So you want to edit xml's or more... an ADB. APK Manager How-To (Basics)

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
trying to decompile apk files hmmm now it wont even give me a read log file arrr ok sorry ppl im going to uninstall everything and reinstall it again cause now its not working at all ill post later.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
framework-res.apk
The only thing I touched in the framework was the battery images and the 2 battery XMLs in drawable-hdpi. Something seems like it went wrong though. I renamed it to framework-res.apk, and copied it to system/framework/ using root explorer. I could have pushed via adb but find root explorer easier. I dont think that root explorer method is a problem though is it? I dont recall the 2 errors it throws at me though. Something about MSDNI I think, and something else. I can document them tomorrow if needed.

Could some one take a look at this and tell me what I did wrong? And yes I know the D series can only monitor 10% increments for the battery but I want 100 battery life increments as I am attempting to get 1% increments working for us all!

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You have 100 images for the battery in the framework?
And what exactly did you change in the battery xmls

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
You have 100 images for the battery in the framework?

Yes..like I said, kind of have to if I want to try to get the stock battery indicator to report the percentage in 1% increments unless theres some trick I dont know about :p

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I think you have the right concept but in order to put that many more images in the framework i would think there are several other coding changes you would have to make to the rom itself, I don't recall ever seeing 1% incriments in a rom which tends to make me think it may be a daunting task

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There is a battery widget that will display 1% but that's all I've seen

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Well I think you have the right concept but in order to put that many more images in the framework i would think there are several other coding changes you would have to make to the rom itself, I don't recall ever seeing 1% incriments in a rom which tends to make me think it may be a daunting task

I am well aware and I have already been investigating that. This was just a test run of the XMLs and images to ensure that everything has gone to plane so far. Trust me I am well aware of what I am getting in to. Not claiming I can do it but it cant hurt to try right?

There is a battery widget that will display 1% but that's all I've seen

I refuse to waste home screen space for a battery widget. I use Battmonx as it is and this places an iconin the notification bar that reports the percentages in 1%s and uses /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charge_counter to report the percentage used. I have checked my charge_counter against Battmonx reported percentage (donate version actually, well worth it imo for 1% increments on the Droids but lacks a bit of customization but the dev says a major update is on its way soon)and every time I did it was dead on, and if it was off, it was only by 1%, and ended up updating with in a few seconds of checking charge_counter anyways.

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
All the power to you if you get it working you will pioneer the way

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the support. No promises of course but if you could double check my apk I would greatley apreciate it. I ended up trying it in a flashable zip, and it seems to work fine now, but just looking for confirmation.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do you really need 1% increments???... 5% won't cut it?,

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

I have already laid the ground work, to an extent for 1%, why bother with 5% now?

You know, it would really be appreciated if some one would just take a look at the framework for me and confirm everything looks good. Is that so much to ask? Trying to learn, but if no ones here to tech me how can I learn?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I have already laid the ground work, to an extent for 1%, why bother with 5% now?

You know, it would really be appreciated if some one would just take a look at the framework for me and confirm everything looks good. Is that so much to ask? Trying to learn, but if no ones here to tech me how can I learn?
Sorry if I stepped on your toes bro, didn't mean no harm... just was curious as to why so much work for 1% increments, but I should understand better than many since I do some crazy sh*t for one or two small changes...lmao... anyways, nope can't see anything except some warnings when recompiling, so I guess I can't be of help...:icon_eek:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Its all good. Not mad or anything, just frustrated at the responses I was getting. Thank you for taking the time to look. Do you recall the errors? When I threw it together in SignAPK it didnt throw any errors at me. Was it maybe draw9.png errors? Didnt touch any of the draw9 pngs so I dont see why they would throw errors but you know how those draw9s can be :p

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Its all good. Not mad or anything, just frustrated at the responses I was getting. Thank you for taking the time to look. Do you recall the errors? When I threw it together in SignAPK it didnt throw any errors at me. Was it maybe draw9.png errors? Didnt touch any of the draw9 pngs so I dont see why they would throw errors but you know how those draw9s can be :p

No .9.png errors... just some warnings about some strings that I couldn't locate...

aapt: warning: string 'daily' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'debug' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'every_weekday' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'googlewebcontenthelper_loading' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'grant_credentials_permission_message_desc' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'grant_credentials_permission_message_with_authtokenlabel_desc' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'monthly' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'permdesc_backup_data' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'permdesc_restartPackages' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'permlab_backup_data' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'permlab_restartPackages' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'usb_storage_button_unmount' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'usb_storage_stop_button_unmount' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'weekly' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB
aapt: warning: string 'yearly' has no default translation in H:\Droid\APKs\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res; found: en_GB

Does the battery change anim work?... if so and the battery icons are displaying properly I don't see anything else that would pose a problem with the rest of the system...