Clearing up a few Nexus 6 concerns

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nexus_6_angles-580-100.jpg

While I wait on the carriers to release the nexus 6 I have been checking various sites and forums and noticed a common thread of questions I would like to clear up.

1. Carriers will try and lock down the bootloader: It is a Nexus.... To allow a carrier to lock down a device and control it would make it no longer a Google controlled device. Once the carriers are able to control updates and software then what's to keep them from slowing up updates in order to make their feature phone look better? By allowing the carriers to have even a bit of control will be galaxy nexus all over again. Google may be allowing the carriers to sell the phone and are even willing to allow carriers to install apps but Google is in complete control and they would not agree to allow carriers to control their product. For one the majority of people that buy nexus phones do it to unlock it. The moment someone buys a nexus from the carriers and "fastboot oem unlock" does not work they will make youtube videos and post articles blowing the whistle and people are not going to buy it through the carriers, which will be counterproductive of what Google is trying to do,
  2. The phone will be locked to one carrier: Hate to repeat myself but "It's a Nexus". There are only two nexus models the US version and the international version. If they were locked to one carrier it would be like the galaxy nexus where we had different models (ie sprint, verizon, gsm or gti9250, gti9250m, and gti9250t). The carriers will be selling the US Nexus 6 and by putting your carrier sim in it will work on their network.
  3. The phone will be too big: OK, you got me on this one. The reality is the phone is huge. If you want to get a feel for how big I recommend holding the iphone 6+ in hand and that will give you an idea what to expect. Shamu is perfect name for this phone and if you are wanting something smaller I suggest check out the forum for other devices that may better fit your style.
If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to ask it here and we will address it.

EDIT: Looks like to use the command "fastboot oem unlock" you will have to first turn the phone on and check the box in developer options which allows you to oem unlock the device.

PSA OEM Unlock On The Nexus 6 And 9 Requires Checking A Box In Developer Options

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Wait the whole US has the same Nexus 6? So it supports CDMA and GSM in one phone?

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Wait the whole US has the same Nexus 6? So it supports CDMA and GSM in one phone?

Yes the phone will have all bands for every carrier...

M8 tap'd

Precisely, USA & Int'l versions are tailored for LTE access due to Qualcomm 805 Snapdragon Chipset & various LTE bands abroad. This device will work just about anywhere, most LTE devices nowadays are considered global-ready, regardless of the baseline radio should LTE not be supported. CDMA & GSM are necessary in certain areas of Europe where infrastructure difficulties make it impractical or impossible for LTE access. Just my 2 cents, could be wrong. See below link.

The Nexus 6 Will Come In Two Versions One For The Americas And One For Everywhere Else mdash Here Are All The Supported Bands

boidsonly

Reaction score
Given all the shortcomings that one has to/can overlook on the Nexus line, such as non-removable battery/no SD card, it is almost impossible to look past the no 64 bit OS-this is a dead end device. I was all for this device until that was exposed. Sorry, but I can't pay $650 for a 32 bit phone when all the other flagship phones are 64 bit or are going that way.
Unfortunately this smacks of what M$ has done to their various WinPhone users by abandoning them because the "OS" would not support the newest "update", etc. I see the same thing coming with this phone...
This is really disappointing to me since I wanted to buy this phone-but why should I give up my rooted Note3 now?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you consider non-removable battery/no SD card as shortcomings, you are limiting your choices on phones right off the bat. IE. Samsung Note 4, which is full retail of $825 and still no 64-bit. I feel like it is too early in the game to not consider phones because they don't have a 64-bit chip, nothing in the Android world is taking advantage of them yet, fully.

Yes, Android L will support 64-bit chips, but apps, games, and the like have not been tweaked to show any improved performance with them. Nor will they until it becomes the norm, which is probably a year or more away. Should you give up your Note 3? Not if you are happy with it.

For me, after having the Nexus 5, I could never get another non-Nexus phone. I don't want to have to root/ROM a phone to get it the way I want. I would rather it come that way out of the box. I don't even have half of my 32GB Nexus 5 filled up, a SD card would be useless to me.

At this point, I have come to terms with non-removable batteries, I never keep these things more than a year anyway, if something goes wrong in that year, they will replace it. I had an extra battery with my GNote 3, never used it, could have saved $50+. All about preference I suppose.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will Google replace the screen if cracked?
Don't know I'll ask them, but I'm personally buying through my carrier with the insurance just in case.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with Syd. It's still going to be a couple years until 64bit technology will truly be relevant on today's smartphones. Being that most of us upgrade between the one and two year mark, by the time you upgrade in a couple years, 64bit tech will have finally caught up and actually be useful in real world smartphone usage.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Given all the shortcomings that one has to/can overlook on the Nexus line, such as non-removable battery/no SD card, it is almost impossible to look past the no 64 bit OS-this is a dead end device. I was all for this device until that was exposed. Sorry, but I can't pay $650 for a 32 bit phone when all the other flagship phones are 64 bit or are going that way.
Unfortunately this smacks of what M$ has done to their various WinPhone users by abandoning them because the "OS" would not support the newest "update", etc. I see the same thing coming with this phone...
This is really disappointing to me since I wanted to buy this phone-but why should I give up my rooted Note3 now?
Other than hardcore gaming where is it you need 64 bit?

Now for the nexus player I want that to be 64 bit but really do not need it on my phone as the current set up handles fine.
With that said, as a consumer you have the right to choose what features are the most important to you and if 64 bit is the thing then I suggest waiting until next year to buy a phone.

Sdcard, agree but I'm willing to settle for 64gb version.

Battery: turbo charger tech, large battery, and my battery pack will suffice plus we are seeing more manufacturers go non removable (wired in) batteries. Helps with water and dust protection as the back covers have gaskets and I'm thinking they worried the consumer could either damage the gaskets removing the back cover or not install it correctly resulting in conflict over warranties.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Edited the op, looks like you have to do one more step other than "fastboot oem unlock" to unlock the device.

Thoughts?

bigdad63

Reaction score
Only 64gb
No SD card
$700!?!?
32bit
I also saw a head to head
camera/video shootout with the iPone 6+ and the results weren't pretty.

Looks like I might be stuck with my Note 3.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Only 64gb
No SD card
$700!?!?
32bit
I also saw a head to head
camera/video shootout with the iPone 6+ and the results weren't pretty.

Looks like I might be stuck with my Note 3.

I hate that I am about to sound like a nexus apologist.... but had to respond.

You right, compared to the iphone 6 the nexus 6 camera does not measure up in fact a lot of android phone cameras fail to measure up to the iphone. Apple may not can handle keeping their large phones from bending but they know how to make a camera. From the photos I have seen of the Nexus 6 I am satisfied. Low light shots could be better but overall much better than I expected.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice video comparison of size so those wanting to get a feel of how big shamu really is can see it compared to other phones. Thanks Kellen.

By the way Im going to sound like a hater but as much as I love and appreciate these videos a side of me hate that it is not in my hands. But kudos to all of you out there from Droid-life, Android Central, Phandroid, Android Police, MKBHD, Android Authority, The Verge, and any one who make quality videos of these phones so users get an idea what they are about to spend their hard earned on. As much as I want to grab it asap I appreciate this period where review units are out so reviewers and developers prepare us for what to expect out of theses devices.