Screen is cutting my thumb

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Ok this is probably going to sound nutty... lol
When I pull the notification bar down on my dx ... I tend to go up to the top middle of the screen where it says "motorola" ... I noticed something similar to paper cuts on my right thumb ... I guess the glass screen is raised a tiny bit and its cutting my thumb.

I love my dx I just think this is a funny design flaw or something. I'm trying to retrain myself to drag the notification bar from the corner.

Has anyone else noticed this with the raised glass? I have a case on it but wonder if a different case would prevent this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

luv2increase

Reaction score
When I pull the notification bar down on my dx ... I tend to go up to the top middle of the screen where it says "motorola" ... I noticed something similar to paper cuts on my right thumb ... I guess the glass screen is raised a tiny bit and its cutting my thumb.

I love my dx I just think this is a funny design flaw or something. I'm trying to retrain myself to drag the notification bar from the corner.

Has anyone else noticed this with the raised glass? I have a case on it but wonder if a different case would prevent this.

Why do you go to the top of the screen to swipe downward??? You aren't supposed to do that.

You can swipe down ANYWHERE on the screen to bring down the notification bar. I usually swipe down in the middle of the phone.

No design flaw; you are just doing it incorrectly.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My glass is flat my finger can catch on the plastic lip for the hole for the speaker. But I never go up that high so it is not a problem.

travelingfool

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but if you install ADW Launcher from the market, you don't have to reach all the way to the top of the screen to pull down the notification bar. You can pull straight down anywhere on the screen and it pulls down the notification blind. It's very handy.

xlivewire7x

Reaction score

I've never heard of this happening before and it definitely is strange. I tried to repeatedly swipe my thumb over where you said you drag the notification bar down from and see if I got any cuts but my thumb was fine. You said you have a case on there, are you sure that the case isn't cutting your thumb?

travelingfool

Reaction score
I know this probably isn't the answer you are looking for, but if you install ADW Launcher from the market, you don't have to reach all the way to the top of the screen to pull down the notification bar. You can pull straight down anywhere on the screen and it pulls down the notification blind. It's very handy.

Edit: this only works from a home screen, not from apps obviously.

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I have to go to the to otherwise I just scroll.
Basically I have been going up to the notification bar and dragging down from the top/middle and I am hitting the speaker or mic area above the word motorola.

Coming from the d1 there wasn't as much of an indent up there.

No biggy, just something I noticed and wondered if others noticed too.

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
No its not the case, its the indent where the speaker is located. I think its just the way I did it with the d1 but am trying to retrain myself to drag down from top corner so I don't hit that spot.
This happened over 10 days so its not something I really noticed until I started to pay better attention.

fivaxis

Reaction score
Why do you go to the top of the screen to swipe downward??? You aren't supposed to do that.

You can swipe down ANYWHERE on the screen to bring down the notification bar. I usually swipe down in the middle of the phone.

I have to touch the notification bar and swipe, if you can bring it down from the middle of the screen then how would you be able to scroll through sites or programs?

travelingfool

Reaction score

I have to touch the notification bar and swipe, if you can bring it down from the middle of the screen then how would you be able to scroll through sites or programs?

He must be using ADW Launcher. It allows you to do this, but only on home screens, not within apps.

Guyute

Reaction score
I've never put my thumb up there until I read this thread. Just don't put your thumb there, no need to.

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Thanks.
As I said, I have been avoiding that area since I realized it was scraping my thumb but wondered if others had noticed a slightly sharp area there or is it just my dx.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I'm with you

sort of

I'm not sure what some people are talking about, but I have to go to the top of the screen with my thumb, too, to bring down the notification bar. I am using launcher pro plus, so maybe that is why everyone else can just swipe anywhere and it brings it down.

However, my screen is perfectly smooth form motorola down, so I don't have the papercut issue you are referring to. I can see if the plastic above motorola might not be perfectly smooth and give you trouble (most likely just a bad piece from the mold.

You could try and take it back to verizon and explain it to them, but they aren't that accommodating and they usually aren't that nice, so it will be a touch sell.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah I am not using Launcher Pro and I can't just swipe down anywhere on my screen to get my notification bar. I have to go up to the top to bring it down or hitting the menu button and go to notifications. Either way I don't go up far enough to catch on anything.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
This is more than likely what another poster mentioned, a flaw in the actual housing casting in the speaker area as the actual glass screen is recessed so as to be smooth across the board. If it is in fact the screen glass cutting you, I would for sure carry the phone to Verizon and have them inspect it.

It is natural for a standard phone not running any additional Launcher Apps for people to go up the middle of the screen to activate the Notification Bar drop down since there are icons generally on both sides but not in the middle...