Nexus 6 Has Been Launched By Verizon, However They Still Refuse To Activate The Unlocked Version

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
11032894_770935589668927_1620073360_n.jpg

If you are anything like me then you weren't about to wait several months for Verizon to take their time releasing the Nexus 6. I bought the unlocked version directly from Motorola the day that it came out! As soon as it was confirmed that the Nexus 6 was compatible with the Verizon network, there were also corresponding reports that Verizon would not activate those devices. The only way to activate the unlocked version is to use an existing sim card that has already been activated. If yours is the right size you are good to go, if not you will have to figure out how to cut it down or you could buy a converter to make it larger.

The thought was that once Verizon came out with their own variant of the device they would go ahead and activate the unlocked variants as well. If are able to get your Nexus 6 activated it will show up in Verizon's system as a "Non-VWZdevice". Verizon reps won't be able to help you with changing your plan, give you a sim card, or make any other changes to your account as long as your sim card is outside of a recognized device. You also may not be able to get in on any kind of discounts while you sim is in the unlocked nexus 6.

via AndroidPolice

Reactions: CJM

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
With a Nexus 6 from Motorola, I also wondered if it would show up in Verizon's records after they finally released the device. Didn't know if Motorola would send the IMEI numbers from the sold devices to Verizon.

It's funny though, that I got the nano sim card from the Verizon store here after they couldn't activate it. Called Verizon's customer service and ended up having them activate it for my Galaxy S4, then inserted it in the Nexus 6. It does show up as a "Non-VWZdevice", otherwise, nothing else has changed.

Tonik

Reaction score
Same here except I did it all at a corporate store. No issues at all. I think 99 percent of the problem is most reps have no idea what to do with this phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My Co worker just had vzw give her a nano sim for a droid turbo.. Slapped it in and it worked.. Idk if it shows as non vzw.. I do know that the first two nexus devices she had... Had issues...

boidsonly

Reaction score
The FCC will welcome complaints from affected users who have the unlocked versions. VZW needs to be raked over the coals and this is just one opportunity...