Run adb install command on Windows 7 questions

android001

Reaction score
I have everything, android sdk, eclipse, environment variables, setup on my Windows 7 machine. I follow the official guide from developer.android.com to run the MyFirstApp example. I tried command line and eclipse with AVD (virtual device). The emulator is running ok and the AVD is up . But I am stopped at the adb install step with the following error on both command line and eclipse:

Code:
E:\Workspace\MyFirstApp>adb install bin\MyFirstApp-debug.apk
failed to copy 'bin\MyFirstApp-debug.apk' to '/data/local/tmp/MyFirstApp-debug.apk': No such file or directory

My sdk is installed at a location without any white space in the path: "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk"

I am on Windows. Why the error message is showing a linux style location, /data/local/tmp/MyFirstApp-debug.apk?
I cannot use above command on Windows?
Where the adb install try to install the apk to?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have everything, android sdk, eclipse, environment variables, setup on my Windows 7 machine. I follow the official guide from developer.android.com to run the MyFirstApp example. I tried command line and eclipse with AVD (virtual device). The emulator is running ok and the AVD is up . But I am stopped at the adb install step with the following error on both command line and eclipse:

Code:
E:\Workspace\MyFirstApp>adb install bin\MyFirstApp-debug.apk
failed to copy 'bin\MyFirstApp-debug.apk' to '/data/local/tmp/MyFirstApp-debug.apk': No such file or directory

My sdk is installed at a location without any white space in the path: "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk"

I am on Windows. Why the error message is showing a linux style location, /data/local/tmp/MyFirstApp-debug.apk?
I cannot use above command on Windows?
Where the adb install try to install the apk to?

The Linux location... Is the location it's trying to move the apk to on the device so it can install it..
The problem is it can't find the apk bin\ when you try the install command... Point it at the apk... Ie adb install c:\location\of\file.apk

Cellar Door

"Who are you people and where is my horse?"

OP
A

android001

Reaction score
The Linux location... Is the location it's trying to move the apk to on the device so it can install it..
The problem is it can't find the apk bin\ when you try the install command... Point it at the apk... Ie adb install c:\location\of\file.apk

I am pretty sure it is not caused by cannot find the apk file source. If I change the "adb install bin\MyFirstApp-debug.apk" to another location, I will get another error telling me cannot find the apk file. But the error I show you is cannot find the destination, which is a linux style location but I am at a Windows machine. That is what confuse me. Do you know where the "adb" try to copy the file to? I may can manually copy it into there.

I actually copied that apk file into the "android-sdk\tools" folder, but the result is the same. My emulator works fine on the machine.

AND I can adb install the apk to my phone without problem. But I want dev/test on my PC first.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ah... looks like i read it the same... and like i said... it's giving the linux style location because android is linux... as far as the error... are you getting the error while trying to install via adb onto the android emulator?

OP
A

android001

Reaction score
ah... looks like i read it the same... and like i said... it's giving the linux style location because android is linux... as far as the error... are you getting the error while trying to install via adb onto the android emulator?

Yes, the error happened while I try to install via adb onto the emulator.
I was able to install apk onto my phone with the same command without any problem.

Do you know where the apk should be put in the Emulator case? I can manually copy it over.