Screen goes black when placing a call

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by MAzing87, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

I swapped out my Droid for the one VZW sent because the original one would drop my calls and screen black out.

The replacement Droid works but one minor problem, every time I make a call the screen goes black and never lights up even when I press the power button. The only way the screen lights up is if I slide out to open the physical keys. Very annoying if I wanted to punch in numbers for voicemail, etc. This didn't happen in the original Droid. Can this be fixed? Or would I need to call VZW yet again.
  2. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Are you making sure nothing is covering the proximity sensor, in the top left of your phone?
  3. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

Nothing should be covering it but I must mention that I am using the shell casing. I used it on my old Droid but it shouldn't be covering that anyway.
  4. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

Try making a call "naked", and yea i mean the phone XD. See if it fixes it. A screen protector may also be the problem...
  5. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by calling naked. And I don't have a screen protector on like I did with my last phone. Just the hard shell casing. Could it be that the sensor isn't working?
  6. toastedoats

toastedoats New Member

same thing happened to me with one of my refurb replacements, just take it back to VZW and get another one
  7. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

naked, meaning without a case on it. but that won't matter, no cases should cover the proximity sensor...

maybe give us a list of apps you have installed? there might be something fighting the screen sleep thing..
  8. toastedoats

toastedoats New Member

When I had issues with mine I did a factory wipe and the proximity sensor was even keeping the screen black on the activation dialer screen
  9. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

This happen well before I added any apps. I would dial a number and it would immediately go black. It won't light up if I press the power button, only when I slide the top out as if I wanted to use the keys. It's annoying that I have to deal with that. I am rooted also, so I'm gonna have to unroot, and go to Verizon again!
  10. lchavez289

lchavez289 New Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I took off my screen protector and my case... still nothing. What eerrkkss me is that I just got this as a refurbished droid bc my other one had a power button issue. Should I take it back? I've also had a lot of FCing on this phone even with the 2.1 update
  11. MAzing87

MAzing87 New Member

Yea, most likely. For a refurbished phone, how could they not pick up on this annoyance?
  12. deathtoll2001

deathtoll2001 New Member

Same here

I also have this exact issue. It did not happen before 2.1 bricked my phone and I picked up a refurb, so I'm not sure if it's 2.1 or the refurb that has the problem...
  13. sumdude

sumdude New Member

Same Stuff Here

I've had this issue for a long time now. I may be taking back to VZW for a swap due to a different issue, so we'll see if it ends up getting fixed.
  14. APBTMOMMY

APBTMOMMY New Member

I am having same problem. My original Droid, went black after the 2.1 update and never light up again, so called talked to a lot of different people, went to the store, they took apart every thing they could and was not able to get it to work again. So they ordered me another one, got the new one in the mail, activate it, everything is peachy, then all of sudden this screen goes black and was not able to get it to light back up unless I plugged the charger into it or took the battery out. So I yet again call, go to the store, there not able to do anything with it, so now I am waiting on the 3rd one to get shipped to me and I probably will not get it until Monday. I love the phone, but I am not liking what I am having to go through to get one that works properly. Now my boyfriend on the other hand, has one does all kinds of things with it and it is working fine, he never has a problem with it. ughhh.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  15. lchavez289

lchavez289 New Member

I have the answer!
    So I started working at verizon a few days ago.
    I placed my own tech call on my droid for problems that were all having..
    It is covered by manufacter's warrently as long as you don't have any physical or water damage you will receive a refurbished replacement.
    -LC
  16. adamsredlines

adamsredlines New Member

What's the answer....is it a recent fix?
    My first droid did this, and my refurb does too...its quite annoying.
  17. lchavez289

lchavez289 New Member

no fix, just gotta keep getting the refurbs.. I just got my 5th one today..
  18. Onewheel2dasky

Onewheel2dasky New Member

?????

Anyone know how to delete the green monster guy when making a call???
  19. athurschwell

athurschwell New Member

The same damn thing

is happening to me. I had a separate problem with my original Verizon/Motorola Droid, sent it in for a replacement, and the refurbished, "certified" (ha ha ha) model had this identical problem (blackout after call, etc.). Sent it back, received another refurbished version with the same problem. Is Verizon going to do something about this? I'm about ready to go hold a sit-in in my nearest Verizon store until they give me a new one.
  20. inkslinger00743

inkslinger00743 New Member

I had my lg ally for a day and it started doing this. I figured out theres a light sensor so when you have the phone up to your ear where theres no light the screen goes black. I used a friends cell,called my ally and screen went black and couldn't get it to come back on....so, i put the phone screen close to a light and the screen reappeared and I had function back. Im going to be sending it back for a another refurb. but im sure it will probably do the same thing. Looks like lots and lots of people are having the same problem with this phone.
Search tags for this page

android black screen in call

i make a call the screen goes black on lg840g

lg lucid screen goes black

lg nexus screen goes blank after calling

lg phone no display when placing a call

lg-p716 screen going black when on call

my lg840g phone's screen keeps going black when i make a cal

my screewn goes out when i call someone

nexus 4 black screen on call

nexus lg4 screen turns black when receiving and making a cal

why does my lg840g screen go blank when i call someone