Something for those thinking about the DROID to chew on...

DroidHoff

Reaction score
To Everyone thinking about buying a DROID....

I thought I would make a post about the adjustment period you WILL have switching to an Android device for the first time. This does not apply for those who are just upgrading their current Android phone to the DROID. Let me start by saying that the DROID is the first Android device I have owned. Prior to this I owned A BB Curve, Storm, and a Palm Pre. The first thing I noticed coming to the DROID was the lack of applications it came with in its stock form (looking back this was mostly because I was only familiar with BB applications and the way they function). I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed by the stock apps more so I was overwhelmed with having to learn how to live in the "google cloud" and try not to miss a beat in my daily life... I had to learn to integrate my life with google. After I adjusted to this, I started getting more and more functionality out of those stock applications and I started REALLY enjoying my phone. This is about when I realized that there literally thousands of apps and widgets in market I could now use to supplement, replace or run alongside my pre installed apps. It was after this that my DROID became great. VZW and MOTO left all the proprietary crap off the phone so we could make ours. Now my phone is ME, it does what I want it to do and everything I ask it to do, it looks like MY phone, it just DOES everything the way I want. This is the best part about Android your phone is completely custom, it is what you make and it will only ever be what you want it to be. So my message is don't get frustrated it will come together and if your phone doesn't do what you need it to its probably because you haven't asked yet! PM me if you need help or just search this forum and you will find lots of great apps and advice from very helpful people. Lastly enjoy your phone it IS the best phone on the market now!

DroidHoff

On Droids

Reaction score
Agreed! The phone has a few 'quirks' but user error can be fixed. It's first gen so some things will not be perfect.

The new Camaro has output shaft problems and the 'Smartcars' have horrible tranny issues. Things happen on first gen products

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The first thing I noticed coming to the DROID was the lack of applications it came with in its stock form (looking back this was mostly because I was only familiar with BB applications and the way they function).
Seems like a lot of complaints are along these lines -- from people that don't understand that there are apps and additional functionality out there.

Wes4386

Reaction score
I am only on day 6 with the Droid and I am happier every day with it. After the Storm 1 it's like a godsend .

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

I thought I would make a post about the adjustment period you WILL have switching to an Android device for the first time. This does not apply for those who are just upgrading their current Android phone to the DROID. Let me start by saying that the DROID is the first Android device I have owned. Prior to this I owned A BB Curve, Storm, and a Palm Pre. The first thing I noticed coming to the DROID was the lack of applications it came with in its stock form (looking back this was mostly because I was only familiar with BB applications and the way they function). I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed by the stock apps more so I was overwhelmed with having to learn how to live in the "google cloud" and try not to miss a beat in my daily life... I had to learn to integrate my life with google. After I adjusted to this, I started getting more and more functionality out of those stock applications and I started REALLY enjoying my phone. This is about when I realized that there literally thousands of apps and widgets in market I could now use to supplement, replace or run alongside my pre installed apps. It was after this that my DROID became great. VZW and MOTO left all the proprietary crap off the phone so we could make ours. Now my phone is ME, it does what I want it to do and everything I ask it to do, it looks like MY phone, it just DOES everything the way I want. This is the best part about Android your phone is completely custom, it is what you make and it will only ever be what you want it to be. So my message is don't get frustrated it will come together and if your phone doesn't do what you need it to its probably because you haven't asked yet! PM me if you need help or just search this forum and you will find lots of great apps and advice from very helpful people. Lastly enjoy your phone it IS the best phone on the market now!

DroidHoff

This is the most intelligent post I have ever seen on this forum, should be sticky'd.

drd1109

Reaction score
came from numerous blackberrys as well and you just summed up the switch to droid perfectly...wouldnt give this phone up for anything!!!!

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
Best phone I've ever owned. I had the BB curve for years and this is sooo much better :)

Colin

Reaction score
I feel that there is a big learning curve but for me that's because I've had nothing but dumb phones before. I've had my droid for less than 30 hrs and I'm fully functional. Don't get me wrong there is a lot I haven't done with the phone that it is capable of. I still need to link it to my computer, explore apps... but this thing is insanely user friendly. Anyone with some tech savvy will be moving along pretty quick almost immediately.

Now that I know the basics I have to work on setting this thing up so that it's fully integrated into my daily life. I'm stoked, this thing is awesome!

Essex

Reaction score
Agreed! The phone has a few 'quirks' but user error can be fixed. It's first gen so some things will not be perfect.

The new Camaro has output shaft problems and the 'Smartcars' have horrible tranny issues. Things happen on first gen products

And here I thought my Prius was just going through a phase... I guess it really is an SUV trapped in a hybrid's body.

Sorry lame joke but I was disappointed no one else jumped on the tranny comment :p

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

DroidHoff

100% agree

The Droid is the first Android phone i've ever owned and it's the first Android phone I've ever used. I originally came from WinMo, a controversial OS, and loved it. I found Android to be, plain and lacking at first, but the OS is so deep. So many hidden options, I'm still learning my phone after owning it since the launch date. I am amazed at the snappiness and simplicity of Android. I really feel it's personalized to my liking, from the 3 home screens, to the apps, the phone really adjusts to you, something WinMo never provided. This phone has met and more than exceeded my expectations; it's smooth, fast, user-friendly, easy to navigate, and overall I think a fun OS. To think it's pretty much in it's BETA stage means it can only get better from here.

BB and Apple better watch out, Android OS is here to stay and as young as the OS is, it's already past WinMo and BB imo. I never really fiddled around with an iPhone yet, but since both OS are app related and Android is more customizable and has a growing app store it wins me over. Google is set to take over the cellular world in my eyes. The phone itself has loads of potential and the app store grows, this phone will indeed get better with time.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed

I came from years of Blackberry use - the Curve being the last one.

I refused to get the IPhone because AT&T stinks and I wanted a keyboard.

So I HAD been waiting to get the Palm Pre but then this came out. My concerns over the PRE were that the hardware was junky and the OS would never gain a significant following for apps.

Once I saw what the Droid could do, the Google had a hand in making it, and that it was on Verizon it was a no brainer. I have the old blackberry sitting on my desk and it looks cheap and useless. The voice quality on the blackberry was never good - it did terrific with email and outlook and that's about it.

Meanwhile I've become an Android junky looking for new apps every day. I've changed to Home ++ and tons of widgets. I've made it my own.

It's basically like getting a new computer rather than a standard smartphone.

And for those who don't like the way it looks or feels - I think it couldn't be more perfect (sure a better keyboard would be nice... but then it would be thicker). This is built like a tank - all glass and steel. When was the last time you bought an electronic product built like that? This is NOT a piece of junk manufactured with cost cutting in mind.

Like computers, the Droid will be outdated within 3 to 6 months. However like XP you will be able to use it and enjoy it for years. I have no need for Windows 7 or a new computer and I will have no need to upgrade to a new phone for a long time.

The only major issue I see is that because it's more like a computer than a phone the early adopters will be people like those on this forum rather than the general public. Android needs to come packaged for the average users AND allow for it to be customized like we prefer.

If I had not downloaded K-9 Mail, Home ++, Advanced Task Killer and a bunch of other apps I would not be that happy. The email it comes with stinks, Home ++ makes it kick ass and you DO need a task killer. Especially if you download lots of new apps.