyes on a couple.
  • Google Nav is pretty cool.
  • I get better signals than on the Omnia.
  • Learning curve is very low.
CONS:
  • So far the only Negative is the camera, I know we are in the good side of the month. But last night I took picutures of my laptop screen using the DROID and my Omnia. I posted them on the forum. There is a strange glare. Havent taken any outdoor pictures, been raining here in Florida. I have four kids 13 - 11 - 4 - 3 and Daddy likes to take pictures. Havent done video yet but from what I read that is an improvement. But so far the camera performance is a let down.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/4901-droid-camera-where-glare-coming.html

My post about the glare on the camera.

pastortommy

Reaction score
There are many things about the droid that I can settle for. One thing I CANNOT is the fact that I cannot do voice activated dialing via bluetooth. If anyone knows when or if this is going to be available, please tell. For someone who is on the road alot, it is important for this feature to work!

The only other cons for me: (1) contact management is behind competition ( I will admit, I am a former blackberry user and it is hard to compete with blackberry's system in this regard). (2) no synchronization with itunes is a drag for me ( I still carry around my ipod touch!), (3) Cannot access the alarm screen unless in dock or if you hack it with magnets (which is lame), (4) virtual keyboard is nowhere near as accurate as iphone...also, the autocorrect feature is not as helpful, (5) this is nit-picky, BUT, why is it that the droid's gtalk app looks nothing like gtalk when apps on non-droid os's look just like it?, (6) It would not let me setup my yahoo mail account, (7) since android 2.0 gives you the option of widgets, we need more home screens!, (8) No physical talk/end buttons, and (9) because I use a mac, there seems to be no way to create playlists for the music...i can't sync with itunes, as said above, but I wonder if there is a way to do it on a pc? (10) photo quality is horrid for a 5MP camera...

There, I'm done venting.

Here are the things I LOVE about my droid: (1) GPS mode rocks. I use it all the time...have the dock in my car...works great, (2) the apps are wonderful, (3) screen is AMAZING for a phone, (4) phone quality seems great, (5) web browser is awesome, (6) I LOVE the notification bar, (7) battery life is better than my former blackberry phones (curve, tour, storm2), (8) Facebook touch (i suggest you not use the facebook app...instead save the touch.facebook.com bookmark to your home screen), (9) I love the way you swipe it to silence it, (10) having a bar-code scanner is just sweet for building kids christmas lists...i just had to include this...haha (11) phone is nice and loud, (12)i love having a physical keyboard option (yes, it sucked at first, but I have gotten use to it and now it is no problem...), (13) the google voice activated search and voice dialer are nice...but I wish i could voice dial via bluetooth... (14) Oh, and the phone's processor is nice PLUS it has dedicated GPU...which rocks. (15) video recording is nice

I am sure I could think of much much more, but those are the things that first come to mind...

Blessings,
Tommy

Twoo

Reaction score
I Love, love, love this phone!!

However there are some Cons:

-Browser doesn't allow access to facebook's non-mobile website and so I can't watch FB videos or see posted links. This is kind of a big deal to me coming from a Samsung i760 & being able to watch EVERYTHING (except hulu) on my phone. So I am a little sad about that.

-Default music player doesn't have a tag function

-Default wall charger that came with phone is painfully short. It just barely reaches my desk from being plugged into a surge outlet.

Everything else is amazing!

Ugh, yes it does. I use the normal facebook everyday. Just log out of the touch or mobile version, google "facebook login", sign in and go.

Heck, I was even using facebook chat on the browser.

yearn

Reaction score
The only real complaint I got os I would like to see the scrolling a little more fluid.
While it is a lot better than the WM devices I came from, its still not as good as my ipod touch.

Hopefully future updates will improve this.

lagtastic

Reaction score
PROS:
* Beautiful screen and multimedia playback.
* actually, too many to list!

CONS:
* Can only sync to one google calendar. :(
* Low signal reception and battery life

davidbehrns

Reaction score
Anyone else an avid text messenger? Have you noticed any instability with the text message client. I have it "force quit" on me after a while and I need to re-boot the phone to set it right again... I hope a firmware update will fix that eventually...

davidbehrns

Reaction score
As far as PRO's go. I am completely impressed with this device (aside from some first generation weirdness that I braced myself for) it has either met or exceeded all of my expectations.

moneymatt

Reaction score
PROS -

* AMAZING SCREEN. Doubling the resolution of the iphone negates the need to be zooming in and out most of the time. I have access to the information I need quick. Plus it's just plain awesome.

* FAST - I can get access to the information I want as quickly as I can snap through the buttons. If you turn off the pretty transitions it's even faster. The CPU and OS keep up with all my demands.

* GMAIL INTEGRATION. I don't even use gmail, but you can sync up your own domain to gmail and take advantage of the push email and conversations ability. If you don't sync up your email to gmail, you're missing the boat. It's a far superior email client on the device.

* KEYBOARD. I never use the slide out keyboard unless i'm filling out lots of forms and need screen real-estate. BUT. The landscape keyboard with haptic feedback enabled (vibration on keypress) is sexy. The OS lets me type as fast as I want with NO delay.

* VOICE RECOGNITION. By linking voice recognition to google's servers you have an incredibly accurate device. I always start all my searches or navigation requests by holding down the magnifying glass and just telling my phone what I need. It's like having my own personal concierge. I'm actually slightly embarrassed to say i've had conversations with my droid.

* VOICE INTEGRATION WITH YOUTUBE. It's pretty damn fun to be like.. WEIRD AL YANOVICK IM FAT and have that video pop up in seconds..

* GREAT LOUD SPEAKERPHONE

* NO VOICE LAG - I know there's a lot of debate over the sound quality, but the device is much faster than blackberries in getting your voice to the network and avoiding long lag-delays which cause people to talk over each other.. A necessity when dealing with the subtle nature of calming the girlfriend down. ;)

* GREAT NAVIGATION - and FREE. I don't have to pay the extra ten bucks a month for VZNav and I tell my phone where I need to go.

* GREAT VIDEO RECORDING. The ability to record broadcast quality video on a cellphone!? WHOA

* GREAT STABLE MEDIA PLAYER. Videos/Music play quick and flawlessly.. I personally like to live outside of Apples grasp so a drag and drop to the filesystem is the way I like it.

* OS DOESN'T CRASH. Coming from blackberry, battery-pulls were mandatory. I never have to reboot my phone and terminating tasks that are unresponsive is the fastest way to deal with 3rd party issues.

* LOOK AND FEEL. I love that my phone doesn't look as fruity an an iphone.. The strong angles work for me.

* GREAT 3RD PARTY APPS. Since the OS is so stable and robust I have confidence in trying out new 3rd party applications. Augmented Reality Browser? check. Interactive Hypnosis Relaxing software? check. Multiplayer online games? check.. I could play with this thing forever.

* VERIZONS NETWORK. You can't beat it.

Cons -

- Frame rate is slow compared to IPHONE. This is the trade off you get when you use your CPU power to move four times as many pixels around.. So i'm OK with that. I'd rather have a beautiful static screen then icons that move around at 60fps.

- Ummmm... uuuuh. HMM. I'll have to get back to you on that..

DROID ROCKS!!

$Matt