1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Thinking about buying this phone, but I have some questions.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Grey Hawk, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

But I have several questions.

Keep in mind I have never owned a smartphone before, but do have some good computer knowledge. A lot more than the average user, but less than programmers etc... I have done my research though and do own a jailbroken ipod touch and have played with my girlfriends BB.

• I know you can change the look of the UI with apps, whats the learning curve using these? I tried sweeterhomes and home++ and was confused. Sweeterhomes was very confusing and home++ only seemed to give me icons at the bottom and thats all I could edit.
    • What other apps can be used to edit the UI. List all of them please. I do not find the defualt one attractive, but that's the only downfall I can find with phone from testing it. :icon_ banana:
    • As mentioned before, I have a jailbroken iTouch. I have heard the Droid has its own "jailbreaking" called rooting. How safe is it? Where is the best guide on how to do it, with making a backup?
    • If I do root it, can I get 2.1? Will downloading 2.1 just cancel out all my rooting?
    • What are roms I keep seeing?
    • I hear with rooting you can tether. Now I know you could do this with other verizon phones(dumbphones) by hacking into the service menu. The only downside was that if verizon caught you doing it you, you would be slapped with a huge bill
    • Will rooting it make me incur any non normal charges?
    • If I don't use the default SMS app, will I be charged differently for text messages or will be the same as if I used the one that came with the phone?
    • I hear this phone has GPS so to speak? Does this cost extra money?

Thanks. Hopefully I can order it online ASAP :icon_eek:
  2. Wendy

Wendy New Member

Welcome!!! Well, having had this phone only about 3 weeks, I can only answer the last question.

Yes, it has GPS....It has Google Maps and so far has been very reliable. And it is free :)
  3. Phoxus

Phoxus New Member

Answer for Text messaging.

1 text message on verizon = 160 characters. Using Hancent brakes it up for your however (in options and is very organized)
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yes you can use any text apps and theres no extra charge, rooting causes no extra charge, there MANY guides on rooting and installing ROMs, yes you can get 2.1 ROMs with root...and as for the Sweeter Home, Home++, etc., once you become familiar with phone, installing these will be cake. Its the beauty of Androids open source OS as opposed to Apples closed OS, you can customize almost every aspect of the device as you so choose
  5. LastLaugh

LastLaugh New Member

Add Pandahome to the list of UI mods. The GPS does not cost extra, and it is ****in sweeeeeet, google street view and all it is an awesome app.
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yes it is truly amazing!! I amaze everyone I know with the Maps app
  7. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

What are roms exactly?

And I mean when 2.1 is offically released for the Droid, can I download from Verizon? Similar with the jailbroken ipods, if I jailbreak 3.0 and I download the new 3.1 from apple, I lose all my jailbroken stuff in 3.0. Is this how it will work with the Droid?

Or will I be stuck in 2.01 and have to wait for an unofficial release of 2.1? Also can I go back to "un rooted"?
  8. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

Also, the Nexus One, which I believe is running 2.1, has some differences over the Droid.

It doesn't have the "pull up" menu on the home screen, and has interactive wallpaper. Will the Droid have those and other features when 2.1 comes out?
  9. Briankbl

Briankbl Member

When 2.1 comes out for the Droid, it will have the same app menu as N1. Rumor has it that Droid's 2.1 will also give access to Live Wallpapers.
  10. Briankbl

Briankbl Member

On a side note, I highly recommend this phone. The Droid surprises me everyday. Especially when scouring this forum - I may run across an app or setting I did not know about that was brought up in a thread. The community here is also top notch, almost always going out of their way to help other posters out.

In short, once you start coming across certain apps and learning how powerful your phone really is, you will not be disappointed.

As I said above, I am always running across new things. Just yesterday, I kept seeing an app called Swype being constantly mentioned in several threads, so I decided to look it up. It is a revolutionary new way to type via the virtual keyboard (on-screen KB). Finding gems like this is a real treat, and I find them all the time on these forums. Droid rocks, and all of this is coming from an iPhone 3G ex-owner.

Swype:
  11. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Im not really sure what the "Webster's" definition of ROM is...but its basically like a different version of your phones version or build...it can be highly customized as in colors and what not, and customized performances like tethering or overclocking...you could get a ROM that has all this on it and 2.1 firmware if you wanted to, complete with the livewallpapers and all...in order to do any this you must be rooted first...but once the official 2.1 comes out over the air, if one wants to keep there root privileges, they can wait til the devs create a customized version of the update and then just install that ROM on their phone...
  12. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Hope that helps. If you need clarification on any of these answers, please feel free to ask!
  13. Jonny Kansas

14. Jonny Kansas

15. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

Thanks for all the info, few more questions though.

Is there a way to un root your phone?

If I do brick it, can't you use a back up and restore the phone?

Finally with apps like home++, can you combine features from several to create a unquie home?
  16. Jonny Kansas

Yes, there are directions for returning to stock as long as you install the appropriate recovery software. I'd find the link for you, but I'm off my laptop and on my Droid now. You can probably find them by searching unroot or return to stock.

I HAVE heard that some people have been able to recover. From what I understand, it's pretty difficult to completely screw yourself, but still possible depending on the things you attempt to do.

The only way to combine features of separate apps would be to develop your own and hope that you can get source code for the features you want. If you install 2-3 different home apps, you can only utilize the features of one at a time.

As I think I stated before, the dev of home++ is working on separating parts of the app. If that were the case and they worked over the top of the stock home and Oberlin development followed suit, its a possibility you could get the best of all worlds. That's in the distant future if it exists at all though. When 2.1 comes out with 5 screens, they WILL have to make changes to stay relevant.
  17. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

Thank you. One final thought for right now, should I just wait for the nexus one?
  18. Jonny Kansas

You mean wait to see if/when it comes to Verizon, or use T-Mobile? I haven't looked into it much, as I really like the Droid, but that's a personal call on your part. If you're thinking about T-Mobile, their 3G coverage is a joke, so you'll be disappointed in the internet/download speeds.

There will always be something new and shiny that comes out right when you buy something else. The Droid is a good investment in my opinion.
  19. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

Which data plan do I need? The $30 or $45? I don't want any surprise bills.

The $45 is labeled as unlimited data, do I need that?

I'll be surfing web/downloading apps etc... I don't want to be charged for data.
  20. Jonny Kansas

Just checked my plan. I have the $29.99/month email & web for smartphone and have browsed the web/downloaded stuff like its going out of style since November. All you need is the $30 data plan!