So before I attempt this...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want to make sure that if I brick my girlfriend's TB, that I can flash it back to stock. I am on a DroidX now running RevNumbers CM7 Gingerbread nightlies. Very happy with the major boost in performance, options and flexibility. And I was secure in doing that, as I have the Motorola app and the SBF file to restore my phone in the event that I bricked it.

So before I root her TB, that is running the latest GB OTA update and attempt to install CM7, is there anything for the TB similar to the SBF stuff for the Moto phones?

I want to make sure that I have a backup plan, as when doing something for the first time on a new phone, you are more likely to make a mistake or forget a step and have to start over. I want to make sure that there is some sort of failsafe, as I do not want to have to shell out $400 for a new phone if I brick it.

Is there such a tool? Thanks!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Having a tbolt I prefer the tbolt over the dx and d2 because recovering from a brick is easier since you can unlock the bootloader.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Having a tbolt I prefer the tbolt over the dx and d2 because recovering from a brick is easier since you can unlock the bootloader.

Is there a link to thread showing how to recover a TB? The DroidX calls it SBF, but I don't know the term for the TB so was not sure what to actually search for...

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, cool, thanks!

As for ROM's, what's the best one for a non-technical person, who just wants speed, eye candy, good battery life, etc?

I read up on CM7 for the TB and in my opinion has too many bugs... just isn't ready for prime time quite yet...

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am running bamf adr now and I see no bugs. Im loving it especially the improved battery life.

[ROM]BAMF 2.4.1|2.11.605.0| (Side Project)

So once the phone is rooted, I can just download the zip file and use bootstrap recovery or something to install it, or should I just use ROM Manager? And do I need to install the Gapps and stuff or is that included in the ROM?

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems that I have to be a member there in order to get the download link?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should sign up at xda or RootzWiki.

sent from my bolt

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this method completely sucks. The phone lost all her data and didn't even root it.

Epic fail.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried it twice, followed the instructions to the letter, and both times it failed. No errors, it just wiped out all the data but didn't root anything.

So here are the instructions that I followed, and I will highlight where things went wrong:

Step 1) Install HTC FastBoot driver

Step 2) Go to REVOLUTIONARY and follow the instructions to download the file revolutionary-0.4pre3.zip. It will require you to know your cell phone's serial number, and what version of HBOOT you have.

Step 3) Plug your phone in, select "usb storage", and copy the Super User file to the SDCard somewhere (easiest if you don't put it into a folder on your SD card.) Don't unzip it.

Step 4) Plug in your phone, and when the prompt comes up, set to "Charge Only". Disregard any notices and don't install any additional drivers or whatnot.

Step 5) Unzip the Revolutionary zip file into a folder somewhere you can find it.

Step 6) Run the file "revolutionary.exe".

Step 7) Follow the prompts on the screen. It's pretty straightforward. It will reboot to HBOOT a couple times, the last time you'll see it at the top saying "S-Off".

Step 8) It asks you if you want to install clockwork recovery. Select "Y". You'll need this...

You now have a permanent custom recovery on your phone.

Now to actually Root it:

Step 9) From the HBOOT, scroll down to "Bootloader" using the volume keys, and select using the power button.

THIS IS WHERE IT BOMBED. Instead of letting me scroll to Recovery, it asks me if I want to apply the update, hit volume up for yes, and volume down for no. If I select yes, it applies a bunch of updates which restore the phone to an "out of the box" state with none of her data, and there is no root installed, I never get the option to "apply .zip from SD card".

So it anyone can tell me how to manually launch into recovery on the phone without root, maybe I can go in and manualy apply the zip file and obtain root?

I am really disappointed in this method as they make a big deal out of how easy it is and how you don't lose any data, and yet that is exactly what it did and I followed the instructions precisely, twice.

Any idears?

Then scroll/select "Recovery" Yes, it seems sluggish...that's fine. Don't be impatient; it'll let you scroll at some point...

Step 10) Wait! You'll see the HTC spash screen for a bit, and then eventually you'll be into Clockwork Recovery

Step 11) Scroll to "install zip from sdcard" and select.

Step 12) Scroll to "choose zip from sdcard"

Step 13) Find the super user file (su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip) (it'll be at the bottom of the directory list if you put it in the base directory of the sd card) and select it.

Step 14) Sit back and watch the quick show... If all goes well, it will install and show you when it's finished.

Step 15) Reboot the phone (keep selecting "back" until you have the option to reboot the phone)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where's DroidDoes? He's all over this. I'll see if I can't find someone for you.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have a file in the root of your sd named PG05IMG.zip, that file needs to be deleted before it will let you select recovery.

If the phone won't boot to the os you need to use a card reader or another phone

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Just take ur sd card out for now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see that file on the root of the SD card and deleted it.

Before I try this again, I do have one question... How does one determine which HBoot version I have? Thanks!