droid won't download/update any apps, also no internet

Reaction score
My wife complains to me yesterday that her droid won't DL any new apps. I try to get the same apps on my droid and they work fine. All her phone will say is "download of XXX was unsuccessful. Please try again".

I got to reading online and found that this was a common occurance. Most of the "fixes" for this involved going into settings - applications - manage - and then deleting cache/data memory for the market, market updater, download manager, so on and so forth.

I experimented with this repeatedly with the same results. No downloads.

I also noticed her internet does not work either. Any website you try it says that it is unavailable. If you switch on WIFI the internet works fine, but the downloads still do not. Once you switch WIFI off, the internet stops working also.

I went into mobile network settings and turned on "data when roaming" and the internet started working on it's own. Turned it back off and the internet goes down again. "Data when roaming" is not turned on in my droid and I am hesitant to leave it turned on in her phone.

Also I took the SD card from my droid and put into hers. No change.

She has plenty of internal and SD memory.

Some people have talked about this being in some way related to google services...such as google talk or gmail. Her gmail works fine. When I first tried to open google talk (never used it) it would not do anything but close immediately. I cleared app data/cache for google framework services and google talk will now open and seems to "work" normally (not sure what it is supposed to do) but this had no impact on the downloading of apps.

At this point I am ready to do a factory reset on her phone. I've done it before and am not afraid to. BUT...what if the inability to download apps is not resolved by that, leaving her with a phone that has basically no apps and no way to restore them? I have read of a couple users inflicted with this issue that did factory resets and still did not cure the problem.

We are not under aftermarket phone warranty with verizon, she waited beyond the 30 days to sign us up for their phone warranty. I'm not sure if we're still within the manufacturer's warranty or not. IF the phone does turn out to be screwed up what would she most likely get in exchange?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I am going to assume that her phone is not rooted. So I would suggest at this point to do a factory reset. If that does not fix the issues, then I would suggest you contact Verizon. There is a one year manufacturers warranty on the phones. Now I realize that the warranty is for hardware issues but if there is a problem with the software and Verizon cannot fix it they will give you a replacement droid. It maybe as simple as Verizon reprogramming it.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Sounds like 3G stopped working. Do the up/down arrows in the 3G icon in the notification bar ever light up when you try to hit a web page or download an app? It happened to a friend at work and he had to get it replaced. Hopefully the reset will fix it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Did a factory reset. Downloads working fine now. Phone seems a bit more stable and smooth to operate now as well, ever since the 2.2 update it was slow and choppy like a PC that hadn't been rebooted for 2 weeks.

However for whatever reason the phone did not remember what apps had been previously downloaded, so we're having to get the apps one by one manually. I recall that when I reset my own droid, it dl'd every app on it's own immediately after signing into google. Hers did not do that for some reason.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did a factory reset. Downloads working fine now. Phone seems a bit more stable and smooth to operate now as well, ever since the 2.2 update it was slow and choppy like a PC that hadn't been rebooted for 2 weeks.

However for whatever reason the phone did not remember what apps had been previously downloaded, so we're having to get the apps one by one manually. I recall that when I reset my own droid, it dl'd every app on it's own immediately after signing into google. Hers did not do that for some reason.

When you do a factory data reset that's what happens. You will find all your paid apps in the Market in your downloads.

Make sure you do not load a task killer or any antivirus to avoid future issues.

OP
R
Reaction score
When you do a factory data reset that's what happens. You will find all your paid apps in the Market in your downloads.

When I did the factory reset of my phone a few months back, all of my original apps downloaded automatically again. I didnt have to search for them one by one. This didn't happen on my wife's phone, I had to go and find them one at a time.

Make sure you do not load a task killer or any antivirus to avoid future issues.

I didn't, and there was never one on this phone to begin with.