So you think you don't need a screen protector huh????

nerdbox08

Reaction score
The screens are designed too take impact, much like windshields of cars, but a grain of sand WILL scratch the glass. There are other small debris that will scratch also.

The screen is resistant, not fool proof.

Micro finder cloths are recommend for their softness, that's why they are shipped with lcd monitors and tvs, just as someone said though, make sure it's clean.

Protectors are called protectors for a reason. Not everyone needs outlet plugs, but those with babies do, some people need screen protectors others don't. This doesn't have to be 100% either way. Preference is king.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glass is tough to scratch, but nature made a ton of things that will scratch it. I was of the no case and screen cover camp, and soon enough I had three scratches on my screen (one was very noticable) and I don't even live by the sea (notorious for scratching anything glass) as coral is better built. It doesn't matter what kind of microfiber you use, if it hasn't been cleaned, the debris on it will scratch the glass. I dislike that video hook posted...that guy gashed up the sides of a perfectly good droid.....I dare him to try that with a rock! Brass keys are way to soft to scratch glass...

OK. How about some Scissors?

[video=youtube;UTThudniXPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTThudniXPw&feature=related]YouTube - motorola droid scratch test[/video]

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying it's tough to do. Some people have had bad luck, no doubt. If you take a Dremel tool you can scratch it. zi understand sand can scratch it. I've dropped mine in cat litter no scratches.

It's a personal decision. If you want to be really safe by the screen protector. I don't think I need it.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I clean my screen with the spray and cloth meant for LCD TVs. I use it on my TVs and Droid all the time. Why would one use water to clean the screen? One lil shot of LCD monitor cleaner and wipe it. My Droid shines like day one every day.

J

Johnly

Glass is tough to scratch, but nature made a ton of things that will scratch it. I was of the no case and screen cover camp, and soon enough I had three scratches on my screen (one was very noticable) and I don't even live by the sea (notorious for scratching anything glass) as coral is better built. It doesn't matter what kind of microfiber you use, if it hasn't been cleaned, the debris on it will scratch the glass. I dislike that video hook posted...that guy gashed up the sides of a perfectly good droid.....I dare him to try that with a rock! Brass keys are way to soft to scratch glass...

OK. How about some Scissors?

[video=youtube;UTThudniXPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTThudniXPw&feature=related"]YouTube - motorola droid scratch test[/video]

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying it's tough to do. Some people have had bad luck, no doubt. If you take a Dremel tool you can scratch it. zi understand sand can scratch it. I've dropped mine in cat litter no scratches.

It's a personal decision. If you want to be really safe by the screen protector. I don't think I need it.
I like that one much better hook:) He is keeping the scissors on the Glass, there for not destroying the metal surrounding it! Much easier to watch. I am not putting my droid up for it, but a golf-ball sized rock will destroy that glass, and a drop to rock embedded pavement will destroy the glass, I know:) Good screen protectors are invisible, 20-30 bucks, and are military grade....just seems like common sense to me, but it is your device, and last I checked, those things weren't required for the manufacture to extend the warranty. To each his own:)

ctxx24

Reaction score
All screen protectors come w mfc ...its not that that scratched your screen..trust me when all these ppl scratch there screen they will wish they used one

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I understand and have seen every video out there. But scratches still can and will happen. Like I said anyone that doesn't want to use one don't. But to tell people they don't NEED one is flat out spreading false information.

Microfiber cleaning cloths are like the cloths that come with anti-glare eyeglasses and soft bags that Oakley sunglasses come in. They are extremely soft.[/quit]

That's your opinion, your entitled. I feel exactly the opposite, I think to tell people they need lens protectors isn't true. I prefer saying that then saying "spreading false information."

That's OK, we just disagree on that issue.

I have always used the moist towels that I get from WalMart on my plastic eye glass lens on my droid. Works great. And if it doesn't scratch my plastic lens, it won't scratch my Droid.

So we can agree to disagree. Not a problem with that at all. :)

ctxx24

Reaction score
That does suck tho i know my eyes would go straight to that scratch every time i looked at it...

jared.holloway

Reaction score
I agree. I'm waiting for my protector as we speak. Why wouldn't I want to protect my gem? DUMB to those that think otherwise. I've always protected my devices and never had any issues while using them.

great to see people who think that their way is the only good way, and in response... I have owned a blackberry storm, an iphone, ipod touch, an env touch, and a motorola droid... on all 4 devices i have used screen protectors purchased either from VZW or invisible shield as I am also more than borderline OCD when it comes to these things as well. these products are okay, if you like your screen to feel filmy or if you like to experience more glare, or if you like to desensitize your your touchscreen. I, like you, always thought it best to use a screen protector, until i made the brave move to remove it about 6 months ago,.... and 6 months later, not a single scratch... and i thoroughly enjoy swiping my finger over a naked touchscreen. TRY IT

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
But on another note there is tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for those who are OCD :D

J

Johnly

gorilla-glass.jpg

No doubt gorilla glass is stronger, but it is scratch able, breakable, and shatterable (plenty of droid pics on the web showing this. Most videos showing some on tapping in the screen is quite silly IMO. Take a rock, 2 feet up, and drop it on that sucker (any takers) No, please don't you WILL damage the glass, lol

Maybe it comes down to life style, if you are in an office all day and then retire to the soft leather couch, on a daily basis, yeah (low impact life eh?) But if you like to hike, bike, run, climb, get a screen protector and case. That would be what I recommend to a good buddy:)

tomah

Reaction score
if you have friends with droidx's and they bought the screen protector, you should ask them for 1. the package came with 3 of them:icon_ banana: