So I got a replacement droid, and a lesson on overclocking

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Hi everybody, So I've been rooted and overclocked for about a month now and loving it, that is except for a few days ago when 'Sexy' (my droid) decided that her magnetic sensor was going to quit, most likely a result of overheating. She will be missed, but I'm probably gonna forget her now that most of my time will be spent with her twin 'Sexy mk:II'.

Just a forewarning to all those going where no DROID has gone before. Live long and prosper fellow DROIDs.
dancingDroid.gif

toastedoats

Reaction score
what makes you think that the sensor failed due to heat? And that the heat was from the OC?

Last edited:
OP
droid d'oh

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Usually it would register that the media dock was attached at aound 43C(it wasn't), then all hell would break loose with the magnetic sensor. This happened only at that temp, and more frequently with time, so I assume that it was the heat that killed it.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had my phone overclocked at 1 gHZ for other a month and use both the Multimedia Dock and Car Dock daily. I don't think overheating is what caused it.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
43C?? Christ howd you do that? I am at 32 right now at 800mhz.

OP
droid d'oh

droid d'oh

Reaction score
43C?? Christ howd you do that? I am at 32 right now at 800mhz.

No idea, it was one of the first DROIDs made back in October. Certainly kept my hands nice and toasty.

91jolson

Reaction score
Mines pretty toasty too. Usually about 95f, but i have spikes to around 115f. Ive even hit 126f, which really freaked me out. Im running DM 1.0 @ 800. But I never really had heat issues with the later version of SholesMod, and that was at 1k-1.2k. I wonder what changed.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's amazing to see the people who root come out and deny it could have been the overclocking that did it.

Wake up guys - you're taking a risk and you know it. Every Droid chip is different.

toastedoats

Reaction score
I doubt that 43*c could cause much problems

In the user guide it states to avoid ambient temperatures over 45c/113f If your ambient temp is that high your operating temp will be significantly higher.