Sim Unlock the Nexus 6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nexus2cee_Nexus-6-SIM-Unlock1.jpg

If you have been paying attention to this forum there have been several discussions about the AT&T (and other carrier's) Nexus 6 being sim locked to their network as well as coming with a carrier boot logo, and a carrier emblem on the back. The boot logo can be removed with root and the carrier emblem can either be scraped off with a credit card or covered up with a skin (ie dbrand). But unlocking the sim is not that easy. At&t, and other carriers realize people can use their device on other carriers so in an effort to keep someone from running off with a $700 phone that they only paid $20 for, they lock the sim so it can not be used anywhere else. And as much as we would like to give the carriers grief for locking the sim, I understand their position and blame the dishonest people out there more than the carrier. With that said you still should be allowed to unlock your device especially if you paid full price for it. So here are the ways you can unlock your AT&T Nexus 6 and use it on other carriers.

1. After paying for the device you are going to have to contact AT&T to have them send you your unlock pin. This will take several days but it will cost you nothing. Each unlock pin is different so do not try and copy someone else's unlock code thinking it is the same for all Nexus 6s, doing so will cause you to hard lock your device. Visit the AT&T "device unlock" site to request a sim unlock. If you run into any issues call AT&T as I was unable to unlock my Nexus 6 through that site (as I bought it on opening day before they updated their system) and had CS create a case number for a service tech to email me my pin.
  2. Another way you can unlock your Nexus 6 is through a company called CellUnlocker.net. These guys are fairly quick about getting you your unlock pin in a matter of hours. And in the invent they are unable to they will refund your purchase. The staff is very supportive and the process is much faster than waiting for the carrier. Please make sure that your device is not already sim unlocked or hard locked before purchasing from CellUnlocker.
Note: If you are looking to use the Nexus 6 on Verizon know you are not going to be able to just walk in and request a sim card as that IMEI is not located in their system. So here are several ways to use the Nexus 6 on Verizon.

1. If you have a line open for an iPhone 6, Moto X, or any other device that uses a nano sim you can pop that sim in your Nexus 6 and it should work.
  2. Open a line for any LTE device and use a nano sim cutter to cut the sim to size so that it will fit in the Nexus 6.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I purchased an AT&T device but could not obtain the unlock code thru AT&T as I did not have an active line of service with them - it could have just been the reps I spoke too but they were not willing to assist with the unlock.

I used cellunlock . net and I received my unlock code in about 8 hours - I think they are getting hit with a lot of requests as my initial email indicated an approximate time of 1-3 hours...they were quick in communication if I asked about updates. It does cost around $25 to get the unlock code from them. However, they do offer options for discount & and you can initially check to see if your device is unlockable before proceeding with payment. And as mentioned above by @pc747 , they did let me know that if they could not find a code, they would refund my payment.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
where are these unlock codes coming from and/or how are the made..? I dont get it...

They are pulled from a database based on your IMEI, manufacturer and cellular provider - not sure how they numbers are determined but each one is unique to that device.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As @smalltowngirl13 stated, the unlock code come straight from the manufacturer. Basically the carrier (or 3rd party company) sends a request to the manufacturer (and in this case Motorola) for the unlock code. The oem verifies the device is in good standings (not black listed) and they send out the unique code. With the Motorola Nexus 6 each device have its own unique code so I could not take STG's code and use it to unlock my nexus 6 (vice verse).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That said, wouldn't one be able to contact the manufacturer themselves for the code and thus save $25?

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That said, wouldn't one be able to contact the manufacturer themselves for the code and thus save $25?

S5 tap'n

Good question, Ill actually dig into that.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ill have to wait until business hours because either this guy is lost or he is unable/unwilling to share any info.

chat_agent.png
Daniel (Listening)
chat_agent.png
Daniel: Hi, my name is Daniel. How may I help you?
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: yes, sorry there was not a selection for my question
chat_agent.png
Daniel: How can i help you Pc747?
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: I bought a motorola nexus 6 full price from At&T. My question is instead of paying a company like cellunlocker $25 to ask you for my imei sim unlock code can I not just go through the manufacturer myself?
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: I have a reciept verifying my purchase. I bought the phone full price because I could not get one from you guys or google because you were sold out. So I bought it to unlock it to use on another carrier
chat_agent.png
Daniel: I see. So what you are trying to do is to unlock your phone?
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: yes
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: trying to get the procedure. because i know both the carrier and cellunlocker get the code from you guys. so can i just cut out the middle man and buy from you guys. and what info you need to make that appen
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: happen
chat_agent.png
Daniel: I understand this could be a hastle for you. but for locked phones it needs to be unlock by the service provider.
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: Ok. So how is cellunlocker able to get the code from you guys and go around the service provider
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747:
chat_hyperlink.png
Cellunlocker.net - 1 Unlock Codes for Network Cell Phone Unlocking
chat_agent.png
Daniel: We don't know sir. because only the service provider knows how to unlock the phones that is locked to them. it's their system.
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: They are unlocking nexus 6 on att almost daily at $25 a pop and they are getting to code from you. I know because I ask and they said they get it from motorola
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: So basically if I want to unlock my phone you are telling me that I have to use a 3rd party service who get the code from you guys. But I personally can not get the code from you guys?
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: Does that sound right to you?
chat_agent.png
Daniel: No sir we dont have the access to unlock phone. and we dont give codes to unlock phone. I dont know why the rep from att told you that they get the codes from us but that's not correct. If you want you can go to that store and call from them so we can speak with the rep. and will tell them what they need to do. because we dont unlock phones.
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: So the to the carrier unlock code from my phone that is unique for my imei does not come through you guys
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: because both AT&T and cellunlocker said it does
chat_enduser_message.png
Pc747: It was why it takes a few hours to a day because they send the info to you guys.
chat_agent.png
Daniel: We don't know why they said they don't unlock phones. We really don't have the access to unlock phones from the provider.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sounds like they are running sine kind of scam and he's not willing to go on record to answer your questions. I always thought these unlock companies selling these codes were shady, this simply proves it. But hey, if you get the code and it works I guess it is what it is.

S5 tap'n

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
This is a good read on the subject of locked / unlocking / etc... FCC - Mobile Wireless Device Unlocking

And under the "Response Time" section - there is this tidbit of info...
  1. Response Time. Within two business days after receiving a request, carriers will unlock eligible mobile wireless devices or initiate a request to the OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] to unlock the eligible device, or provide an explanation of why the device does not qualify for unlocking, or why the carrier reasonably needs additional time to process the request.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

S5 tap'n

While the manufacturer should easily be able to do this, they're not likely to because they wouldn't want to upset carriers. They SIM lock phones at the request of the carrier in the first place, so they're not typically going to circumvent something they've agreed to do for a carrier.

At this point, the AT&T branded model is the only Nexus 6 in the U.S. that's SIM locked. When/If a model sold directly from Verizon hits, at least we know it won't have a locked SIM.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If I purchased my nexus 6 directly from Motorola, isn't it already sim unlocked?