Thinking of getting a Droid.. have some concerns...

NYZ93

Reaction score
I guess I should ask this.

Does any of this require flashing the firmware?
Does any of it prevent updates? Like do I need to wait for new firmware to be cracked before I update? Or can I just use my phone and update whenever every ROOTing?
And what about contacts and stuff verizon transfers over for me. will I lose these when I root and load up a rom?

I just want to make sure I wont be dissapointed. If my phone was as laggy as that store model I would be very dissapointed with it.

I expect my web surfing to be crystal smooth[/QUOTE]

im not sure what that is im not gonna lie
but you can go back to stock at any time many tutorials
for rooting roms unrooting etc. on this site
When you root yes it blocks motorolas ota updates so you dont lose your root (which will then cause you to lose your rom)[you can always go back to stock if moto has a super good update you want and you can get that update
Transfer with bluetooth thats what i did and no you dont lose them with roms

Its really smooth surfing the problem with the floor model at vz was probably that it was running a million and one different things since its a multitasking device unlike crappy *cough* Iphone which means you can open many things and they stay opened in the background so you can go back to it from where you left off to close them isnt a problem you get task killer app which completley closes them like the iPhone would

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Well I guess that pretty much sells me. I guess the final thing I should ask is... is the Nexus one better? Should I hold out a few weeks for that? How do they compare? Is the nexus one going to be as modable?

*edit*

Thanks for all your help. This community is great. I could imagine the reverse of this post on an apple forum would be littered with "LOL TROLLL IPHONE IS GREAT".

I was half expecting that here. Consider myself happily surprised.

Reaction score
Well I guess that pretty much sells me. I guess the final thing I should ask is... is the Nexus one better? Should I hold out a few weeks for that? How do they compare? Is the nexus one going to be as modable?

*edit*

Thanks for all your help. This community is great. I could imagine the reverse of this post on an apple forum would be littered with "LOL TROLLL IPHONE IS GREAT".

My personal preference is for the droid theirs a few reasons for this,
1. Its got a full hardware qwerty keyboard for long emails / txts
2. Its got a larger display and runs at a higher resolution
3. To me it just looks like a sexy man phone not some princess :p ( hopes someone gets the commercial reference)

In the end i think either way u wont be disappointed but the droid is the main bad boy in the scene atm here for Verizon.

NYZ93

Reaction score
N1 hmm i kinda like it and i dont i dont think its as modable as of right now maybe later then again you never know it might never happen i mean i thought a keyboard wasnt a big deal had env touch but know im so happy i got it so i thought i wasnt gonna use the keyboard but when typing long text or w/e it REALLY helps you out

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

*edit*

You can lookup the specs for the NO online, so I cant answer the first question for you. I would expect that it's just as modable, since it runs the Android OS (which is what lets us do all the cool things).

As far as the forum goes, I think we all try to keep an open mind. I dislike Apple and Steve Jobs, but I just bought an iPod for my truck, so.... Competition is good, we just like to be proud of what makes our phones different (and in our eyes, better).

Happy Droiding.

Reaction score
Exactly i came from a old env2 so i sort of know where ur coming from. My ex tried to give me her old lg dare multiple times but i simply could not do it because a keyboard is essential for long txts man.

If you need some help feel free to pm me or whatever or to make a post asking for help.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't have VZW transfer your contacts. Save them to a .csv file and upload it to your Gmail account. Less chance of missing contacts/duplicate contacts.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Don't have VZW transfer your contacts. Save them to a .csv file and upload it to your Gmail account. Less chance of missing contacts/duplicate contacts.

How do I do that with my env touch>?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
So what if I where to get a Droid Eris... as a temporary hold over for the Droid 2 in the winter..

Is the droid Eris decent? Is it as modable as the Motorola Droid? how does it preform with web surfing and stuff?

