Setting Up Gmail

mctopher

Reaction score
I'm new to Droid, having just moved over from Blackberry. I can't seem to get gmail to work on my phone. I was surprised how quick and easy it was to link my google account to the phone (I think I'll like not having to worry about the google sync from the old phone). Contacts and calendar came over with no problem, but email is nowhere to be found. I also tried going to My Account and adding an email account using gmail and the advanced settings listed on the Motorola website (see link below) but nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated (I already spent two hours in the Verizon store to no avail... mine was the first droid pro they had seen). Link to Motorola Gmail Instructions: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57906/p_country_code/US

kilofox

Reaction score
I think google is having issues today with Gmail... my Gmail is not syncing since this late morning.

I am on a Droid Incredible. Its not your phone... its google.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is to add a second email acct.
Do you not have a "gmail" icon on your Pro?

OP
M

mctopher

Reaction score
I have the lower case "g" against the black background, that's the one that it walked me through setup originally. When I clock on the "Messaging" icon I see the universal inbox, text messaging and my corporate email. Under My Accounts I have the Phone (backup assistant), Corporate emaiol, and then the google account (lower case g). This is where I attempted to add an account for email using the gmail info and have had no luck.

jimbo11mcm

Reaction score
Email account on Pro

Here's how I set up the email account, with notifications, for my wife's pro.( This is different from a straight Gmail account. I needed this because my wife's email comes through a server that she has to log onto to get into her email, which is a "mail.google.com account) Go to Settings, Accounts and Add an account. Select the Email icon. When the Enter your existing account screen comes up, enter the information. Deselect automatically configure account. You will get a screen with General Settings, Incoming server, Outgoing server and other.

General settings- I just left what defaulted in there. It's not that important

Incoming server-When you select it, you have the choice of IMAP or POP. I used IMAP because that is what she is using in her google corporate email. If the account you are starting is POP, then select that. For IMAP and her google mail, here are the settings:

server: imap.gmail.com ( I guess for POP it would be POP.gmail.com or maybe POP3.gmail.com)
port:993
user name:......@......
password:.....
I selected secure connection and did not select verify certificate

Outgoing server:

server: SMTP.GMAIL.COM
port: 465
user:[email protected] or whatever
Password:.....
secured connection checked.

I found these instructions on the Google Mail help site, under the ANDROID selection. Once you are configured you can open the email and go to Settings and set some notifications. The only ones you can set are vibrate and a ringtone, which occurs only once, but you can select a silent ringtone. It flashes a green LED for emails.

It would be nice to have a continuing notification for emails, somewhat similar to the Blackberry Alerts on the BB, but at the current time there aren't any android apps that do that correctly.

OP
M

mctopher

Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong - I found a gmail envelope icon and that had my email in it (although currently is says "No Connection", so I think that's the error noted up above). Is this how it's supposed to work? I was expecting this to show up in messaging, not independent. Similar to Blackberry where you have all email accounts, sms and missed / received phone calls all in one place. Now my question is 1. Is this how it's supposed to work (segmented), and 2. Is there a way to aggregate everything so I look in one place to see everything?

OP
M

mctopher

Reaction score
That worked!! By gmail had been setup for IMAP forever ago and I was following the POP3 instructions. Changing to IMAP as you noted above worked perfect, and then you also pointed out the notification option too. Thank you so much!

jimbo11mcm

Reaction score
Glad to help!!!

I've been helped by a lot of others on this forum. Nice to contribute.