So you think you don't need a screen protector huh????

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
But on another note there is tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for those who are OCD :D

Got a script pad??? LOL

On a side note my Steinheil Crystal came in today. I installed it and I can't even see the scratch now. It was that small to begin with.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I tried screen protectors and for me personally, I find them annoying. They get dust under them and just don't look natural after a while. I'm not saying I SHOULDN'T use one. I'm just saying I don't for those reasons. If I scratch my screen I understand it won't be covered by the warranty and I will have to buy another Droid. I don't recommend that people go without a screen protector though. I am disabled and barely ever go anywhere anymore, so the chances of me hurting my Droid are minimal. However, If you are active and out and about often then you should probably use one. I would have one on my Droid if that was the case for me.

Kandiru

Reaction score
Paranoia and fear of injury is deeply rooted in the human psyche. This is how
auto dealers with make you pay $3000 for a ClearBra, $100 rubber mats that will not retain dust and cause you pneumoconiosis, etc etc. Cellular dealers dont fall back either.

Now y'all know the pain you had when you last accidentally destroyed a phone so act wisely.

Humpa

Reaction score
Guys, 11.99 (online) is a small price to pay to protect your expensive piece of equipment.
It sure ain't the price. ;) It is because I am not going to add another layer between me and interacting with my device - both visually and physically, for the life of the phone. Instead I'm going to be careful, a lilttle.

Now, if the phone was $10,000 instead of $199 I might change my tune. For the price of a big handfull of screen protectors I could get a new phone (at contract renewal pricing), so if after a few months I scratch my screen enough that it bugs me, I'll buy a Droid 2 and renew one of my lines and be on my way. :D
... my last 4 touchscreen phones went naked and none have a scratch. And I use my pocket and don't own a holster. So I'll continue to take this giant $199 risk and not use one.

ChugIt

Reaction score
$199 is when signing a contract. If your phone isn't covered in the warranty it will cost you much more to flat out buy a new Droid full retail. Still, I take my chances and am careful as well.

Humpa

Reaction score
$199 is when signing a contract. If your phone isn't covered in the warranty it will cost you much more to flat out buy a new Droid full retail. Still, I take my chances and am careful as well.
Yes. That's why I addressed that point. ;)

But you bring up another good point. The phone has a free 1yr warranty (as does any phone), so I could always do a warranty exchange - though this is not really fair to VZW/Moto, because you'd have to "break" the phone in such a way that would be covered by the warranty (because a scratch sure ain't).

Grifter

Reaction score
The way I look at it is like this......

Murphy's law states: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I just prefer to cover all of my bases, just in case. Knowing my luck, I'd not get a screen cover and somethign stupid would happen. Which would really tick me off. Especially if someone wanted to look at my new phone.

"Oh! Is that the new Droid X? Can I see it?......Dude, that's messed up, you've got this ugly scratch across your screen. Sucks to be you...."

So for now, I have one of the Verizon protectors on it until I get one from Zagg. Better to be safe, than to be sorry.

garath

Reaction score
No doubt gorilla glass is stronger, but it is scratch able, breakable, and shatterable (plenty of droid pics on the web showing this. Most videos showing some on tapping in the screen is quite silly IMO. Take a rock, 2 feet up, and drop it on that sucker (any takers) No, please don't you WILL damage the glass, lol

Maybe it comes down to life style, if you are in an office all day and then retire to the soft leather couch, on a daily basis, yeah (low impact life eh?) But if you like to hike, bike, run, climb, get a screen protector and case. That would be what I recommend to a good buddy:)

I assume by your examples here you are NOT referring to a $2.99 flimsy sheet of plastic that most think will protect against scratches better than the glass itself.

If you have any plans of rocks dropping on the droid, I would suggest an otter box or something comparable. Stick on screen protectors won't do a thing to help you.

Rebycman

Reaction score
With such a beautiful display I wouldn't leave the store unless I had a screen protector in place! I had my LG Dare for 2 years and the screen on it is pristine as the day I got it thanks to these screen protectors!

k-bueno

Reaction score
No doubt gorilla glass is stronger, but it is scratch able, breakable, and shatterable (plenty of droid pics on the web showing this. Most videos showing some on tapping in the screen is quite silly IMO. Take a rock, 2 feet up, and drop it on that sucker (any takers) No, please don't you WILL damage the glass, lol

Maybe it comes down to life style, if you are in an office all day and then retire to the soft leather couch, on a daily basis, yeah (low impact life eh?) But if you like to hike, bike, run, climb, get a screen protector and case. That would be what I recommend to a good buddy:)

I assume by your examples here you are NOT referring to a $2.99 flimsy sheet of plastic that most think will protect against scratches better than the glass itself.

If you have any plans of rocks dropping on the droid, I would suggest an otter box or something comparable. Stick on screen protectors won't do a thing to help you.

Yes, the 2.99 flimsy sheets don't do much, but the thicker "military grade" (LOL) covers actually do protect. Case in point, my old storm was dropped (which is a factor for everyone) onto the concrete. Nice divot into the screen protector...but guess what? Instead of scratching the screen, the protector did it's job and took the impact. $10 later I had a new screen protector and good to go.