LG Officially Confirms They Are Mass Producing Flexible Displays for Smartphones

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Over the last couple of weeks we have had a huge build-up of rumors regarding the flexible screen displays supposedly coming from both LG and Samsung. LG was the first to fire a shot of confirmation today by sending out an official press release on the subject. LG is already mass producing a plastic-based 6-inch display. It will be only 0.44 millimeters thick and weigh 7.2 grams, which will likely make it the world’s lightest OLED display.

It has been supposedly confirmed separately by Reuters that LG's first device with the new tech will come sometime in November, and will be called the LG G Flex which confirms previous rumors. Here's the full presser below,

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around these flexible displays (pun intended). They can create curved glass displays so the only benefits I see to flexible displays (other than weight), are perhaps they're being scratch resistant (though I would think they'd be more prone to scratches) and shatter-proof (though a good dent will stay there indefinitely). Where I can see the flexible display really shine (pun intended again), is in a display that can fold or roll out and be larger when needed, yet can collapse to a smaller form when portability is an issue.

The prototype shown earlier with a wrap-around display (running over the face's sides and down the edges), seemed more novelty and not really effective. Yes, it could be an area for touch-sensitivity and status displays, but then how would you hold the phone? The sides are needed to hold it, otherwise you'd have to Velcro it to your palm or arm. Don't get me wrong...this IS an advance in technology, and I'm sure that the ways it will be used will be mind-blowing, but I can't conceptualize those mind-blowing purposes ATM. Where I do believe it shows benefit is in the shatter-proof area, but unless you have a flexible Capacitance Touch overlay, the Digitizer is going to be glass, and you still run the risk if it shattering. Furthermore, the plastic display itself - if somehow incorporated with touch sensitiveness and left exposed to the elements will be far more susceptible to damage from scratches and wear than the glass is now. Unless they are able to come up with "Gorilla Plastic", I don't find it all that alluring.