Anyone have a previous version of the Maxx?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I ask because it seems as though the signal strength on my Maxx is less than it was on my Maxx HD and Razr Maxx. Wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When you say previous version of the MAXX do you mean such as the MAXX HD or the RAZR MAXX?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have both.. I get a better signal with the maxx, than I did with the RAZR maxx or maxx HD.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I have both.. I get a better signal with the maxx, than I did with the RAZR maxx or maxx HD.

Same here

I am in Boston where Verizon has recently started using Band 4 or AWS so that might make a difference.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
How are you judging your signal strength? By the bars??

I am judging it by the battery. When I click on the widget it takes me into what is using my battery, and when I click on the graph, this is the kind of results I see. I had a lot more green indications on my Maxx HD
ugune5u6.jpg

Sent from my Droid Maxx

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, Jackie... The green is an indication of what the signal strength was and often directly corresponds to the battery consumption as well... Lower signal levels use more battery. As for why the MAXX is showing less green than your earlier RAZR or RAZR HD, that I can't say for sure. The only way to do true comparisons regarding indicated signal levels between multiple devices is to use the phones in exactly the same location, and during identical weather.

The best way is side by side for comparisons. However signal level isn't always the best indication of signal quality. A lower signal level that is more finely tuned and has less distortion or interference will field better data transference rates since the distortion and interference will cause packet loss. This will in turn make it necessary for re-transmission of those packets thereby showing down actual throughput.

Also, signal level is relative from radio to radio. Variations in the signal levels can be significant between identical examples of the same equipment. Variations in components' specs, assembly variances, tuning variances can all contribute to signal level differences however the true test is a side by side test of actual performance and battery consumption. Again a clean signal that is lower in db wool ultimately yield better data quantity and throughput.

Last edited:

xxwabbit

Reaction score
My experience has been the same between Razr maxx and droid maxx (signal wise and maybe even battery usage)...very happy too!:icon_ banana:

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
And now I'm having issues with wifi staying connected. It will initially be blue and then randomly go grey. I then have to turn it off and on again and an hour later do the same. This just started yesterday. It has occurred on two different routers, one here in my home and the other on the g2 at work. I have rebooted.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Are you still on the Jelly Bean OS?

kevins686

Reaction score
I had a RAZR Maxx before this, and while I haven't noticed any difference in signal strength, I do believe the Bluetooth connectivity is stronger with this phone. I bought a new car (Honda), and the Bluetooth connection with the car never seems to drop like it did with my RAZR. And if I leave the phone in the house and drive down the street, I get a couple hundred feet before the connection is lost. Not necessarily what you were looking for, but I do find it interesting!

huskur

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you, or not, but may be worth a try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mcstealthapps.freshnetwork

Can anyone explain how this app works? I looked at the app on the play store and figured it to be a gimmick. At work (in a large warehouse with 12 inch concrete walls and a metal roof) where I am now my 4G is marginal. I would normally get 7 to 8 MBPS download speed. Acceptable. I downloaded the app and ran it and I have gone from 1 to 2 bars to 3 to 4 bars and my speed is now from 12 to 16 MBPS. From an app? I can't almost believe it. I ran many test on both "speedtest" app and the "FCC speedtest" app.