Another SD card problem!

Screamms

Reaction score
Heyyyy, i recently got the s3 and i had an 8 gb card in there that worked fine... untill i purchased a new 64gb card and now when i put it in my phone it says "preparing card" and then says "you can now safely remove card". i looked all over for an answer to this problem but i cant. Please help!! (Put it into terms someone not so technology savvy can understand please)

Here is the card i got (people say all they had to do was just put it in their phone and it worked)
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-064G-U46A: Electronics

clueless77

Reaction score
quick question. did you power down device then insert the sd and then power it back up? also i got the 32gb version of that and it went corrupt after two days.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
64GB cards have been known to not play real well with Android. Especially the newer ones.... I would make sure it is formatted properly and also try to restart the phone like offered above.... Vulcan1600 had similar issues with a 64GB card he had purchased. It would work then not work then work then after a few days it finally died....

clueless77

Reaction score
Funny thing is, those new class 10 ultimate cards are supposed to be optimized for android. I'll never buy another now that I know there's an issue. I thought it was something I had done.

OP
S

Screamms

Reaction score
quick question. did you power down device then insert the sd and then power it back up? also i got the 32gb version of that and it went corrupt after two days.

Yes i did, i plugged the card into my friends phone and it said "Damaged SD card. You may need to reformat it"

OP
S

Screamms

Reaction score
Same thing and reformatting does nothing at all. There's an issue with those cards
Damn... well what would you recommend, i get a replacement shipped and see if it works or just get a refund? Because i have read A LOT of reviews were people had no problems with it at all

clueless77

Reaction score
I'd go for a refund and get a class 6 64gb or 32gb as I have heard a few issues with 64gb cards being dumb with these devices. I unfortunately can't get a refund.

OP
S

Screamms

Reaction score
Alright well i finally got it to give me the option of formatting it and it formats it and says "Blank SD card or has unsupported file system". If the file system thing is the problem is there any way i could fix that (like i said not to familiar with this stuff haha)

clueless77

Reaction score
What are you formatting it to. FAT32 OR EXTFAT. I'm assuming you're on windows. But I'll tell you, I formatted mine about 20 times in every way I could think of

OP
S

Screamms

Reaction score
What are you formatting it to. FAT32 OR EXTFAT. I'm assuming you're on windows. But I'll tell you, I formatted mine about 20 times in every way I could think of
Yeah i believe you, its just that they lost my first order and this is the second one and i realllly dont want to wait for another one. On my phone it just gave me the option to format and i clicked it, and yes im on windows. If there is anyway i can try to get this to work im willing to do it. And thank you SO much for being so helpful :happy3:

clueless77

Reaction score
I'm actually googling some stuff right now because I had a similar issue before. I'll post back and see if we can't get these bad boys working

clueless77

Reaction score
Okay. Try this, put your card into the reader and make sure the slide lock on the reader is in the unlocked position, its down away from the micro sd . Put in your PC and make sure its being read. Then go to your windows icon bottom left corner and right click over computer. You should get an option to manage. Click that, then click device manager. You should see your card at the bottom depending on how many drives you gave going. It'll say 64gb or a little less most likely. Click and highlight it then right click and select format. Choose FAT32 then format. See how that works.

OP
S

Screamms

Reaction score
Okay. Try this, put your card into the reader and make sure the slide lock on the reader is in the unlocked position, its down away from the micro sd . Put in your PC and make sure its being read. Then go to your windows icon bottom left corner and right click over computer. You should get an option to manage. Click that, then click device manager. You should see your card at the bottom depending on how many drives you gave going. It'll say 64gb or a little less most likely. Click and highlight it then right click and select format. Choose FAT32 then format. See how that works.
I really hate sounding dumb but i understand everything except the reader part. It came with an adapter that im pretty sure goes into my computer, if thats what you mean