Looking for a new laptop

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Alright so Christmas is coming and I'm looking to buy myself a new programming laptop as my Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 is about 3 years old now. Things still a beast but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Price range is under $1000-1500

Few things I want for sure
i7 Processor quad core would like to be be around 2.2ghz or higher
6gbs or RAM or more looking for 8gbs mainly but i guess i can always download more here :icon_ lala: ha jk :)
Graphics card doesn't matter to me i don't want anything fancy as i don't play games at all and that's just gonna drive the price up so crap here is fine

Things i also like (not deal breakers though)
I like all that ricer crap unfortunately ha i like lights and what not :) like i like the style of alienware but refuse to get one of those
Loud good quality speakers would be nice too
Ubuntu installed on it as Windows will also drive the price up a bit

What i'm working with so far
So far I like these two and the system76 is winning at the moment (both lack the ricer crap i like ha)
Ubuntu Laptops - Pangolin Performance
Newegg.com - MSI X460-004US Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 14" 6GB Memory 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 3000

Anyone else got any laptops they really like they just got, or would suggest getting. Just looking for input on what you guys really like been shopping like crazy lately ha.

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
honestly i was in the same boat looking for a compiling/coding machine and i ended up with a macbook pro as it runs OSX, Windows, and linux with ease.

this is the one i ended up with you really cant beat it for under 1200 bucks. not to mention its one of the best looking laptops on the market....

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.7GHz dual-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No way would I ever get a Mac, mac is whack ha and that's only dual core my dual core computer now is starting to struggle with boot manager occasionally but I personally am against a mac anything else you look at?

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I also looked at the HP envy machines but those are just overpriced HP pavilions.

Yea personally not a big fan of the hp's either I think I might have found the perfect machine though I'll post a link when I get to my laptop

OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Alright well here's were we are now looking at this bad boy :)

FORCE PBL21 - Xotic PC

Going to get the following
15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM, 2.4-3.5GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Memory (2x4GB SODIMMS)
500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)

Everything else kept the same so final price will be $1220.26 thing will be a beast can't wait till christmas ha

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Why is i7 your only choice, something against a hexcore AMD?

*edit*
Your talking laptop only so disregard. i7 is the way to go, although just as expensive as they are fast.

Last edited:
OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why is i7 your only choice, something against a hexcore AMD?

*edit*
Your talking laptop only so disregard. i7 is the way to go, although just as expensive as they are fast.

Ha yea and I'm not a big fan of the amds at all but yea just looking to get myself something stupid ridiculous since eclipse freezes my computer up occasionally and I've had my current comp 3 years just thinking it's time for an upgrade

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ha yea and I'm not a big fan of the amds at all but yea just looking to get myself something stupid ridiculous since eclipse freezes my computer up occasionally and I've had my current comp 3 years just thinking it's time for an upgrade

Not a fan of AMD? We can't be friends. ;)

OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Lol yea i'm an intel guy don't want anything else but that for my processor :biggrin:

but i think that laptop i built aboce is pretty perfect probably gonna pay the 89 for the stupid custom skin as well i know probably a waste but going all out on this laptop ha. Now to just come up with a good image for it

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am a big toshiba fan :happy3: but that things expensive for a dual core and only 6gbs of ram not for me the graphics card isn't great either not that i really care about that i wonder why that one's so expensive i guess the solid state drive?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I am a big toshiba fan :happy3: but that things expensive for a dual core and only 6gbs of ram not for me the graphics card isn't great either not that i really care about that i wonder why that one's so expensive i guess the solid state drive?

Very slim form factor, backlit keyboard, SSD (for sure), and materials used I think make it that price.

To be honest I don't need all that power, I'm surfin away on a dual-core all-in-one with no problems for the past 3 years and it's still holding it's own. That ultrabook is damn sexy though:D

I've never had a toshiba tbh, I'm a Vaio guy, last 6 years I've used a vaio laptop and this all-in-one

I do need a real laptop for school though: netbook isn't that (hp mini 1000) and my cr48 needs to be connected to work...

Last edited:
OP
gflam

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I'm a huge Toshiba fan so I really like to look there first just never found anything with the power I wanted for the right price found a qosmio I liked a lot but it was a lot more than the one I built and had slightly lower specs plus it was 17.3 which is too large for me since I do put my laptop in the laptop compartment of my backpack which is a little small and take my comp to my classes.

I also need more space than 128gbs ha but I think I'm good very much liking what I built just need a sweet image for the skin I'll probably get on it found a few images so far I'll post them when at the laptop and maybe you guys might have a few cool wallpapers or images or whatever that'd be appreciated since I feel like it's a tattoo and I can't decide on one image that totally rocks as much as the comp ha