Solar Panel Technology Embeded To Phone Screens?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Mar 25, 2011.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

The solar panel technology we have had for the last 20 years has not advanced much, but one French man thinks he has the next best thing that might change things. This solar charging technology was on display at CTIA this year, and after Engadget got a chance to talk to the person, they brought us a little information regarding this latest advancement. The basis of this new innovation is a thin transparent film that can be placed over anything, and while using it normally, it can be creating energy that’s naturally thrown off by the sun and unused by us.

This looks pretty incredible because the size of modern displays could allow a lot of energy to be created. This would make huge displays have more than just sex appeal over smaller screens.

Via: Wysips wants to turn your phone's display into a solar cell (hands-on with video) -- Engadget
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  2. SupAll

SupAll New Member

This is great news! +rep to the guy who was thinking outside the box in improving the power longevity of the phone by using solar cells. If this technology could ever be efficient enough to provide even half of the power required for the display at full brightness, just imagine how much longer phones can last.
  3. RedCavyRS99

RedCavyRS99 New Member

This is awesome, hope they come to market with it.
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet the major phone manufacturers and even laptop manufacturers could throw some money at it and get it progressing much faster if they wanted to. Awesome innovation!
  5. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Sounds like a great idea, my d1 dies pretty quickly now would love to have a solar powered phone like this in the near future

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

I want to volunteer for the testing phase. This would great for Thunderbolt owners.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

8. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

It would be awesome to have this technology built into the phone. I did not do all that much research but this is the one I just bought:
    Powerfilm USB + AA Solar Panel Charger NJ-34675
    and it just arrived yesterday. I hope to drain my Thunderbolt to death and see how much of a charge it can deliver. I'll let you know how it goes.
  9. Kag Pirate

Kag Pirate New Member

I'm one for solar power anything, but having one on the phone that can extend the battery is great. My only question, would it be worth the extra cost that it might bring to phones?

Again, I love solar power anything and I one for pushing homes roofs be made of solar power shingles that are being made now. New homes in up front cost and or 10 or less year old homes to get replaced if worth cost. OK back to phone stuff.... sorry :)

I was reading while back and found this news article of making batteries with new "nanotubes’ – carbon tubes 10,000 times smaller than a human hair" (note this is not the one I read but one I found that is close to the one I read.)

Mobile and laptop battery charges could last months thanks to nanotechnology | Mail Online

Now if we could add in the solar and these new batteries then power user could use until their hands fall off.

As a normal user I would like to see the solar film but, if I was putting my money into stock and or investing into a project. I would go for the batteries over solar power. Solar power is good if used right off the grid, unless you want to store it. Then batteries makes solar power more useful. Add these two techs together then we could have a real long powerhouse phone.
  10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Isn't part of the problem with solar that indoor lighting is only about 5% as efficient? I don't know that you could really draw enough power burning most of the juice indoors, although I suppose even a couple more hours would be valued by some.

The big hurdle just seems to be the battery. While all the other tech is advancing leaps and bounds literally every year batteries just seem to be almost at a standstill.

Now I'll tell you what kicks butt is I've had the same batteries in my HP12C for like 10 years. Granted I hardly ever use it but to last that long period is impressive.
  11. Kag Pirate

Kag Pirate New Member

WOW yes that is great even if you have used it not much. Most batteries like that tend to die after 5 years no matter what.

Agrees on the battery issue, making a better battery. Only real option as of now is a 2x the size battery. My old RAZR V3M was small enough to go that route. My Droid 1 NA just to big, and while thinking about after reading your post. Newer phones with a 2x size battery forget it.

Again I'm not saying anything bad about solar power, extra hour could save your life one day. :icon_ poke:
  12. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

True that with the whole life saving thing my d1 dies on me pretty quick now a days so i have to do a wipe of my battery stats and take it down to zero and charge it back up that always seems to give me a little bit better battery life but after a few days it goes back to how it was unfortunately
Search tags for this page
droid razr solar panel
droid x solar case
solar case for htc thunderbolt
solar panel cell phone case
solar panel phone screen
solar power case for droid 4

solar power case for htc thunderbolt

solar powered android phone
solar powered cellphone phone case for droid
x2 solar panel case