Screen Doesn't Turn Back on When Finishing a Call

romena54

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for reading and any responses in advance. I dropped my 7-week-old DNA a couple weeks ago and bit the $200 bullet to have a new screen installed. I have a case now, so hopefully that doesn't happen again. Anyways, after the phone was dropped/screen cracked, I noticed that I had to push the power button to get the screen to come back on when I was ready to end a call. I hoped that when I got the new screen put it, it would solve the issue, but it hasn't. It's like the phone doesn't sense that it's going from my ear to a horizontal position. All other screen orientation changes (portrait to landscape, etc.) work fine.

It's something I know I could get used to, but it's pretty annoying to have to hit the power button then hit 'End Call'. If it's of any use, the crack on the phone started on the top right corner (just above the volume rocker), then went clear across the phone.

Any thoughts on ways to address this would be great from a hardware or software standpoint would be great. One easy fix I thought of was if there was a way for the screen to stay on the whole time I'm on a call instead of going black after a short while. Couldn't find a way to do that though. The company that put the new screen on for me will be opening the phone up one more time for another minor issue, so I could have them tackle a hardware issue at that time.

Thanks much!

Wolfman38

Reaction score
It sounds like the proximity sensor maybe damaged. The sensor is on the right side of the ear speaker grill. It may have been damaged when you dropped the phone.

Posted from a Droid DNA

OP
R

romena54

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the tip. Do you know if this is a replaceable part?

Also, I did some more toying with things. Played around with the Sleep function to keep the screen on for 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m, 2m, 10m or Never turn off. When I am the one initiating the call, the screen goes black almost immediately after I hit 'Call' and it won't light back up unless I hit the power button. When receiving calls, however, if I have the Sleep function on one of the timers and not Never turn off, and I quickly tap 'Answer', the screen goes black. With Never turn off, I can tap it too, it will stay on - but not on calls I make. The strangest part is, if I hold my finger on the 'Answer' button for a little bit instead of a quick tap, the screen will stay on as long as I'm on the call, no matter what Sleep setting.

Not sure what any of this means, just thought I'd put all the evidence on the table. I'll now start looking at the proximity sensor.

AJClueless

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my DNA, only it wasn't until AFTER the screen was replaced. The tech man told me that it was probably damaged in the drop, (which wasn't even a drop, but a slide out of my pocket, sitting less than an foot off the ground) Anyhow... It is a replaceable part. The place I had mine fixed told me that it was about $50, and offered to repair it for free because I was throwing a fit that it didn't stop working until after the screen replacement. (sorry, a lot of randomness)

Short answer, YES, you can replace that part. :)

Reaction score
the $500 question, do you have insurance on the phone? I drop and crack the screen about 8weeks after i got it. Went to verizon put a claim in. $100 later and next day i had a new phone.