Server into gaming computer

666ogre666

Reaction score
Anyone know how hard it would be to turn a Dell Poweredge SC1430 server into a gaming comp? It has two Intel Xeon 5130 processors and 8 gigs of ram along with 4 TB's of HD space. I think the only thing I would need to do would be get a compatible motherboard with a PCI-E slot for a graphics card and it would be a pretty powerful comp. My question is could I do that and if so would it be worth it. The reason I ask is that my dad got two servers for his wine store that also has an online component and now one of them is going unused so I could potentially buy it off him for cheapish.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My Dell server can hardly be used as a desktop PC so it might be a stretch for it to be a gaming rig.

I have an older 600SC though.

OP
666ogre666

666ogre666

Reaction score
Yea this one is about a year old and still in good condition. Im not looking for something crazy but i feel like the specs of that comp with a good graphics card would make it a pretty capable gaming machine.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
During my short lunch hour I've discovered that turning that into any type of actual gaming rig would be next to impossible.

The chips are only built for server boards; I found one workstation board (single slot) and it had an PCI-X16 slot but only one processor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131725

All the other compatible boards only have x8 or x4 slots.

Good luck with it!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That was my problem. No AGP slot. Hell it doesn't even have USB ports on the front. I can put 8 HD's in it though. :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was my problem. No AGP slot. Hell it doesn't even have USB ports on the front. I can put 8 HD's in it though. :)

In RAID 5. Stripe+mirror FTW!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk