Sirius XM Android app is here

Graywolfscv

Reaction score
I started using the App today since I manually installed the OTA, and I've been listening for a few hours, with no loops or buffer issues, and I didn't edit anything.

FastKatt

Reaction score
Those of us who have rooted our phones and have been using Froyo for a while have been aware of this problem for a while. It affects Sirius as well as other streaming music apps like Pandora, etc.

The problem has been identified as being caused by a new multimedia decoder in 2.2 called "Stagefright". Someone discovered that if you disable Stagefright, the phone will use the older decoder and the Sirius looping/skipping problems go away.

Unfortunately doing this requires root access, as a system file (build.prop) needs to be modified.

Of course what should happen eventually is either Google fixes Stagefright, or Sirius updates their app. One or the other.

So you guys are definitely right, Sirius is giving you bogus answers. Chances are though, their CSRs simply have not been informed of the true issue yet.

Ok, kids, here is what I did. I did several searches on this forum regarding rooting and what I would need. I'm a noob to rooting so it wasn't easy, having had no interest before. Well, because I am on 2.2, that complicates things a bit. Fortunately, very recently, Easy Root came out with a version that allows you to root 2.2 with a couple of button pushes. Best $0.99 you can spend if you want to root.

Next move was to figure out how to edit the file listed above, build.prop. I went after the free Terminal Emulator first, installed it and that wouldn't run. So I saw that someone recommended Root Explorer. Another awesome purchase and highly recommended for a couple of bucks. Astro wouldn't get to the root files, so this is needed. I went into the /system folder and found the file build.prop. I pushed and held and went into the text editor, after forcing R/W access with a button. I edited the suspect line from TRUE to FALSE, backed out, was prompted to save the file. It did, as well as making a backup copy. I rebooted the phone, just in case, launched Sirius/XM app, and lo and behold, no more buffering issues!

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction on this problem. I'm happy to have the music playing correctly again!
I was able to edit this file with Astro, I'm testing the Sirius|XM app now
Finger Crossed :rockon:

evildroid

Reaction score
quote=Phreaker47;704180]

Finger Crossed :rockon:[/QUOTE]

I was also able to edit the file with Astro. Will start testing and post back shortly. Thanks for the info on easyroot. Best 2 bucks i've spent in a while.

evildroid

Reaction score
quote=Phreaker47;704180]

Finger Crossed :rockon:

I was also able to edit the file with Astro. Will start testing and post back shortly. Thanks for the info on easyroot. Best 2 bucks i've spent in a while.[/QUOTE]
Ok, so Astro claims to save the file upon closing, but doesn't actually save the file. Off to find root explorer.. :(

Jish

Reaction score
I do not have 2.2 yet still on 2.1, nor is my phone rooted but I have been having this problem for a while lately. This morning 60's Channel played To Sir With Love - song played - announcer mentioned Glee version started to play a little bit of it - announcer - next song started to play - a short period into song "data connection error" box popped up - after reacquiring signal To Sir With Love Glee version started playing again and the announcer said all the same stuff he previously said - next song started to play - then back to the Glee version - well this did it 3 more times (I was curious just how many times it would replay) until I changed channels - then went back to the 60's Channel and things were current.

DucksDroid

Reaction score
Same problem here with 2.2 on D1. I just checked the Sirius|XM website and they have a link for help/support www.siriusxm.com/android which has a note about "OS 2.2 'FROYO' update coming soon" [not that word again :icon_eek:] and gives you a box to enter your e-mail address to be notified when it is available.
- Duck

evildroid

Reaction score
it works

Thanks to Booch_21 (and others) I was able to get it to work perfectly. I enjoyed 2 hours of uninterrupted XM yesterday. Booch_21 already laid out the instructions but I'll post a simplified version anyway.

Here's what I did:

1) Purchase and install easyroot (i'm lazy and easyroot is cheap)
2) Root phone
3) Reboot
4) Purchase and install root explorer
5) Use root explorer to edit /system/build.prop
6) Change the line media.stagefright.enable-player=true
to media.stagefright.enable-player=false
7) Reboot
8) Play O and A on XM202
9) Enjoy loop-free explicit comedy.

Thanks for the help Booch_21 and others who contributed to this thread; I wasn't looking forward to going back to 2.1 for a single broken application!

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Thanks to Booch_21 (and others) I was able to get it to work perfectly. I enjoyed 2 hours of uninterrupted XM yesterday. Booch_21 already laid out the instructions but I'll post a simplified version anyway.

Here's what I did:

1) Purchase and install easyroot (i'm lazy and easyroot is cheap)
2) Root phone
3) Reboot
4) Purchase and install root explorer
5) Use root explorer to edit /system/build.prop
6) Change the line media.stagefright.enable-player=true
to media.stagefright.enable-player=false
7) Reboot
8) Play O and A on XM202
9) Enjoy loop-free explicit comedy.

Thanks for the help Booch_21 and others who contributed to this thread; I wasn't looking forward to going back to 2.1 for a single broken application!

This works. Additionally, Google developers have pinpointed the real fix for Stagefright and the code is already out there... so our custom ROM authoring friends can start including it in their updates at any time... this means a true fix that does not force us to disable Stagefright which does other things such as H264 decoding.

pjo1966

Reaction score
I made the changes evildroid and others posted above and tried it out again. I was still getting the looping and buffering issues. I called and cancelled my service and explained in detail why. The CSRs I spoke with both seemed to think this was an issue isolated with me, and I explained that I was not the only one with the same complaints. More people need to call and complain. it's the only way we can hope for a resolution.

liam.

Reaction score
Hey guys I just dropped SiriusXM a huge hate email that I'm going to cancel my subscription because of my Android App not working and then I see this...

SIRIUS|XM on Android

evildroid

Reaction score
Are you sure the changes to the file saved correctly? I initially made the modification without root access and without using root explorer. It appeared to save, then didn't work.