Dish Network to provide free TV streaming on mobile devices for subscribers

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
118q7hy.jpg

One feature lacking on Android devices is streaming live TV (aside from SlingBox). However, that is about to change for Dish Network customers. Soon, Dish Network subscribers will soon be able to watch live TV on their mobile devices, at no extra cost. A service... for free?! Now, you will need extra hardware for this setup to work, and Dish Network will provide two options. One is to purchase a SlingBox, which retails for $180 to $300. The second option would be to cough up "$200 to $400 to upgrade to Dish's HD DVR with SlingBox features." In addition to that flat fee, the multiple DVR service will cost $10 a month, but at least you'll get recording capabilities with it. So streaming TV onto your mobile device will be free, kinda. How will the free app work?

Viewers using Dish's new app can switch channels remotely. But if someone at home is watching one channel, the person using a mobile device elsewhere has to watch the same thing, unless the DVR being used has a second tuner. SlingBox also can access programs recorded on your DVR, but the box itself can't record.
Not so bad, but this "remote channel switching" could fuel some sibling rivalries. Parents, watch out!

It certainly seems that Dish Network has gotten the jump on its competitors with these new features. Not to mention that mobile streaming for Dish subscribers will technically be free of charge, this should propel ahead Dish Network in the eyes of many tech geeks and TV addicts. It certainly doesn't hurt that SlingBox and Dish Network have very close ties, in that both companies share the same CEO, Charles Ergen. Let's hope Verizon, DirecTV, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable, have an answer for this shortly. Expect the updated Dish Network app to hit the App Store sometime in September, and the Android Market should see the free app in October.

via Engadget
Source: Associated Press

Last edited:
OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is cool, wonder how the quality will be compared to say, sling..

it seems to use the same technology as Sling... so my best guess, streaming will be similar quality.

rgb2448

Reaction score
All you have to do is buy a sling box and you can watch any tv you have on your phone or computer. This includes directv and cable. You can change the channels or watch your dvr from your phone.

JimmyD

Reaction score
All you have to do is buy a sling box and you can watch any tv you have on your phone or computer. This includes directv and cable. You can change the channels or watch your dvr from your phone.

BINGO!

It's a bit misleading (or is it just genius marketing?!?!) when companies make offers like this!

Dish Network is offering free streaming TV, true; however, you will have to drop some coin on this or that in order for it to work! :icon_rolleyes:

That's like a car dealer saying:
Here you go, I'm offering you a free vehicle that you'll be able to drive everywhere to your heart's content... all you have to do is buy the engine in order for it to work.
:icon_ goofy:

crspang

Reaction score
I don't currently have an HD box with directv so if I gotta pay to upgrade I might as well get this.

prince1071

Reaction score

BINGO!

It's a bit misleading (or is it just genius marketing?!?!) when companies make offers like this!

Dish Network is offering free streaming TV, true; however, you will have to drop some coin on this or that in order for it to work! :icon_rolleyes:

Here you go, I'm offering you a free vehicle that you'll be able to drive everywhere to your heart's content... all you have to do is buy the engine in order for it to work.

LOL...Yeah, I had to read it twice cause I thought I missed something..... I always thought, anyone can buy a slingbox and do this already...

themuttt

Reaction score

BINGO!

is that any different than "you can watch streaming TV on your phone, but it has to be an android phone"?

all I had to do is upgrade my dish box. I instead added a VIP922 to make life easier for me but could have just graded the box had I wanted to. Dish (well Echostar) owns Sling so it is exactly like having a slingbox built into your sat box, and it works quite well on my work PC. I can't wait to get this in October because I don't feel like paying $30 for the regular sling player. I'm not sure why they don't do it like they are doing with the ifone where you pay the $30 for the app and then get the credit on the Dish bill?

CompleteGFX

Reaction score
I am a dish network technician. The reciever you are refering to is our "922" w/ a $400 msrp. This reciever is our dual hd dvr. However you will NOT receive high def on your mobile and there is no "tv2" output. This reciever will also broadcast tv to your pc (if configured correctly). The customer WILL HAVE TO HAVE HIGHSPEED BROADBAND INTERNET to effectivly use this reciever with their computer.

If you are useing a standard def reciever (322, 311, 301, 211, and all other legacy recievers), you will have to pay $100 for the dish antenna upgrade (from dish 500 to a dish 1k2 or a 1k4). However if you have had your account for more than 1 year you Might qualify for a free Antenna upgrade (this is if you have signed the 24 month agreement and not a prepaid flex plan).

Also, you will have to pay for a tech visit. This is a $95 charge, UNLESS you pay the $6 a month tech service plan. In which case it will be a $15 tech visit charge.

If you guys have questions about this reciever, or any other tech related questions feel free to ask.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
So... what's the difference between this new announcement and the current use of slingbox with any tv provider?

mumblemouth1

Reaction score
So... what's the difference between this new announcement and the current use of slingbox with any tv provider?
They are not saying anything about the use of slingbox with any tv provider. They are announcing free sling service to your mobile, right now if you want sling service to your mobile you have to pay 30 $ for each phone that you want to recieve service, they are just announcing that is waved if your a dish network subscriber, you would still need slingbox equipment

themuttt

Reaction score
They are not saying anything about the use of slingbox with any tv provider. They are announcing free sling service to your mobile, right now if you want sling service to your mobile you have to pay 30 $ for each phone that you want to recieve service, they are just announcing that is waved if your a dish network subscriber, you would still need slingbox equipment
actually it is not waived for android, they are coming out with a separate app for some reason. The ifone on the other hand uses the regular app and you get the $30 credited to your Dish bill. Not sure why you would do one, one way and another the other though

themuttt

Reaction score
nothing. If you have a Dish 922 receiver and want to watch it on your phone, you will be able to get a free app in the fall. If you have a regular slingbox and want to watch it on your phone, you will have to cough up $30 for an app