Besides the keyboard what does the droid have the eris doesnt?

slinky

Reaction score
So what if I where to get a Droid Eris... as a temporary hold over for the Droid 2 in the winter..

Is the droid Eris decent? Is it as modable as the Motorola Droid? how does it preform with web surfing and stuff?

To the OP and this reply. I used to have an iPhone. It's small but it's not that much smaller than a droid to even be noticeable. My phone, even with the bulkiest case Verizon sells, is pretty easy to carry and even put in my pocket.

1. The resolution and many other things in the Droid are a step up over the Eris, especially the build.

2. I wasn't so impressed with the Eris and would sooner get a Nexus One.

3. So you're going to buy a phone now and upgrade in six months? Terminations are a fortune and not sure if you want to buy one outright as they are still expensive.

4. If you want to get rid of the iPhone, the droid is a great experience. I find the double tap a major timesaver over multitouch and it usually expands the screen large enough for comfortable reading. the stock browser is a little choppy sometimes but other browsers are just as smooth if not smoother.

I'd say if you're looking for a good phone on VZW, get the Droid and don't look back. Nobody knows whether Moto will do such an amazing job on the next phone to knock this one clear out of the water. I can see myself pretty happy with this phone for a while.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score

To the OP and this reply. I used to have an iPhone. It's small but it's not that much smaller than a droid to even be noticeable. My phone, even with the bulkiest case Verizon sells, is pretty easy to carry and even put in my pocket.

1. The resolution and many other things in the Droid are a step up over the Eris, especially the build.

2. I wasn't so impressed with the Eris and would sooner get a Nexus One.

3. So you're going to buy a phone now and upgrade in six months? Terminations are a fortune and not sure if you want to buy one outright as they are still expensive.

4. If you want to get rid of the iPhone, the droid is a great experience. I find the double tap a major timesaver over multitouch and it usually expands the screen large enough for comfortable reading. the stock browser is a little choppy sometimes but other browsers are just as smooth if not smoother.

I'd say if you're looking for a good phone on VZW, get the Droid and don't look back. Nobody knows whether Moto will do such an amazing job on the next phone to knock this one clear out of the water. I can see myself pretty happy with this phone for a while.

im currently with verizon now, i only have an itouch, but it is the same OS

are there any videos of the improved browsing and multitouch on the motorola droid? Id love to put my mind at ease.

*EDIT*

Any word on the Nexus one? It seems like it would be a better fit for me. a Bit slimmer and lighter. Any word on when it might come ot verizon and how well it preforms?

Last edited:

gt_nfr

Reaction score
Nexus one has no physical keyboard if thats a big concern for you.

Also, nexus one seems to have screen and quality control issues. Just google it

I USED to have an iPod touch (1st gen), sold it the day I got the droid. I actually thought my Droid (not rooted or anything, just plain 'ol OS) is much more responsive in just about every way compared to the iPod.

You might have been messing around with a buggy one in store but I was VERY surprised at the responsiveness of the browser and maps application. If you're on VZW, get the droid, its build quality is excellent compared the the Eris. Not a big fan of the physical keyboard layout but I'm getting pretty fast on it.

bacalao

Reaction score
There is so much the Droid can do. Really just as able, performance-wise, as the nexus one. If you're still on the fence, try the Droid first (nexus is not sold in stores, and you get a 30 day trial). I've read that it is either hard or not yet possible to un-root the nexus. Double check that though, I would really bad if I was spreading a false rumor.
One more that is not mentioned yet. Your music. I'm sure you use iTunes, and at first you'll be cursing the adjustments you have to make to get all your music back in business. There are plenty of music apps in the market that can get the job done. In addition to having just any app or equivalent you can find for your touch.
I predict that if you give wither the nexus or Droid a trial you keep it and be happy. As for future phones, I think it is safe to say that most of us will be more than happy with the Droid until an LTE capable smartphone comes out next year. The Droid wont get stale if flash ROMs and tweak themes around.
Good luck