Razr/Razr Maxx Signal Strengths

jaybogg

Reaction score
Since I have been following these forums for a couple of months I have seen a lot of threads about signal strengths and some postings of what people have on their phones. I thought it would be interesting if we posted our results in one thread. Its easy to do.
From the home screen:

1. Press "Menu" hard key
2. Select "System Settings"
3. At the bottom of the first section "Wireless and Networks", Select "More..."
4. Select "Mobile Networks"
5. Halfway down, Under "Help", Select "Network type and strength"
6. Report your reading IE. 4G= -100dbm

If you are willing to divulge your location, OS, and 1G/3G signal strengths (I'm using 4G LTE OnOff app for 1G/3G strength), this info would also be useful for others in your area to compare to.

Here's Mine:

4G= -102dbm (3 bars)
3G= -98dbm (3 bars)
1G= -87dbm (3 bars)

Note: The more negative the number, the weaker the signal is. Example: -80 dbm is a stronger signal than -100 dbm.

I showed you mine, now show me yours!!:icon_ devil:

Here's the first 5 data point (kinda skimpy, but it's all that's been reported!!)

View attachment 215 Leak.pdf

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Haven't you noticed better reception with the 215 leak??? I just switched to it yesterday and I've noticed a huge improvement over 211, both battery and signal... so far I haven't had the annoying 4g drop...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Oh.. groves tx, 215 leak, 4g -105dbm 3 bars..

Haven't checked the others :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
.215 Leak
4G -85dBm
3G -89dBm
1x -87dBm

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
Haven't you noticed better reception with the 215 leak??? I just switched to it yesterday and I've noticed a huge improvement over 211, both battery and signal... so far I haven't had the annoying 4g drop...

The actual signal strength is about the same but it shows more bars. Less 4G drops, jury still out on battery as I am not a heavy user when at home (use PC). I do use the speakerphone almost exclusively at home, so when I have a heavy call day I will have a better idea. Still PO'd that the volume hard keys only have 4 levels while in speakerphone mode though! 215 didn't fix that. (Get clipping at full volume):mad:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Central NY
1x- .91dBm (2 bars)
3x- .93dBm (2 bars)

live in boonies so no 4g here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
@ Sydman/TisMyDroid: No "Bars" in you area? That must make life dull!!:biggrin:jk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Funny, I get about 2 bars. I always use wifi at home, though. When I have to go past home, I don't have data drops that I notice. And the 3g does not seem to be real slow. When in the city on 4g, I don't ever seem to have any problems keeping a signal either.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
@ Sydman/TisMyDroid: No "Bars" in you area? That must make life dull!!:biggrin:jk

Haha sorry, at work and only cared just enough to post the numbers :)

1x and 3G showing 4 bars.
4G showing 5 bars.

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
Haha sorry, at work and only cared just enough to post the numbers :)

1x and 3G showing 4 bars.
4G showing 5 bars.

Thx. I was truly interested in your "bars" as you have the strongest signal strengths thus far. If we get enough responses, I hope we can extrapolate bar/dbm guestimates and possibly even see if there is a difference between the OTA .211 and the .215 leak. I get bored sometimes and with enough replies I will probably apply numbers to excel, graph it, and see if anything stands out. Gotta have the data though!! Thx, again!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Very cool! I think it should be interesting. It would be especially interesting if we had data from GB too but that would be pretty slim finding ppl still on GB.

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
Very cool! I think it should be interesting. It would be especially interesting if we had data from GB too but that would be pretty slim finding ppl still on GB.

If my feeble mind recalls right, it was something like every one used to GB, ICS came out and complaints about both signal strength and bars, .215 users reported better reception and bars. Probably got it wrong as it has been over 24 hrs and that's about all my "memory warranty" guarantees anymore!:biggrin:

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
On my initial post I inserted a pdf graph of the 5 data points I have received thus far. I think MattyP has done his job too well as everyone reporting is on the .215 leak:biggrin: Still not near enough data to extrapolate any findings other than I noticed the bars vs signal strengths vary greatly. 3 bars has varied from -77 to -105 in 3G and 4G respectively. One 3G signal was -77 with 3 bars, another 3G signal was -85 with 4 bars. This means the weaker signal (-85) showed more bars than the stronger signal.

Here's the graph so far, pretty skimpy on the data though...Since I did it in excel, my choices were .pdf and .doc, I went with pdf. If more data comes in, I will update data on the initial post to this thread.

Attachments

• 215 Leak.pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 262

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nashville

software 4.1.1 jb

2 bars of 4g: -108 asu 32
2 bars of 3g: -93 dBm 2 asu