Signal Strength

carpenter

Reaction score
What if you just copare signal level in the store putting two devices side to side?

mattjenn

Reaction score
Yes I've had droid bionic droid 4 and galaxy nexus now G2. G2 is way better then galaxy nexus and shows same signal strength as Motorola phones however phone calls seem to be much clearer on my G2 then any Motorola phone I've ever owned

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The closest Verizon store to me is quite far away so if I go it's to purchase the phone, but that is a good idea while I'm there.

Yes I've had droid bionic droid 4 and galaxy nexus now G2. G2 is way better then galaxy nexus and shows same signal strength as Motorola phones however phone calls seem to be much clearer on my G2 then any Motorola phone I've ever owned

THIS is what I like to hear.

heffzilla

Reaction score
I had the g2 next to my maxx hd and the g2 was -10 to- 11 dBm better

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

yzonker

Reaction score
I came from an original Razr. Although I can't compare side by side, so far the G2 is working every bit as well at my desk at work which is a low signal area (3G is -100db or worse most of the time). I still typically get 500-1000 down on a speed test.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
So everything on this phone seems pretty good, but I have to say that my LG G2 SMOKES the signal strength of the Turbo, which is really disappointing since that's supposed to be Moto's gig. Doesn't hold 4G nearly as well either. There weren't too many places I would go, mostly big buildings where I didn't keep service. Just sitting in my house I'm 9% without service so far since 8AM.

:(

Anyone else having issues in fringe areas?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I live in a fringe area so my ability to get and hold a signal was always a higher priority than how strong my 4G signal was. Motorola devices in general give me better reception that any other device. And when I am at home I am on wifi so it really is moot how good 4G is. The G2 always ran a close second to Motorola for me. Samsung forget it.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
That is concerning indeed,,, the Real reason I usually buy Motorolas and put up with the somewhat dated appearance (vs Samsung and Apple) IS the Radio.
IF it isn't a Top performer reception wise (phone/Nav) then 14 days will be an important window.
I know with Fox it's Battery, me its Reception.

I really don't get Why someone doesn't come out with the Monster of ALL Phones.
Camera, Reception, Build, Durability, EVERYTHING.
I Know Many would pay almost anything for the Killer of ALL Phones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So everything on this phone seems pretty good, but I have to say that my LG G2 SMOKES the signal strength of the Turbo, which is really disappointing since that's supposed to be Moto's gig. Doesn't hold 4G nearly as well either. There weren't too many places I would go, mostly big buildings where I didn't keep service. Just sitting in my house I'm 9% without service so far since 8AM.

:(

Anyone else having issues in fringe areas?
I'm certainly not pleased with that report but I have a suspicion that one of two things could be a player here. First, you may just have a defective phone. It's not uncommon for first runs of these phones to have manufacturing problems and various devices inside may not be seated properly such as the antenna cable connector. Any slight miss alignment of the antenna connection internally could result in an electrical signal break but with RF (radio frequency), transmission you don't need to have a direct electrical contact in order for the signal to transmit through the cable and out the antenna. Close proximity is enough to allow the signal to jump, but there is considerable loss of signal level across that dead space jump.

The second possibility is that there is some software tweaking that needs to be done in order to get this radio to perform the way it should. In that case, I wouldn't be surprised to see an update rolling out in the near future as more and more people like you voice their concerns with the lower signal levels and the loss or dropping off 4G.

I'm still a huge advocate of Motorola radio frequency transmitters and receivers & I have every bit of faith that this phone will live up to those expectations. I wouldn't stand for a poor-performing Motorola radio. If your LG was that much better than the Motorola, and if you still have your LG, I would take both phones right into a phone center store and let them see the difference. I'm sure that with their familiarity they would know to expect the Motorola to have the better signal and that would be enough to indicate a possible flawed phone.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That is concerning indeed,,, the Real reason I usually buy Motorolas and put up with the somewhat dated appearance (vs Samsung and Apple) IS the Radio.
IF it isn't a Top performer reception wise (phone/Nav) then 14 days will be an important window.
I know with Fox it's Battery, me its Reception.

I really don't get Why someone doesn't come out with the Monster of ALL Phones.
Camera, Reception, Build, Durability, EVERYTHING.
I Know Many would pay almost anything for the Killer of ALL Phones.

As I said my reply above, I wouldn't take the report of 1 valued and trusted member (Hugh Jass) to be an example of what to expect across the board. No insult intended to that member of course. Everybody has the possibility receiving a phone that's defective and unfortunately it may be the case with him. Actually that's what I'm hoping for. Replacing the phone maybe the fix that makes him a very happy camper and I hope that's what the results will be.

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Very true. I too will be watching signal strength closely. I will say this about my experiences in SS. I have literally been in the store holding two(2) phones and seen the SS jump around. Sometimes one being better than the other and then reversing. It is about long term performance which I suppose 14 days qualifies.
As Fox correctly points out, there may be answers in a variety of directions.
I have always found Motorola to have the best reception but sometimes after a tweek or two.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
My purpose of this thread was to see more about others experience than my own, there's always exception to the rule.

As far as the service in my home goes I think Verizon has a network booster that they provide for free, so I don't fear that at all, but if it's like that universally I can see it becoming an issue for travel.

Serpico

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ANDRAC.co
I'd agree, I have the Turbo, an S5, a MOTO X (1st gen) and they Turbo shows considerably less 4G and WiFi signal than the other two.

At work, which is a 12 story building, The S5 and MOTO X maintain a sliver of 4G, while the Turbo reverts to 3G.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, it is entirely possible that a SW update will correct this. It is a 1st gen released phone.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Walking around my house with Both my MaxxHD and Turbo ON

Turbo is on 3G and Maxx is on 4G. Has not varied, both 2 bars.