ICS Updated, now Phone Screen doesn't turn back on in-call when removing from ear?

acejavelin

Reaction score
There is nothing to do to use it, just start the app... I would have expected it to always say NEAR actually in your case, since your screen doesn't ever turn on on a call automatically. Now my app does say 0.0cm or 9.0cm, not near and far, using Proximity Sensor Finder. I think it is Phone Tester that gives the Near/Far responses.

Also, go into a very dark room with the lights off, then start Proximity sensor finder... can you see a faint red light just at the tip of the shortend of the Verizon "checkmark" symbol indicating the sensor is functioning?

nachodroid

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat The OP and others here. I started a thread after the update to ICS. My phone has done all the suggested fixes lsited above; except calling Verizon. The last call I had to Verizon they suggested I upgreade to ICS. Then I started not liking my Rezound.
I have had to pull the battery to hang up a call because even though I can get the screen to turn on by pushing the power button. I can't touch the end call button quick enough before the screen turns off (or the screen doesnt feel it). This is definatly a bug with ICS. I would rather have stayed with GB. I

Eric

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just received a refurbished Rezound, and it has this same issue. Obviously it came in the box with ICS already on it, so basically already effectively reset to factory stock. I tried clearing the data and cache of the phone app. I do have a screen protector that I put on immediately, which I will try removing. I do have a question though. If this is a hardware problem, then why does the proximity sensor work fine turning the screen off when I put the phone to my ear, but won't turn it back on when I take it away? (I really don't want to have to go through the whole, "return the phone for a new one" thing again. What a pain.) Or has there been any other solutions to this in the time that has passed since this topic was last discussed? Thanks!

carl2222zz

Reaction score
My problem was proximity sensor.

I know this is an old thread, but I just received a refurbished Rezound, and it has this same issue. Obviously it came in the box with ICS already on it, so basically already effectively reset to factory stock. I tried clearing the data and cache of the phone app. I do have a screen protector that I put on immediately, which I will try removing. I do have a question though. If this is a hardware problem, then why does the proximity sensor work fine turning the screen off when I put the phone to my ear, but won't turn it back on when I take it away? (I really don't want to have to go through the whole, "return the phone for a new one" thing again. What a pain.) Or has there been any other solutions to this in the time that has passed since this topic was last discussed? Thanks!

My problem was the proximity sensor. I don't know why ICS triggered it...perhaps just coincidence. At any rate, these things fail. Getting a replacement phone fixed it for me. The proximity sensor tells the screen to shut off when the phone is next to your face (after receiving a phone call) to save power. When you take the phone away from your face, it should go back on. Mine would not. Interesting enough, it WOULD work when in very bright light, like outdoors. So the proximity sensor works in conjuction with a light meter on the phone. I think my proximity sensor was on the top left part of the phone (HTC Rezound), and the light sensor is in the front camera on the top right part of the phone. You can test it by calling your phone and covering the sensor with your thumb to see if it makes the screen go out. Remove the thumb to see if the screen comes back on. Test in different lighting...make a new call for each test. You cannot easily see the proximity sensor...it is not as apparant as the camera...but it is there. Make sure your protective case (if you have one) does not cover it as well.

acejavelin

Reaction score
The other possibility is that your proximity sensor was marginal but fit within the GB parameters, and when ICS came it changes the parameters slightly or that portion got corrupted. If you are rooted, or willing to root, there is an app that allows you to calibrate it in the market by Chad0898 (a legendary developer on XDA).

Eric

Reaction score
Phone is "new" and came with ICS on it, so unfortunately I really can't compare between GB and ICS on this particular phone. The phone it replaced had GB, and the proximity detection worked fine. (Long story, but I couldn't get the ICS OTA on the old phone, so they gave me a replacement.)

I was able to locate the proximity sensor, and it is indeed up near the very top just to the left of center. (It is just above the V for Verizon.) My screen protector doesn't cover that area, so it's not that. I did check it under brighter lighting conditions, and it did work as it did for carl2222zz! So perhaps it was a change in parameters in ICS as you say, acejavelin. (It seems odd to me that they would use a light sensor for this function, because it seems obvious that it would have problems working in the dark.)

I really prefer not to mess around with rooting the phone, or have to go through the process of taking it back (since I just went through that.) So I guess I'll just live with it, at least for now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.