Glass cracked, digitizer and LCD ok.

dbb1porter

Reaction score
UUUGGHHHH...after taking extra care of the Maxx in its protective rubber casing for almost 2 years, it got dropped on a corner and the glass is ruined. Works fine if you don't mind tiny glass shards in your thumb. No distortion or off coloration or non responsive areas on the screen, just spider webs, cracks and slight protusions of glass from the screen.

I guessing the digitizer and LCD are fine and just need to replace the glass. But there are varying opinions on the forums and web if this can be done.

Are the glass and digitizer fused and can't be seperated, is it not worth trying to separate the two due to damage caused during the separation of the three?

I am due for an upgrade soon, maybe the Moto X if the specs pan out, and dont want to give the insurance deductible if I can do it myself for $20...but I'm thinking this is wishful thinking.

Your thoughts?

GotnFX

Reaction score
I suggest you do a search on YouTube. There are a ton of tear down and screen replacement videos for the RAZR. I just saw one by iRepairFast.

OP
D

dbb1porter

Reaction score
Should have searched Ebay along with the YouTube vids. Just ordered glass with digitizer for $20...with tools.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Should have searched Ebay along with the YouTube vids. Just ordered glass with digitizer for $20...with tools.

Awesome! The price you were hoping it would be..lol. Hope it all works out for you!

OP
D

dbb1porter

Reaction score
Thought I would follow up for the future folks who like to think they can fix everything and and are willing to try and will be searching the forums....got the digitizer and glass yesterday. There are some really good vids out there to assist with the breakdown. I was surprized how easy it was to disassemble (more surprizing was how careful and patient I actually was--take your time and don't rush it and have the right torx drivers). When I got to the front frame (frame, glass/digitizer, LCD) the video stopped there. Checked other sources...they all did the same. Uh oh. After a little more investigating, I learned just because you can buy the individual part, doesn't mean its replacable. I was deflated, mostly because I had to hear it from the better half, "See? I told you not to take that thing apart!!" Putting it back together was a snap. I had to show her that it still operated and no left over parts :icon_ devil:

I'm spending the $100 insurance deductable.

TL;DR - The LCD and glass are fused together. If you need to replace the screen, you NEED to buy the whole front face (frame, LCD, glass/digitizer).