SD vs Internal

doublea500

Reaction score
i believe both have their ups and downs.
heres what i think are the good parts of them. i was going to put cons down but now that i think about it, the cons of each, are not having the pros of the other:D.

Internal
-Quicker
-no loading sd card
-never have to worry about apps taking too much memory and getting the "low memory" notification

SD
-easier to move files/share files
-upgradable, not built into phone

Personally, i like having an sd card alot more. What do you guys prefer/think about this? Anything to add on?

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Luckily with ICS, the microUSB can access SD cards (it should anyways, HC does). You need the cable and it may be more awkward having a cable sticking out the bottom, but if you really need to access an SD card it should be possible.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I'll like using the cable more, I don't have to take the back cover off, take the card out ect...

Seems almost a little more streamlined this way.

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
I think I'll like using the cable more, I don't have to take the back cover off, take the card out ect...

Seems almost a little more streamlined this way.

you do know you can just plug in the cable to your computer and then allow storage and it will do the same thing right? i have a og droid as well and i have always done it this way. make sure your have the drivers installed, which i am sure you probably already have done.

Reaction score
I have needed to pull my sdcard to recover data or load an update.zip so i could flash when i was stuck in a bootloop. I am nervous in that regard. I have not been storing large amounts of data on my phone for a year now and love cloud storage. I dont mind if its not removable. I just hope I can find a good general purpose cloud based storage that is quick because I will be operating at 4g speed! woot!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
you do know you can just plug in the cable to your computer and then allow storage and it will do the same thing right? i have a og droid as well and i have always done it this way. make sure your have the drivers installed, which i am sure you probably already have done.

Yeah I use this method already with my OG.

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
I have needed to pull my sdcard to recover data or load an update.zip so i could flash when i was stuck in a bootloop.

for next time, if there is a next time:D you could have just gone into your recovery and used a cable. the recoveries, or at least cwk recovery, has sd storage options.

another quick question. for the motorola razr. what is the point of the sd card if they cant access it because it has a permanent immovable cover.

Rayv

Reaction score
another quick question. for the motorola razr. what is the point of the sd card if they cant access it because it has a permanent immovable cover.
It is accessed from the outside of the phone. There is a little cover you pop open to get to it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I like SD, because I enjoy having the ability to shove one of my 16GB cards in and having more storage.

The USB stuff is cool and all, but having to carry that dongle is going to be a PITA. In addition to an external memory card. IMO just easier to have it in the phone and be on your way.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
It is accessed from the outside of the phone. There is a little cover you pop open to get to it.

i was never a fan of that. i know i would just play with it until the cover broke and then the sd card would get lost somehow. i prefer it inside, hidden under the battery. it really isnt needed the be used that often and should not be a "shortcut" as a place on the side of the phone.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the problem with that is the Razr's battery isn't removable, so you can't put the SD card there or it doesn't do much for you.

It also looks like most manufacturers are moving in this direction of creating devices with non removable back plates.

Honestly, this isn't a concern of mine. I don't need access to my SD card and I think we'll have more than enough internal storage in the future in our phones. We're going to be moving closer and closer to storing all data in the cloud, this is one thing that will catch on because it gives you access to your data at any place you happen to be or any device you happen to be using.

Once people become more familiar, I believe they'll find it's a very effective way to store data.

JuniorJays

Reaction score
Well the problem with that is the Razr's battery isn't removable, so you can't put the SD card there or it doesn't do much for you.

It also looks like most manufacturers are moving in this direction of creating devices with non removable back plates.

Honestly, this isn't a concern of mine. I don't need access to my SD card and I think we'll have more than enough internal storage in the future in our phones. We're going to be moving closer and closer to storing all data in the cloud, this is one thing that will catch on because it gives you access to your data at any place you happen to be or any device you happen to be using.

Once people become more familiar, I believe they'll find it's a very effective way to store data.

Almost positive the SD card is on the outside so the removable battery cover will not matter

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Almost positive the SD card is on the outside so the removable battery cover will not matter

Yes, I'm aware, I was responding to the poster above me who said they didn't like the idea of having the flip down part on the outside where you remove the SD card.

Edit: He's no longer above me, but at the bottom of page 1. I should have quoted, fail.

JuniorJays

Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware, I was responding to the poster above me who said they didn't like the idea of having the flip down part on the outside where you remove the SD card.

Edit: He's no longer above me, but at the bottom of page 1. I should have quoted, fail.

My bad sir

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No worries, was my fault for not quoting who I was responding to.