Should I factory reset when OTA ICS comes out?

guitarskoota

Reaction score
I am assuming Razr owners would know this answer already, but is it pretty much required to do a factory reset when upgrading to ICS? I just factory wiped my phone and rather than spending hours getting everything back on there and have to do it again in 2-3 weeks when OTA comes out, I figured maybe I'd just put the bare essentials on there and wait til it comes out. If it isn't really needed, then I will start loading up my phone now.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You shouldn't have too, but its all about personal preference. After ics, a lot of razr users have had to do FDR's. Hopefully with the Bionic, moto will have a better idea of what needs to be done and get it right, so bionics will have an easier time of it :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i agree with tis i always do FDR before any big updates.. never hurts to start with a clean slate..

nateohio

Reaction score
Starting with a totally clean slate is the only way to go. Especially when jumping to an entirely different OS.

Though its not required

dautley

Reaction score
I've had problems when restoring system data to the ICS builds. A Factory Data Reset is a good idea, especially when going from Gingerbread to ICS I think.

josh1980

Reaction score
Personally, I will be doing a factory reset after ICS OTA comes out. I want a good experience with ICS and I'd prefer to avoid the possibility of some app screwing it up and forcing me to do a reset later after I get frustrated with it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Truth be told, a lot of razr/ maxx users did FDR's right before ics, and it made no difference for some, for some it did. Who knows why.

Throughout the first week, all was relatively smooth for some, but others had big problems from the moment they accepted the ota. Everything from gallery issues to people not being able to accept the ota even though they hadn't ever rooted or anything else.

Towards the middle of the push, with all of the failed ota's, people had to start doing FDR's just to get the ota to be successful. Moto made an adjustment and got things straightened out again. But it just goes to show that anything can happen. Clean slate or not :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also something to add, for anyone who might be signed up for the feedback network, you don't want to an fdr after you get the invite, for some reason it prevents you from receiving the ota correctly. So I've heard :rolleyes:

Sculpin

Reaction score
I am not sure if FDR was required. After come customers complained about ICS bugs after installation, it was recommended to clean the cache partition only. Here is the article that I saw and did as instructed.

How to Fix Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR
MAXX Ice Cream Sandwich Issues

Yep, those steps worked........only partially. Right through step 4, but holding down the power button and the volume up button simultaneously does not get me to the "wipe cache now" selection or anywhere beyond. That ICS forced update on July 5th was horrible for my use of the RAZR.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yep, those steps worked........only partially. Right through step 4, but holding down the power button and the volume up button simultaneously does not get me to the "wipe cache now" selection or anywhere beyond. That ICS forced update on July 5th was horrible for my use of the RAZR.

I'm gathering that the Razr would be the same as the Bionic when trying to boot into stock recovery..... that being said you need to hold the volumes up 'and' down along with the power button altogether in order to boot into the stock recovery menu, then press volume down to get to the 'recovery' option on that menu, then selecting 'up' volume gets you to the ICS Android bot with an exclamation mark...at that point you press volumes up 'and' down together to boot into the actual stock reciovery..... there you will find the 'Wipe Cache' option..

And frankly, wiping cache on that menu should take care of all things ratyher than doing a full factory wipe...jmho

Sculpin

Reaction score
I'm gathering that the Razr would be the same as the Bionic when trying to boot into stock recovery..... that being said you need to hold the volumes up 'and' down along with the power button altogether in order to boot into the stock recovery menu, then press volume down to get to the 'recovery' option on that menu, then selecting 'up' volume gets you to the ICS Android bot with an exclamation mark...at that point you press volumes up 'and' down together to boot into the actual stock reciovery..... there you will find the 'Wipe Cache' option..

And frankly, wiping cache on that menu should take care of all things ratyher than doing a full factory wipe...jmho

Well, sorry for the delayed response. I did finally manage to wipe the cache, to no avail. My number one problem is that my e-mail account will not check for new messages every five minutes as set up. In fact, it may go two or three hours without checking and when I realize it and ask it to check for messages, it simply "loops" as though it is checking for messages. However, it never stops checking nor does it download any messages. I have to power off the device and wait a few minutes before powering it back on. Then, it might download messages from the last half-hour or so, but there's oftentimes numerous messages that I've missed.

The fine folks at Verizon claim it's an issue with my Time Warner RoadRunner e-mail account. Granted, it rarely does the above cited maneuvers with my Gmail account, but TW claims it's a Verizon smokescreen for vast bugginess in the ICS software. Verizon said there was nothing I could do until a new software patch was issued by Motorola.

I'm not a sheep to Apple anything, but the I-phone 5 is beginning to look attractive.