SD card wont mount

JFrawls

Reaction score
As the title says... my SD card wont mount. I'm trying to figure out why.

Here is the back drop, SD mounted and working fine this morning. I flashed Bean's Custom Stock Rom and restored all my apps and data with Titanium backup. Once the restore completed, it said recommended to reboot so I did. When she fired back up the phone goes through the step to try and prepare the card then says that it is safe to remove.

Here is what I've tried so far. another reboot. Going into the setting to mount the card, doesn't work. safely removed card and re-inserted while powered on, powered off removed card and reinstalled and booted up.

Nothing seems to be working, its frustrating since this card has been working fine up til about 30 minutes ago

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My guess would be that it's an issue associated with the ROM you're running. I'd ask about it in the thread you linked to, or ask the developer of the ROM directly (on whatever site he/she posts).

OP
JFrawls

JFrawls

Reaction score
ahh bsweetness you were right it seems. I did more digging around the web reading dozens of thread pages it looks like the issues is that the ROM doesn't support exFAT only FAT32. So I would need to reformat my sdxc card in order to have it work...

I think I'm just going to restore and not mess with my precious 64gb card

napjester

Reaction score
Here are your only options right now.
1- Go back to the Stock ROM (which you have done)
2-Backup your SD card to your desktop, use a 3rd party software to reformat it as FAT32 (which I just did last night, took all of 5 min to reformat but a long time to copy everything off and back onto the card).
3-Use a ROM that supports exFAT SDCards (like Synergy). That might be the best option if you want to try something new without changing your card.

I decided to reformat because I wanted to try CM10 and Beans without restrictions and I want to be able to do nandroid backups directly to the external sdcard. From what I've read, the main benefit of exFAT is the ability to save files bigger than 4GB (ex HD movies). I'm not in the business of saving those on my phone right now (only HD tv shows at ~ 1-2GB). I'm going to play around a little. If I want to go back to exFAT, I'll just backup, let the phone format it, and restore the data.

OP
JFrawls

JFrawls

Reaction score
Here are your only options right now.
1- Go back to the Stock ROM (which you have done)
2-Backup your SD card to your desktop, use a 3rd party software to reformat it as FAT32 (which I just did last night, took all of 5 min to reformat but a long time to copy everything off and back onto the card).
3-Use a ROM that supports exFAT SDCards (like Synergy). That might be the best option if you want to try something new without changing your card.

I decided to reformat because I wanted to try CM10 and Beans without restrictions and I want to be able to do nandroid backups directly to the external sdcard. From what I've read, the main benefit of exFAT is the ability to save files bigger than 4GB (ex HD movies). I'm not in the business of saving those on my phone right now (only HD tv shows at ~ 1-2GB). I'm going to play around a little. If I want to go back to exFAT, I'll just backup, let the phone format it, and restore the data.

What did you use to reformat the card?

napjester

Reaction score
I used a program called EaseUS partition master home edition (the free one!). You will need to do this with the sdcard plugged into you computer with a sdcard reader, not plugged into your phone.