sd card not read

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Anyone have their sd card get fouled up and have to format it? Out of the blue last week my Droid said couldn't read sd card and needed to format it....lost everything on it as I couldn't back it up to my pc. Thought it was weird when it happened and haven't had any troubles since. Hoping it was a fluke as I'm past my 30 days, but I've really had no other issues so I don't think my phone or card is defective. Would maybe knocking the card loose from a fall be the culprit?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just replied to you in the other thread, but cut and pasted into here, because I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar issue. I was also using Home++ when it happened, which you also said you were using.

I had a similar issue with my SD card on Saturday that concerned me enough that I might have to switch away from Home++. I took the SD card out and plugged it right into the computer using the card reader. I backed up all my music, ringtones, pictures, etc. and did a reformat of the card and put everything back on. I have about 1,500 pictures and I think Home++ just took forever to get the pictures into memory or something because it took a long time to be able to read everything even after the reformat.

OP
jstafford1

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Unfortunately I don't have a card reader for my pc or I would have tried what you did. As is didn't lose too much. Just hoping it doesn't happen again

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have a card reader for my pc or I would have tried what you did. As is didn't lose too much. Just hoping it doesn't happen again
How about hooking it to the USB while the card was still in your phone, and selecting "Mount" and I bet your info would have been in there. Try that next time.

OP
jstafford1

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hoping there is no next time but if so will try that didn't think of it at the time

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
Nerfed SD

Bummer!:mad:
I do the same with my Droid as I do on my three computers, make a mirror backup of everything on a regular basis. Just create a folder on your comp, connect and copy everything to it exactly. Select all and drag it to the folder. If the card messes up, just format it and drag the backup back on the card. DONE! Works for me.:icon_ banana: I use Astro File Manager to do this.

Vitticeps

Reaction score

Grab yourself one of these. I picked two up at my local Fry's for $3 each. Best $6 I ever spent. One sits nicely out of the way on the back of my laptop in an open usb port always ready and the other stays on my keychain with an 8gb card in it making it one of the smallest 8gb jump drives I've ever seen.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Better is to make a SD Backup and host it online....so you can grab it from anywhere ;)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Better is to make a SD Backup and host it online....so you can grab it from anywhere ;)
Where online would you be able to store a backup? I've never really thought about it, but that would be a great idea.

My other question was for Thermal Guy. Sure I understand moving the files all over to the computer,but why would I need to use Astro to bring them back? Is it somehow faster with Astro? Couldn't I just drag and drop back to the SD card after it's been formatted?

ThermalGuy

Reaction score
Where online would you be able to store a backup? I've never really thought about it, but that would be a great idea.

My other question was for Thermal Guy. Sure I understand moving the files all over to the computer,but why would I need to use Astro to bring them back? Is it somehow faster with Astro? Couldn't I just drag and drop back to the SD card after it's been formatted?

I just find Astro easier and more intuitive to use than the "stock' app that comes baked in. It also gives you access to directories that you won't see with the basic file manager I believe. That's a two edged sword though. They are hidden for a reason. You can brick the phone if you hose one of them accidentally.

There are tons of online storage sites. Just Google for free online storage.
Box.net, Microsofts SkyDrive, SugarSync, Mozy, ADrive are a few. some paid, Some free. YMMV
Dana