Slingbox vs Vulkano (I have both)

Tiburon

Reaction score
I had the wifi problem. Said "Could not connect to P2P server." Rolled back to old version and *poof* worked like a charm. Either way, the Vulkano is awesome and for the $99 they're selling it for, it is a major win.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Where is the Vulkano available for $99 at? Like I said I have the older HAVA device (also made by Monsoon) and would love to upgrade to the newer box.

I picked it up from their site about a month ago, they were running a promotion (probably before the release of the Flow, their newest device. I think the coupon code was 112510 (if it's still valid). Try it and see, but I got it for $99.99 + shipping.

OP
J

jmorton10

Reaction score
Where is the Vulkano available for $99 at? Like I said I have the older HAVA device (also made by Monsoon) and would love to upgrade to the newer box.

They where on sale at that price a while back. I bought the top one with the 1TB hard drive for $169 IIRC but the price is higher now.

~John

Tiburon

Reaction score
I had the wifi problem. Said "Could not connect to P2P server." Rolled back to old version and *poof* worked like a charm. Either way, the Vulkano is awesome and for the $99 they're selling it for, it is a major win.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

I picked it up from their site about a month ago, they were running a promotion (probably before the release of the Flow, their newest device. I think the coupon code was 112510 (if it's still valid). Try it and see, but I got it for $99.99 + shipping.

By the way, on their forums, they list a "Private" coupon code to get the Vulkano Platinum for $99+shipping. The code is good on myvulkano.com and the code is "vpl050" (without the quotes, obv). I just noticed this today.

Technoman

Reaction score
Is the Platinum the same box as the other 2 just minus the additional drive or SD Card?

If it is, I would just get the base unit and add as I wanted to get the additional abilities.

Tiburon

Reaction score
Yes. The exact same box. The next model up has the SD card, the high end model has a hard drive.

OP
J

jmorton10

Reaction score
Is the Platinum the same box as the other 2 just minus the additional drive or SD Card?

If it is, I would just get the base unit and add as I wanted to get the additional abilities.

Yea, you can definitely do that. As I stated earlier, I bought the top end model with the one terrabyte drive. When you do the initial setup, it formats the drive. I had a terrrible time getting it to recognize the drive, it kept saying "no drive detected". Part of the problem was, the sata cable that comes with the drive is a very loose sloppy fit in the drive & will lose connection by just bumping the drive.

I finally got it to work, only to have it quit working one week later. At that point, nothing I tried worked so in disgust I stuck in a 32 bit SDHC card which formatted & worked just fine.

A few days ago, I did a factory reset on the Vulkano for other problems & all of a sudden the big drive showed up & started working just fine again (although I don't really trust it at this point)

Now, in the advance options under storage I have both options listed. I can use either the one terrabyte sata drive or the 32 gig SDHC drive to store recorded programs to.

Guess I won't run out of space anytime soon..........

~John

pftname

Reaction score
Please bear with me as I am new to the Slingbox/Vulkano area. Situation is that I want to use a placeshifter strictly to watch my home tv while at a summer residence. Want to use wireless if at all possible at home (Netgear wrn3500v2) as output via Comcast to a laptop/netbook connected to a non-hd tv at other location via Time Warner modem-sorry mod n/a. Questions are:
It apppears that the Platium model will work but ?'s are:

-the receiving tv is OLD-only has s-video, etc type connections-will I have to buy a special hdmi-s video type cable-or converter plug or something to make it work?
-what is min internet speeds req'd for this to work? Plenty of speed on sending end but receiving speed is only about 780kbs-with possible upgrade to1.5 mbps;
-how difficult is the set up-have seen various posts but I basically need a 'pnp' as I'd be lost beyond that;
-do I really need the Platinum or would the Flow work? Don't care about recording, etc, just want the wi-fi connection & decent pics;

Probably have other ?'s but would appreciate these basics answered to take advantage of current pricing.

Any help greatly appreciated. TIA.

Lost in Vulkano land--

Tiburon

Reaction score
Ok, I can help. The Vulkano is the placeshifter on your home TV. You can connect the Vulkano to your router wirelessly (802.11n) and you can view remotely at your summer residence. No problem.

Does your laptop/netbook have s-video out?

If so, you have no troubles at all. If not, you need to evaluate how to get your video-out on your laptop/netbook to an S-video for the television.

If you can get 150 kbps on the receiving PC, you can transmit SDTV with good quality. More is obviously better, but 150kbps looks ok on a mobile phone. I never have a problem on remote WiFi and I'm usually around 600kbps.

Set-up is a snap. Vulkano pretty much configures itself. Select wireless setup, follow the prompts. Slingbox is equally awesome, but requires additional hardware to do wireless to the router.

I have the Platinum, got it for $99+ shipping. I would stick with the Platinum, because they're charging for mobile (phone) players for the Flow. The Platinum also gives you the option to expand if you so choose later (SD card, etc).

pftname

Reaction score
Hey Tiburon-Thx for the reply/info.
Of course the netbook doesn't have a s-video out. That would be too easy. Has a rgp (which I believe is the same as 15 pin vga) out, so I have to find a cable that converts that to s-video. Have done a couple of searches on line & appears they're available but there seems to be some ?'s re: video card supporting tv. But, docs that came with the laptop (samsung n120) say a monitor/tv can be used as long as I find a vga cable to connect it, so it appears it should work as there's no mention of the video card issue. Famous last words. I want to order the Platinum tomorrow as the price is 129 vs 149.

Thx again for the info-hopefully it'll work.

Tiburon

Reaction score
This is your worst case scenario:

Amazon Link

Best of luck. If you run into problems, post here and I'll try to help you troubleshoot it.

pftname

Reaction score
Thanks-again.
Looks like that's going to be the way I have to go. That should take care of the video.
Re: audio-what do you think of using the earphone plug (that's my only audio out on the netbook-Samsung N120) as an audio out by using :
Amazon.com: Cables To Go - 40615 - 12ft Velocity 3.5mm Stereo Male to Dual RCA Male Y-Cable (Blue): Electronics
Don't know what to do if that doesn't work.

Many thanks-hope this works as it'll save me a lot of $ for a tv used only weekends at the summer place

Tiburon

Reaction score
If you already have a set of speakers that require that, it would be good. I'd almost wonder if this:

speakers

wouldn't be a better idea.

pftname

Reaction score
OK Tiburon-
Here we go:
-ordered the Platinum for $130-price may go down but I want to get going on this;

-Re: video-Am going to use the vgatotv laptop converter you recommended as it appear that is the best way to go for decent video;

-Re: audio-am going to use the stero male to dual RCA male Y cable based on this from Monsoon:

Dear Customer,

Yes, the Audio Out for Microphones on your Laptop can be utilized as an output from the Laptop to the TV. TV will boost the Audio as it has the Amplifiers to get you a better Audio.

Regards,
Monsoon Support

I already have cables that should work & if not, I can always order one of your other suggestions.

Thanks again for all your invaluable assistance. Hopefully-depending on delivery times- I'll be posting shortly that all is working great.

'Maybe not so lost in Vulkano land anymore'

drum747

Reaction score
I love my Vulkano. If anyone needs the older version of the app that works with GB I have posted the apk over in a Vulkano thread in the Liberty rom section.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums