Slingbox and droid x. Is it worth it?

robpit

Reaction score
Looking at monsoon vulkano product and sling. I'm looking for a multimedia power house with the following features.

A. 3 or more inputs to choose from, from client end. 1 needing to be hd quality. (can us a modulator but prefer built in for infared remote control)
B. ability to stream media from tversity or media center to device or
attached storage with file sharing support over network
C. android client support of course.
D. interaction with device and receiver over infared to change channels on set top box.

reason. hooking up 2 surveilence cams and TV.
If anyone has some suggestions I'de love their input.

Thanks.

eurosteve

Reaction score
Just one more ? Do I buy the slingbox sb100 or the sling adapter from dish?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

The sling adapter plugs into the usb port on the DISH receiver. That's it. One plug. Plug and play. Works great and no configuration.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
L

LAssassin

Reaction score
I hate to tie myself down, but I do think I'm going with the adapter. It just seems like its going work better for my needs.

Just one more ? Do I buy the slingbox sb100 or the sling adapter from dish?

The sling adapter plugs into the usb port on the DISH receiver. That's it. One plug. Plug and play. Works great and no configuration.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jjt4433

Reaction score
can you connect the droid x to a tablet and watch slingbox?

I was thinking about buying a tablet that has an hdmi mini port so I can watch my slingbox on a bigger screen. I was wondering if this is possible to do? So basicall, I have sthe slingbox app on my droid x, I would love to hook it up to a tablet to watch my slingbox.

qman66

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a tablet that has an hdmi mini port so I can watch my slingbox on a bigger screen. I was wondering if this is possible to do? So basicall, I have sthe slingbox app on my droid x, I would love to hook it up to a tablet to watch my slingbox.
u have to make sure the hdmi comes fully unlocked. like the droid x isnt and will not allow it. Unless u get the real hdmi app. if the tablet doesnt give u full hdmi capabilites (only pics and videos from gallery) then no u wont be able to unless someone unlocks it like gman did with droid x

OP
L

LAssassin

Reaction score
So I should get my sling adapter today. But it looks like now I have to buy a new router because they sent me a link for router compatability and it said my router was too slow. This would have been great knowledge before I bought the sling box.

OP
L

LAssassin

Reaction score
Finally got my sling adapter hooked up today. Very disappointed. Slow and buffers ever 2 secs. So pixelated I can't even read jersey numbers. Sux

Technoman

Reaction score
I have the HAVA box by Monsoon Multimedia and the Vulkano App from the market. Box is more expensive but better quality than Sling Box

This is not necessarily true (& I have both a Sling Pro & a Vulkano Platinum)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/131073-slingbox-vs-vulkano-i-have-both.html

~John

I have to disagree... for purposes of streaming to the phone, even you stated that the HAVA )Vulkano streams better than the Sling Box.

jmorton10

Reaction score
I have to disagree... for purposes of streaming to the phone, even you stated that the HAVA )Vulkano streams better than the Sling Box.

Yea, if that's all you're worried about the Vulkano is slightly better.

To me, it's not worth the trade-of of ruining the picture on my high def TV's (720p is NOT good enough & it's very noticeable) & not having an internal tuner sucks.

If I had to pick just one unit to buy, the Sling wins hands down IMHO. I have other ways to record TV shows (I use BeyondTV on my computer)

~John

OP
L

LAssassin

Reaction score
Now when u guys stream to your phones are u using 3g mobile network or wifi

Reaction score
That I know of sling not compatiable with cable dish yes but I hear that if you ask direct tv they will sell it to you they just can't advertise it. B but don't worry dish is awsome...and you can actually get a receiver with sling built in

zoidal

Reaction score
Finally got my sling adapter hooked up today. Very disappointed. Slow and buffers ever 2 secs. So pixelated I can't even read jersey numbers. Sux

Must be bad speed on your internet connection.

i am constantly surprised at how good the video looks. granted, my slingbox and everything at home are on FIOS, which truly kicks ass. I think that makes the difference.