Should I consider dumping my Maxx for an S3¿

nomadicnut

Reaction score
I'm happy with my RAZR Maxx for sure but would consider the S3 today if it was justifiable.

Expense aside, why should I consider the change?

Beka27

Reaction score
Some threads are saying that the Razr (and Moto in general) has better 4G radios, so that would be a point against the S3. For many tho (like me), coming from a 3G phone to a 4G S3, is justification enough, but IDK if it's worth upgrading 4G to 4G. Battery life, allegedly, is also a big point against the S3. Again, I've never had a Razr Maxx, so can't compare.

If I were you, I would be exploring what the Razr can do, maybe throw a JB rom on, and skip the S3 for the next generation of phones.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I think the GS3 is a sidegrade. There are some improvements as with any move from Motorola to Samsung, screen, camera, development community and such.

But I don't think its worth the sacrifice of radios and battery life, at least in my case because of how I use my phone. I need perfect hand-offs and the ability to use my phone however I want all day with no risk of running out of battery.

A plethora of phones are probably going to hit in the fall. And I think it would be wise to wait and if none of those interest you, you could always get the GS3 at a discount at that time.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the GS3 is a sidegrade. There are some improvements as with any move from Motorola to Samsung, screen, camera, development community and such.

But I don't think its worth the sacrifice of radios and battery life, at least in my case because of how I use my phone. I need perfect hand-offs and the ability to use my phone however I want all day with no risk of running out of battery.

A plethora of phones are probably going to hit in the fall. And I think it would be wise to wait and if none of those interest you, you could always get the GS3 at a discount at that time.

+1 - my thoughts exactly until I read this post. S3 is one awesome device, but I don't know if its enough of an upgrade to switch from a Maxx.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Noooooo!!!!

Had the Maxx since Feburary and love it. Got the SIII to lock in my unlimited and to also try it out. Doesn't compare to the Maxx. Reception is nowhere near as good and battery life is about 1/4 of the Maxx. Motorola just has much better radios and build quality. There was nothing about the SIII that compelled me to sell the Maxx and keep it.

You are obviously happy with the Maxx. So just enjoy it.

OP
nomadicnut

nomadicnut

Reaction score
Garemlin said:
Noooooo!!!!

Had the Maxx since Feburary and love it. Got the SIII to lock in my unlimited and to also try it out. Doesn't compare to the Maxx. Reception is nowhere near as good and battery life is about 1/4 of the Maxx. Motorola just has much better radios and build quality. There was nothing about the SIII that compelled me to sell the Maxx and keep it.

You are obviously happy with the Maxx. So just enjoy it.

Valid points guys thanks for your help.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I too had the sg3 and I am now waiting for the razr maxx hd. But each his own. Try it out yourself.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've had a MAXX for several months. Best phone I've ever owned. But since I have an addiction to new phones, I now have a S3. It's quickly reaching the heights that the MAXX did in my book, and it may very well surpass it.

Here's what I see as the pros and cons of switching from the MAXX to the S3:

Pros

- Larger screen with a higher resolution
- 2GB of RAM - With the way Android manages processes and apps, I'm not sure how big of a difference this will make now, but it definitely won't hinder anything.
- Much better camera - This is huge for me, but not for everyone.
- Removable battery - Nice for those times when you have a spare battery and no time/ability to plug into a charger.
- More accessories - All versions have exactly the same dimensions, so accessories for the S3 are universal.
- Some Touch Whiz features can be useful.
- Feels better in hand to me. The curved edges, and overall size, feel much better in hand to me than the boxiness of the MAXX. This is 100% personal preference though.

Cons

- Smaller battery (at least it's removable though).
- Slightly worse reception in my experience. All of Samsung's CDMA/LTE smartphones that I've owned have all had noticeably poorer reception compared to Motorola devices. The reception on the S3 is much better than previous devices, but it's still not quite up to Motorola's level, or even HTC's level. Definitely a major consideration if you are areas with weak signal often. It will impact not only your ability to send/receive calls and use mobile data, but also your battery life. There's always a chance Samsung could continue to fine tune it however.
- Touch Whiz - This is really personal preference here, but I don't like Touch Whiz, plain and simple. There are some nice additions here and there, but overall, I strongly dislike the UI. The UI that Motorola uses, especially on ICS, is much nicer and far less intrusive. A custom launcher can remedy almost all of this, and root (along with the now unlockable bootloader) can get rid of the rest.
- Inferior build quality - Even though they feel cheap, I think the S3 is built pretty well. It's just not the resilient tank that the MAXX is.

For many people, the battery life and reception of the MAXX alone are enough to wipe out any advantages the S3 has. But the slightly faster specs, better camera, and large screen are great on the S3. I think of the two like this - the MAXX is the well built, all around reliable high-end sedan while the S3 is the flashier new sports car on the market. Which one is better for any given individual depends entirely on that individuals needs and wants.

Last edited:

nikkid

Reaction score
Thanks for all that information. I have the Razr Maxx and today is the last day that I can return it. I have been debating switching to the S3 or keep the Maxx. I think I will keep them Maxx???? Does that sound like a good idea???

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks for all that information. I have the Razr Maxx and today is the last day that I can return it. I have been debating switching to the S3 or keep the Maxx. I think I will keep them Maxx???? Does that sound like a good idea???

That's entirely up to you. Each device has its advantages and disadvantages. I'd go with the one that you feel suits your needs the best. If you need rock solid reception and battery life, and like a UI that's closer to stick ICS, the MAXX is probably the better bet. If you value the camera, a larger screen, a small bump up in speed, and more accessories, the S3 would probably be worth it.

Mule65

Reaction score

I'd stick with the Maxx for the solid build, battery and radios. It seems Samsung radios still aren't as strong as Motorola.

OP
nomadicnut

nomadicnut

Reaction score
Mule65 said:
I'd stick with the Maxx for the solid build, battery and radios. It seems Samsung radios still aren't as strong as Motorola.

I agree 100%. Seems obvious the battery can't be beat and by all means connectivity, aka reception, is paramount. Sticking with the RAZR Maxx.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I had the Maxx for a couple months and switched to the S3. Could not be happier with my choice! The Maxx is a solid phone and built really well but I just hated the design of the phone itself. I did not like the boxey square feel. The battery in the Maxx is of course better than the S3 but I get a full day out of the S3 with modertate-heavy use so I have no complaints!!! The design and camera are far superior on the S3 as well. Both are solid phones so you cant go wrong either way!

woelda3000

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
That's entirely up to you. Each device has its advantages and disadvantages. I'd go with the one that you feel suits your needs the best. If you need rock solid reception and battery life, and like a UI that's closer to stick ICS, the MAXX is probably the better bet. If you value the camera, a larger screen, a small bump up in speed, and more accessories, the S3 would probably be worth

all I've ever had has been motorola phones. It's a definite adjustment. I've had no experience with a razor maxx. Space

Last edited by a moderator: