Wife Ordered Droid Yesterday

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly what the title says, she ordered a Droid. And I'm wondering how it's going to go over with her.

She had a blackberry curve and other then answering emails and maybe taking a picture once every blue moon that was about it. A Droid may not be right for her, but she did play around with mine the other day and decided she liked the touch screen better then the Blackberry Storm so she bought one.

Now I'm trying to get her excited about all the things she could do with it and most of the time she says, "I don't need that."

So why did she get a Droid.

She's sharp with IT but had little interest in the Blackberry Curve which is going away at the end of April. I'm also wondering if we did the right thing financially. True we got the Droid for 19.95 with a two year contract, but I kind of wonder if maybe we could have added another line, paid more for the Droid and came out ahead.

Well, what's done is done. Fortunately Amazon has a 30 day return policy too so we will be able to take advantage of that But we will still be stuck with a 2 year contract and another phone. Blackberry curve was .01 on Amazon but she wanted a Droid.

She's excited about Skype being on the Droid as this is used frequently in her Second Life job that she has, but from what I've seen so far Skype isn't working very well.

I asked her today if he was going to join the forum and her response was, "Why should I, I've got you." OMG.

Anyway it arrives on Wednesday. I've already sent her a .pdf and she does have gmail accounts set up so we will see how it goes. Should be interesting.

warrior21

Reaction score
My wife was a die hard blackberry curve user also and she was going to upgrade to the newer one without the track ball until she started playing around with my droid. She received her droid in the mail on Tuesday and although its been a little difficult for her to get used to the touch screen she loves it. I told her she has it easy because she has me to show her all the basics. I had to do a lot of reading to figure out this phone, thank God for this forum or I'd be lost still.

huskur

Reaction score
Hook? Remember in one thread I said "we think similar in the way we do things?" Well, my wifes droid came in yesterday. Will activate it on Sunday when she is home fromk work. She also shares the same sentiment as your wife about the joining of the forums. Hope they both love them. My wife doesn't want all the stuff I have like root, UD 8.1.1 and all that comes with it. So we will have one droid stock and the other on steriods. (Can't give up the overclock or tether)

CatsTide

Reaction score
good god...she will be a pro in no time with you in the house :icon_ banana:

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook? Remember in one thread I said "we think similar in the way we do things?" Well, my wifes droid came in yesterday. Will activate it on Sunday when she is home fromk work. She also shares the same sentiment as your wife about the joining of the forums. Hope they both love them. My wife doesn't want all the stuff I have like root, UD 8.1.1 and all that comes with it. So we will have one droid stock and the other on steriods. (Can't give up the overclock or tether)

Yep, I remember that. I'm still on stock too and intend to stay that way as long as I can hold out. The only reason I haven't rooted again by now was it sucked the life out of my battery overclocking with Droidmod and I'm not certain on how to install Blackdroids ROM which I hear so many good things about. And I really want to give 2.1 a chance on stock.

She's already informed me that there will be none of this rooting or anything when she gets her Droid. I was thinking for grins and giggles if she left it downstairs maybe sticking Droidmod on it and see if she notices, lol. But she has this look she gives that's more frightening then a left hook so I'm probably not going to go there.;)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My girlfriend may get the Droid, and I too am wondering just how much trouble shooting I may be doing for her. She gets easily overwhelmed :)

huskur

Reaction score

Yep, I remember that. I'm still on stock too and intend to stay that way as long as I can hold out. The only reason I haven't rooted again by now was it sucked the life out of my battery overclocking with Droidmod and I'm not certain on how to install Blackdroids ROM which I hear so many good things about. And I really want to give 2.1 a chance on stock.

She's already informed me that there will be none of this rooting or anything when she gets her Droid. I was thinking for grins and giggles if she left it downstairs maybe sticking Droidmod on it and see if she notices, lol. But she has this look she gives that's more frightening then a left hook so I'm probably not going to go there.;)
Well I took a look at the situation.....what is vzw going to offer that a custom rom will not? Really nothing in my opinion. It actually takes away in some aspects.

Installing UD is easy. Just root with droidmod. You know how to do that. Install it like you did before exactly. Then just go to the market and get ROM Manager. Once that is installed you click on it in your app drawer and select which ROM you want. Once selected it downloads and installs itself. Kinda like droidmod but easier. Fyi I use my phone heavy and get 24 hours easy and that's oc'd at 800 mhz all the time.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend may get the Droid, and I too am wondering just how much trouble shooting I may be doing for her. She gets easily overwhelmed :)

Yes, and even though my wife is very computer literate I foresee several issues like accidentally hitting the wrong button and wondering what happened. Plus she does have long hair but she keeps in a pony tail 99% of the time.

