Some tips from us who have had froyo for awhile for those getting it nxt week

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Some of us have had froyo for awhile and there are some changes,

Home switcher app no longer works like it should. But a good replacement is clear default, it basicially direct you to the actual home app so you can clear the default.

A good browser for adobe flash player (IMO the best) is dolphin browser with desktop user agent, and flash ondemand. I prefer flash on demand so that I can choose what content I want to see. If its set t auto then it will slow down loading time, especially for devices not o/c. Im overclocked at 1200 and it slows my phone down, so I can imagine what it would do to a 600mhz droid.

Pandora is still having issues with froyo, prepare to use slacker until they fix it. I offered my help but "we do not support rooted devices". If they would have taken their heads out of their backsides they would have realized I would have been a nice prototype to help them prepare for froyo. Oh well moving on.

To watch movies I suggest use amazon, that way you can watch it later on a laptop.

Powerstrip is a good tool to keep your screen clean. nice to be able to pull up settings widget with out having to go back to the home screen..

Thata all the tips I have for now, maybe other may be able to add to it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chrome2Phone is a handy feature, and there IS a Firefox addon for it, that I personally like better than the Chrome version.

The Calendar app has been merged into the Google Calendar app, it has not disappeared.

Be patient with some of your apps as it will likely take a little time before all of them are updated for 2.2. Some have updated already, as well.

It feels like there's a biggie I'm forgetting...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also the new SMS layout which is darn ugly!

i use handcent, but that roadsms is nice.

Download: Road SMS App from Samsung Galaxy S

On 07.26.10, In Apps, by Kellex

The texting app Road SMS from the Galaxy S lineup of phones has been ported to just about any Android phone. I’m actually not even sure the app needed tweaking as it seems to work flawlessly on the Droid, Incredible and Droid X.
Not sure what Road SMS is? It’s essentially the coolest texting app around. Using your camera, you can now walk down the street texting and see exactly where you are going rather than running into the curb, angry transient or weird guy on the segway.
*For all users. Should work on Droid 1, Incredible and Droid X.
Download: roadsms 1.01.apk (alt link) (alt link2) (alt link3)
Instructions…
1. Download the roadsms.apk to your SD card.
2. When it finishes, tap on it and select “install.”
3. Once it finishes installing, go to your app drawer and open the app. Enjoy!
Source: XDA Forums
Cheers Greg!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chrome2Phone is a handy feature, and there IS a Firefox addon for it, that I personally like better than the Chrome version.

The Calendar app has been merged into the Google Calendar app, it has not disappeared.

Be patient with some of your apps as it will likely take a little time before all of them are updated for 2.2. Some have updated already, as well.

On the other side of the coin is Android2Cloud, which transfers web pages from your Droid to your Chrome browser on your computer. This one does not work with Firefox at least not at this time.

And I don't know if I'm the only one having this issue or not but I can't get Screebl to launch automatically when I turn my Droid on.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

On the other side of the coin is Android2Cloud, which transfers web pages from your Droid to your Chrome browser on your computer. This one does not work with Firefox at least not at this time.

And I don't know if I'm the only one having this issue or not but I can't get Screebl to launch automatically when I turn my Droid on.

Didnt know bout that app hook. Will check it out

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Didnt know bout that app hook. Will check it out
^Me neither^

Also the lock screen has a few added options, you can either implement a numerical password, a written password or a combination of both.

eliassami5

Reaction score
ive been on 2.2 for so long i cant recall what 2.1 was like..lol

if you are still using the stock android keyboard (dunno why you would be) you can slide your finger from any letter up above the keyboard while still keeping your finger on the screen and you will get another keyboard with just numbers and symbols on it..pretty hand IMO, but then again i dont use the stock keyboard at all anymore.

your call log now has grouped calls..so if you dad calls you 3 times in a row it will group the calls in one bar and you can expand it and see the details for each call if you wish..lol

settings > voice input and output settings > voice recognizer settings, here you can set the text to speech to not filter your searches or to not ignore curse words

in the power widget you now have 4 brightness settings, dimmest, user setting, brightest, and auto.

the Car dock feature is now an app and you can launch it whenever you want and when you are in a car dock you can exit it completely whenever you want. Pretty handy when you wanna video tape while in the car dock (have to modify the dock to do this).

theres a lot more but i cant remember.

oh and is it just me or is chrome to phone working fan-fricking-tastically fast right now? Its like instantaneous, never used to be like that.

Last edited:

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
If you frequently switch between Silent and Vibrate via the volume rocker, you'll most likely be very upset with google. A work around is the free version of beautiful widgets for their vibrate/silent toggle widget.

xliderider

Reaction score
Not a biggie, but I do miss the Auto setting for the screen backlight setting in froyo.

I'm forced to remain on 2.1 because 2.2 doesn't run on my Droid (freezing, FCs, etc.) though I have been able to run it between all the battery pulls and endless loading of all the froyo roms hoping that ONE will work on my Droid lol.