I'm really surprised you decided to try it. I guess she feels that she needs to up her social networking since she got laid off and wants it for that aspect too.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yes, and even though my wife is very computer literate I foresee several issues like accidentally hitting the wrong button and wondering what happened. Plus she does have long hair but she keeps in a pony tail 99% of the time.

I'm really surprised you decided to try it. I guess she feels that she needs to up her social networking since she got laid off and wants it for that aspect too.
I will keep my Droid rooted, but I'm not rooting the GF's should she get one. I've got enough on my plate to keep my Droid up-to-date with ROMs and tweaks :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
My wife finally moved from a first generation ENV to the Droid last week. (She tried the Eris when I got my Droid in December and didn't like it. That's another story.)

My wife has an uncanny ability to demand incompatible features/functionality in technology. e.g. Small and light with a physical keyboard and big screen. Anyhow, she finally gave up and went with the Droid. Without a case it seems significantly smaller than my Seidio-encased Droid and that was enough to meet her size/weight requirements.

Knowing she would be overwhelmed with too many choices, I purposely avoided adding too many apps to her phone at first. Instead, I went to appbrain.com and chose judiciously among the 125 apps on my phone to give her what I thought would be a good set to start. (appbrain is a great way to configure a new phone from a known list.)

Set up her email to forward from the isp server (Comcast) to gmail while still downloading it her desktop Outlook account. Then I hid the "gmail" app in her app drawer and turned off notification of gmails. Added K-9 linked to the gmail account so she'd be alerted with a distinctive purple flashing light for emails and the list of emails would look similar to her Outlook presentation.

Synched her Outlook calendar to the gmail calendar and exported her contacts to gmail. Then added "agenda widget" to one of her home screens to give her a grid view of her calendar events. On her desktop system I put gmail, gCalendar, gConracts, and gDocs as bookmarks in a Chrome browser so she can call them up without interfering with her usual browsing on IE. (Argghh.)

Added Screebl and set her timeout to 15 seconds to preserve her battery. Added Y5 battery saver to allow her to use the home wifi network transparently when she's at home.

Purchased the Droid Pocket Guide by Jason O'Grady from Amazon and requested that she read it before asking me questions.

So far, so good. She loves the phone.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife finally moved from a first generation ENV to the Droid last week. (She tried the Eris when I got my Droid in December and didn't like it. That's another story.)

My wife has an uncanny ability to demand incompatible features/functionality in technology. e.g. Small and light with a physical keyboard and big screen. Anyhow, she finally gave up and went with the Droid. Without a case it seems significantly smaller than my Seidio-encased Droid and that was enough to meet her size/weight requirements.

Knowing she would be overwhelmed with too many choices, I purposely avoided adding too many apps to her phone at first. Instead, I went to appbrain.com and chose judiciously among the 125 apps on my phone to give her what I thought would be a good set to start. (appbrain is a great way to configure a new phone from a known list.)

Set up her email to forward from the isp server (Comcast) to gmail while still downloading it her desktop Outlook account. Then I hid the "gmail" app in her app drawer and turned off notification of gmails. Added K-9 linked to the gmail account so she'd be alerted with a distinctive purple flashing light for emails and the list of emails would look similar to her Outlook presentation.

Synched her Outlook calendar to the gmail calendar and exported her contacts to gmail. Then added "agenda widget" to one of her home screens to give her a grid view of her calendar events. On her desktop system I put gmail, gCalendar, gConracts, and gDocs as bookmarks in a Chrome browser so she can call them up without interfering with her usual browsing on IE. (Argghh.)

Added Screebl and set her timeout to 15 seconds to preserve her battery. Added Y5 battery saver to allow her to use the home wifi network transparently when she's at home.

Purchased the Droid Pocket Guide by Jason O'Grady from Amazon and requested that she read it before asking me questions.

So far, so good. She loves the phone.

I've sent her what I consider to be helpful links in advance including the PDF starter guide and links from 604k. That should contain all the knowledge she needs to get started.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've sent her what I consider to be helpful links in advance including the PDF starter guide and links from 604k. That should contain all the knowledge she needs to get started.

I did that, as well. But I'm impressed by O'Grady's Pocket Guide. It's more "conversational" and "informal" than the Motorola material. Peppered with some humor and makes good reading. My wife is not one to read a manual. (That's what she married me for.) And she finds the book helpful.